6 Nations 2020

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Part of that is, I suspect, because that means that the rugby is at least on somewhere. Not sure how it works with local TV up there but if it were not for BT/Sky, there would be no rugby at club level of TV in England. BBC ditched the Sunday evening rugby special and do not even mention results on the national news. At least with pay TV you can watch it somewhere and with BT perhaps convert a few who signed up to watch the football coverage but then catch the rugby as there is no live football at 3.00 on a Saturday.

BBC have just introduced a highlights show for both Glasgow and Edinburgh games. 1 hour a week I believe

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry, but that is absolute nonsense. The pro game is already behind a paywall on Premier sports and numbers of spectators in Scotland continue to grow.
That's actually what I have been saying subsequent to that initial post - I was thinking of how Scots international team casual support used to watch rugby back in the day (and it wasn't in grounds) - but reflected on how things have changed from back in the day - with Glasgow and Edinburgh strong clubs with a relatively huge (for Scottish club rugby) supporter base despite not having any FTV TV coverage - and that would hopefully provide mitigation to the risk to interest in the game rising from loss of 6N from FTV.

Reactions: Val

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
BBC have just introduced a highlights show for both Glasgow and Edinburgh games. 1 hour a week I believe
You are kidding, we get an hour for the whole of the premiership on ITV (40 minutes with adds) and it is on about midnight.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's actually what I have been saying subsequent to that initial post - I was thinking of how Scots international team casual support used to watch rugby back in the day (and it wasn't in grounds) - but reflected on how things have changed from back in the day - with Glasgow and Edinburgh strong clubs with a relatively huge (for Scottish club rugby) supporter base despite not having any FTV TV coverage - and that would hopefully provide mitigation to the risk to interest in the game rising from loss of 6N from FTV.
I certainly suspect that you would get more interest in Scottish rugby by having Glasgow and Edinburgh matches on free TV than Scotland internationals. There you have 2 strong teams playing great rugby and competing against the best.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I certainly suspect that you would get more interest in Scottish rugby by having Glasgow and Edinburgh matches on free TV than Scotland internationals. There you have 2 strong teams playing great rugby and competing against the best.
My Mrs likes the West End of Glasgow and the part we'd live in would find me not 45mins walk from Scotstoun Stadium and I'd plan to be a regular. But as much as Glasgow would be my preference, I am thinking we're more likely to be in Edinburgh West End - so instead it would be a short walk to Murrayfield for me...no need for FTV TV :)

Certainly the crowd that Edinburgh v Glasgow gets in Murrayfield is almost beyond the wildest dreams of Scottish Club rugby of 30yrs ago.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Italy v England confirmed to either be behind closed doors or cancelled, still be amazed if its anything other than cancelled by monday
Agree, if Italy cannot go to Ireland how can it be safe to send the England team to Italy. I can see the whole final round being cancelled on Monday

U

User62651

if last round cancelled are England champions on points diff if Scotland France stays as it is? How would France get a bonus point - what's the criteria pls?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if last round cancelled are England champions on points diff if Scotland France stays as it is? How would France get a bonus point - what's the criteria pls?

france would need to lose by 8 or less to get a bonus point (or score 4 tries)

as for champions, not sure how they are going to decide it, if at all, with games being cancelled

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I'm not sure when it actually took place but I'm really enjoying the Scotland-France match.

The Scots seem to be playing beautifully to my inexperienced eyes.

As bored as I get by Association "round ball" football, this Union game is really fun to watch. I wish we had more of it.

Last edited: