AG up for sale

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I popped into the recently opened one in Machynnys on Friday to try 3 woods as mine is not behaving at the moment only the new Titleist ranged and Epic were available to try.

Sad state of affairs

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The stores do look quite sad at the moment. As much as I've run them down on here at times, I hope they can find their place and come back.

Was in the Gosforth store during the week, and the place was pretty sparse in terms of stock. Am surprised that one avoided the chop as it's pretty poor compared to the Metro Centre store, and doesn't seem to get many customers in.

On a positive note, they accepted my £10 birthday voucher which they mailed me before the takeover, so got 2 Mizuno gloves for a fiver :)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I popped into the recently opened one in Machynnys on Friday to try 3 woods as mine is not behaving at the moment only the new Titleist ranged and Epic were available to try.

Sad state of affairs

The take over has not been completed yet. You can’t expect all the stores to be up and running fully stocked with the administration affairs sorted just one week after the take over was agreed.

They were on hard times and went into administration. The takeover needs to be completed before the new company can settle debts and get supplier accounts active again.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was in the Gosforth store during the week, and the place was pretty sparse in terms of stock. Am surprised that one avoided the chop as it's pretty poor compared to the Metro Centre store, and doesn't seem to get many customers in.

On a positive note, they accepted my £10 birthday voucher which they mailed me before the takeover, so got 2 Mizuno gloves for a fiver :)
Hey, leave that one alone😱. I was in a week or so ago and I agree it looked a bit sad but normally it's a good shop. Hopefully it will stock up again. Easier to get to for me than the metro centre one. I always struggle to get the correct turning to get into the metro shop. I end up going round a couple of times 😁

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Gosforth store is in a poor location, the parking is restricted coupled with bad access due to the dual carriageway.
Get your bearings better around the Metro Centre for a better shopping experience 👍

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I understand that Ping had stopped supplying (not 100% sure if that's correct but what I was told). I know it'll take time for the administrators and the new owners to sort all the backlog issues out financially so will Ping supply again?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I understand that Ping had stopped supplying (not 100% sure if that's correct but what I was told). I know it'll take time for the administrators and the new owners to sort all the backlog issues out financially so will Ping supply again?
Hopefully not, American golf has strangled the club pro for soo long. First signs of trouble were earlier this year with titleist not supplying AG, they were obviously trying to hold suppliers to ransom to make up for their own shortcomings. What go's around comes around

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Gosforth store is in a poor location, the parking is restricted coupled with bad access due to the dual carriageway.
Get your bearings better around the Metro Centre for a better shopping experience 👍
True, the parking is rubbish but I can get a nice tea and cake in the M&S cafe opposite 😁.

Trying to master those junctions at the metro centre takes far more skill and knowledge than I possess. It's in my satnav but even that struggles, okay still me, as those slip roads and turns in are close and I keep going wrong. I suspect you are right though and I'm going to have to practice that trip a little more in order to crack it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hopefully not, American golf has strangled the club pro for soo long. First signs of trouble were earlier this year with titleist not supply in AG, they were obviously trying to hold suppliers to ransom to make up for their own shortcomings. What go's around comes around
But surely the best thing for AG customers is to offer them the widest range of clubs. If the likes of Titleist, Ping etc don't supply, I would suggest some golfers will look elsewhere when they consider new clubs so they can try them

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
But surely the best thing for AG customers is to offer them the widest range of clubs. If the likes of Titleist, Ping etc don't supply, I would suggest some golfers will look elsewhere when they consider new clubs so they can try them
That would be best if the likes of titleist and ping refused to play ball, customers would then go and get fit from local club shops or grab bargains online. American golf charge the same price as a club pro for clubs but don't offer a service that can match, they are a business looking to make profit for shareholders. A club pro has a personal reputation to uphold and will usually bend over backwards to keep customers happy

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That would be best if the likes of titleist and ping refused to play ball, customers would then go and get fit from local club shops or grab bargains online. American golf charge the same price as a club pro for clubs but don't offer a service that can match, they are a business looking to make profit for shareholders. A club pro has a personal reputation to uphold and will usually bend over backwards to keep customers happy
Totally and you have to support the club pro or they cease to exist although that does assume the pro puts themselves out. Our old one had been there twenty odd years, would do little in terms of driving new sales or price matching and had very limited stock with no inclination to get any test clubs in

D

Deleted member 15344

There are thousands of golfers out there who aren’t members of a club and don’t have a pro to go to - also pros don’t stock the full range of golf equipment , they only mainly stock max 2/3 and even then a lot of times their choices of shaft isn’t great and then you add in not all clubs have great pros and most of them are also looking after their own business.

There is a place in the sport for AG - a crucial space , one that helps the nomad golfer or golfer who doesn’t have a pro shop to visit

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Any member of public can take a lesson or purchase goods from any club pro, they will be happy for the business. Don't know where the people arnt members comes into it ?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
As fo
There are thousands of golfers out there who aren’t members of a club and don’t have a pro to go to - also pros don’t stock the full range of golf equipment , they only mainly stock max 2/3 and even then a lot of times their choices of shaft isn’t great and then you add in not all clubs have great pros and most of them are also looking after their own business.

There is a place in the sport for AG - a crucial space , one that helps the nomad golfer or golfer who doesn’t have a pro shop to visit
as for shaft choices, I'm a pretty experienced golfer and better than 99.5% of amateurs and more than once been told off AG you should go to titleist or tm to get fit because basically we dont have what you need and pretty much we don't know enough about it to answer all your questions

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Any member of public can take a lesson or purchase goods from any club pro, they will be happy for the business. Don't know where the people arnt members comes into it ?
I think a lot of non-members would feel intimidated going to a private club and using the pro for gear. I think it goes back to the bad old days where private clubs were kept as that, private

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can only give my own experience and I've never felt intimidated or unwelcome at any golf club or pro shop
And that's a good thing but I think for a lot of new golfers and even some nomadic ones would still find the idea of pulling into a private club and going into the pro shop and asking to try new gear intimidating. It's not right but still the way it is for many

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can only give my own experience and I've never felt intimidated or unwelcome at any golf club or pro shop

Just because you haven't doesn't mean others won't be.
Newbies may be welcomed with open arms but it doesn't stop people being intimidated by the process.
I doubt many new golfers would waltz up to the Pro shop at Birkdale or similar without reservations of what they were doing.

D

Deleted member 15344

But they don’t - let’s be honest here not many members of the public wander into members pro shops - they go to AG and just pick up what they need because the selection of both equipment and clothing and balls etc will be vastly bigger than most pro shops.

As fo
as for shaft choices, I'm a pretty experienced golfer and better than 99.5% of amateurs and more than once been told off AG you should go to titleist or tm to get fit because basically we dont have what you need and pretty much we don't know enough about it to answer all your questions

And I have been to two local AG with both having qualified PGA Pros in them and one of them certified Mizuno fitting who was extremely helpful for me - I was able to hit for different sets of irons on a driving use using a trackman so I could compare what I was trying - did the same with rescues and wedges - I couldn’t do that at any of the pro shops in the area including Woburn