AG up for sale

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think a lot of non-members would feel intimidated going to a private club and using the pro for gear. I think it goes back to the bad old days where private clubs were kept as that, private
We've never had a pro or a shop at our private members club since it opened in 1905. Some basic golf stuff is available from behind the bar or office.
We go anywhere for the best service and prices, local Pro shops or some big store, I've never encountered any problems or felt embarrassed trying to spend money anywhere, they need my money more than I need theirs.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
But they don’t - let’s be honest here not many members of the public wander into members pro shops - they go to AG and just pick up what they need because the selection of both equipment and clothing and balls etc will be vastly bigger than most pro shops.

And I have been to two local AG with both having qualified PGA Pros in them and one of them certified Mizuno fitting who was extremely helpful for me - I was able to hit for different sets of irons on a driving use using a trackman so I could compare what I was trying - did the same with rescues and wedges - I couldn’t do that at any of the pro shops in the area including Woburn
It's not a members pro shop it's the pros pro shop, the pro is paid a retainer by the club to stock a shop and help with certain things in the club but it is his shop, and it's a shop which is open to the public. You can go in and buy a mars bar even if your only waiting for a bus at the bus stop outside, the more people know these are places they can go and get help and better advice without the salesman trying to punt you this or that the better. The mizuno fitting Carts are for irons and they don't stalk everything, 1/2 inch long x flex your options are limited or none. Start changing lies aswell and options get worse, go to mizuno if you want fit for mizuno irons

Wolf

Visit site
It's not a members pro shop it's the pros pro shop, the pro is paid a retainer by the club to stock a shop and help with certain things in the club but it is his shop, and it's a shop which is open to the public. You can go in and buy a mars bar even if your only waiting for a bus at the bus stop outside, the more people know these are places they can go and get help and better advice without the salesman trying to punt you this or that the better. The mizuno fitting Carts are for irons and they don't stalk everything, 1/2 inch long x flex your options are limited or none. Start changing lies aswell and options get worse, go to mizuno if you want fit for mizuno irons
Thing is freedom of choice is more important than say well good riddance hope they go out of business as people will have to now start using pro shops....

Equally if AG go under many PGA pro will to, as I know of a few ranges with fully licensed PGA pro that are in AG shops! They do full fitting, lessons the full works. Not every Pro golfer works at a good club in their own shop!!

Why should someone support a pro shop just because it's there, in a consumer market the consumer is entitled to choose where to spend it online, Pro shop, AG or some other stockists. Plus it does breed healthy competition especially in an age where golf is getting more expensive and the wages are not increasing for any of us.

Plus i know many people have been to club pro for a fitting only for it not to suit them, myself included a good fitting should be done direct with manufacturer IMO. I had one done with my old club pro for a set of Callaway irons about 18 years ago, he told me I was standard of length shaft and lie yet couldn't hit the irons, so instead of buying I went direct to Callaway in leatherhead, ended up being 1/2inch shorter shafts with 1 degree flat.. ordered them through my local AG at that spec on a better deal than my pro offered and got better service..

Just because someone is a club pro doesn't make them always the best option..

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We've never had a pro or a shop at our private members club since it opened in 1905. Some basic golf stuff is available from behind the bar or office.
We go anywhere for the best service and prices, local Pro shops or some big store, I've never encountered any problems or felt embarrassed trying to spend money anywhere, they need my money more than I need theirs.

Where?!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Thing is freedom of choice is more important than say well good riddance hope they go out of business as people will have to now start using pro shops....

Equally if AG go under many PGA pro will to, as I know of a few ranges with fully licensed PGA pro that are in AG shops! They do full fitting, lessons the full works. Not every Pro golfer works at a good club in their own shop!!

Why should someone support a pro shop just because it's there, in a consumer market the consumer is entitled to choose where to spend it online, Pro shop, AG or some other stockists. Plus it does breed healthy competition especially in an age where golf is getting more expensive and the wages are not increasing for any of us.

Plus i know many people have been to club pro for a fitting only for it not to suit them, myself included a good fitting should be done direct with manufacturer IMO. I had one done with my old club pro for a set of Callaway irons about 18 years ago, he told me I was standard of length shaft and lie yet couldn't hit the irons, so instead of buying I went direct to Callaway in leatherhead, ended up being 1/2inch shorter shafts with 1 degree flat.. ordered them through my local AG at that spec on a better deal than my pro offered and got better service..

Just because someone is a club pro doesn't make them always the best option..
I never said every pga pro has there own shop ? A lot work in driving ranges giving lessons and some are self employed freelance, overall I believe the golf industry would be better off without AG I don't mind chain stores, they provide a service but it is a poorer service, lowest price isn't always best. They provide a service at the expense of the local club pro and squeeze pros up and down the country into struggling to make much of a profit through sales. It's good that most pros are foremost members which means they can get access to any brand etc which has helped but big chain stores have hindered the honest local pros ability to make a decent living.

D

Deleted member 15344

I never said every pga pro has there own shop ? A lot work in driving ranges giving lessons and some are self employed freelance, overall I believe the golf industry would be better off without AG I don't mind chain stores, they provide a service but it is a poorer service, lowest price isn't always best. They provide a service at the expense of the local club pro and squeeze pros up and down the country into struggling to make much of a profit through sales. It's good that most pros are foremost members which means they can get access to any brand etc which has helped but big chain stores have hindered the honest local pros ability to make a decent living.
Sorry but if the pro is good enough then they won’t be affect by AG , if their service is that good and their prices that good then people won’t need to go to AG but let’s be honest there are plenty of poor Pro Shops out there - seen three in my area alone and AG stock a far more wider range of both clothing and clubs.

Blaming AG for a Pro having poor profits is a cop out for the Pro - golfers have a choice - they can go online , can go to pro shops , can go to AG or equivalent stores or they can go to independent fitters. It’s good to have choice and only the best will survive - if a Pro can’t compete against AG then he needs to look at the service he provides

D

Deleted member 16999

AG was the best thing to happen for club golfers, it broke the monopoly of some dodgy Pro’s living off their qualification and ripping off members who had no choice in were they shopped.
AG forced a lot of pro’s in to the modern world, no longer did they have the captured market they had to buck their ideas up.
My Pro is superb and will beat AG’s price, he has developed his business on Amazon, Ebay, Fbook etc and now has a customer base of tens of thousands.
The trade needs competition and having a high street retailer and the Pro is the perfect mix.
What about the events AG have sponsored? They have poured thousands upon thousands back into the sport. Are you happy to see that go as well ?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Not true.

Most professionals are smart enough to be part of "buying groups" like TGI or Foremost. Any professional I have bought from has price matched.

Sounds as though the service in "England" is a secondary service as I can only say positive things about American Golf staff in both Clydebank and Irvine. They have been very knowledgeable and helpful anytime I have been in and wanting to try or buy.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Not true.

Most professionals are smart enough to be part of "buying groups" like TGI or Foremost. Any professional I have bought from has price matched.

Sounds as though the service in "England" is a secondary service as I can only say positive things about American Golf staff in both Clydebank and Irvine. They have been very knowledgeable and helpful anytime I have been in and wanting to try or buy.
Exactly these groups have helped them compete, ag staff are mostly salespeople with limited knowledge on golf equipment. I haven't bought from them for a long time now and won't buy again, i encourage people to support the local guys who can offer golfers better service and advice

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Also I'm not English and used to frequent the stores you mention at least a few times a year and didn't find them all that great in all honesty

Wolf

Visit site
Exactly these groups have helped them compete, ag staff are mostly salespeople with limited knowledge on golf equipment. I haven't bought from them for a long time now and won't buy again, i encourage people to support the local guys who can offer golfers better service and advice
In your opinion...
AG when fully in action can still offer more choice without waiting for a pro to order in something for trial, still offers more to the nomadic golfer and infrequent player than a club pro can or does... Limited knowledge or not, most people these days are far better clued up on what they want to buy thanks to the internet. Of course they're sales people it's a retail shop does a car salesman know as much about the car You drive as the mechanic that repairs it does. No he doesn't but he knows the product well enough to sell it, that is all you need from someone in AG, if you want fitting etc then seek out the relevant type of person. If you want off the shelf easy access golf clubs, apparel or bits and bobs then AG and the like will be a far easier option for many people..

Not to mention the amount of jobs they provide to people

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Also I'm not English and used to frequent the stores you mention at least a few times a year and didn't find them all that great in all honesty

My reply wasn't directed at your post in particular re location, that was a generalisation. Personally I think you are being a tad harsh on what AG can/do offer.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I take it if AG goes down (I hope not as I have just ordered the wife some new shoes) that Online Golf who hold the same stock will also go?
Haven't you heard, AG has gone down & risen, Phoenix like, again in a Prepack Administration. It now has new owners who will presumably provide it with adequate funds to keep going.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As fo
as for shaft choices, I'm a pretty experienced golfer and better than 99.5% of amateurs and more than once been told off AG you should go to titleist or tm to get fit because basically we dont have what you need and pretty much we don't know enough about it to answer all your questions

Sorry, have I missed something, as that sounds to me like AG have given you an honest opinion/service.
And like you said it's happened more than once. 😉

Good old AG 😜

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As fo
as for shaft choices, I'm a pretty experienced golfer and better than 99.5% of amateurs and more than once been told off AG you should go to titleist or tm to get fit because basically we dont have what you need and pretty much we don't know enough about it to answer all your questions

Do you really expect a high street chain to cater for the top 0.5% of amateurs?

I’ve had good and bad experiences in AG, but would be sad to see them go, which thankfully doesn’t look as likely now.

Wolf

Visit site
I see AG are massively back amongst the recruitment websites advertising for sales staff and management staff at branches all over UK