4BBB matchplay

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Probably a stupid question, but as I've not played this before I'm confused as to how hcaps are to work. We have our first round winter 4bbb matchplay this weekend. I am off 9 and my partner is off 12. We are playing a pair off 16 and 17 respectively. The comp sheet says that hcaps are "3/4 off the lowest hcap player". I've read around on the internet but there are quite a few interpretations floating around as to how this works and where shots are given. I've asked the comp organiser but am waiting to hear back. Can anyone clarify how this works, i.e. what we each play off and where shots are given/received?

Cheers

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Everyone takes shots off you. Your partner gets 2 shots (SIs 1 and 2), the 16 hcapper gets 5 shots (SI 1 to 5) and the 17 hcapper gets 6 shots (SIs 1 to 6)

chillicon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You are the lowest handicap so the other players will get

Partner - 3/4 of (12-9) = 2.25, so 2 shots
Opp1 - 3/4 of (16-9) = 5.25, so 5 shots
Opp2 - 3/4 of (17-9) = 6, so 6 shots

The shots are given as per the stoke index holes.

And how have you played golf for long enough to be off 9 and never played 4bbb matchplay?!?!?!

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks fundy, that seemed to be the overwhelming position on the net.

So essentially stroke index holes 3-6 are the main holes to worry about, where neither me nor my partner get a shot and one (or, on SI 6, both) of our opponents get a shot.

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
You are the lowest handicap so the other players will get

Partner - 3/4 of (12-9) = 2.25, so 2 shots
Opp1 - 3/4 of (16-9) = 5.25, so 5 shots
Opp2 - 3/4 of (17-9) = 6, so 6 shots

The shots are given as per the stoke index holes.

And how have you played golf for long enough to be off 9 and never played 4bbb matchplay?!?!?!

Thanks Chilli, that's helpful.

I've played almost all of my golf in parts of the world where pairs matchplay was rare. I've played a bit of 4bbb but always stableford against the field, and all of my matchplay has been singles.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thanks fundy, that seemed to be the overwhelming position on the net.

So essentially stroke index holes 3-6 are the main holes to worry about, where neither me nor my partner get a shot and one (or, on SI 6, both) of our opponents get a shot.

you don't get a shot anywhere

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
What I find weird is that a golfer with such a low handicap hasn't come across this format before.

I guess that we've both learnt something then (in your case, that having played 4bbb matchplay is not a prerequisite to playing golf to any particular standard). As explained above, it's not a common format where I come from.

I suspect you'll find by looking at the various questions on the rules section of the forum that a lot of us don't know all of the ins and outs of every rule/format in golf. In my case, that is why I turned to your very helpful selves for clarity rather than taking a guess or turning up on the first tee without a clue.