Handicap manipulation - how to address

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
These days you walk away with a bags etc you can sell on ebay for up to £200 or more.

There's your day paid for and a bit of profit. Over the season then can mount up.

The "excellent players" I've encountered are "2 for 2" this season, and that's only those I know about.

They wouldn't bother if it was a wee shield and a sleeve of Molitors!🤣🤣🤣

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
These days you walk away with a bags etc you can sell on ebay for up to £200 or more.

There's your day paid for and a bit of profit. Over the season then can mount up.

The "excellent players" I've encountered are "2 for 2" this season, and that's only those I know about.

They wouldn't bother if it was a wee shield and a sleeve of Molitors!🤣🤣🤣
That's been my recommendation for "charity" events - save the valuable prizes for door prizes where everyone has an equal chance to win.

Teebs

Visit site
Thankfully they came 2nd in one of the pairs majors, so no big prizes.
I've heard the handicap committee are reviewing their cards over the next few weeks..

wjemather

Visit site
Thankfully they came 2nd in one of the pairs majors, so no big prizes.
I've heard the handicap committee are reviewing their cards over the next few weeks..
Just had a quick glance at just 4 handicap records from your club and there are anomalies with 2 of them that your handicap committee should be on top of as they are very easy to spot during routine report checks - an individual GP score entered while playing in a 4BBB comp (the 4BBB score was acceptable and went onto their record); a player getting penalty scores for seemingly duplicate gp registrations (acceptable gp score submitted on the same day).

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Well another Open today and another huge winning score

Looked back through the last 4 years and the winning scores have been

87 , 86 , 88 and 87 - all solid good scores

This year - 95 ?!?!

And 98 for the event two weeks ago

IanMcC

Visit site
Well another Open today and another huge winning score

Looked back through the last 4 years and the winning scores have been

87 , 86 , 88 and 87 - all solid good scores

This year - 95 ?!?!

And 98 for the event two weeks ago
CR-Par may have had some effect.

Teebs

Visit site
Just had a quick glance at just 4 handicap records from your club and there are anomalies with 2 of them that your handicap committee should be on top of as they are very easy to spot during routine report checks - an individual GP score entered while playing in a 4BBB comp (the 4BBB score was acceptable and went onto their record); a player getting penalty scores for seemingly duplicate gp registrations (acceptable gp score submitted on the same day).

Interesting, would you mind sharing via PM?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Open in the NE of England are almost exclusively 4bbb. They are days out for a group of friends. Change that to a drawn individual competition and the numbers would be decimated. They are good earners for clubs behind the bar, food and drink, and clubs will not want to lose that income.

As people have frequently said on here, drop the prizes. That's the answer.
This. I enter opens with my mates. It's a fun day out, we don't care about the prizes. If we couldn't play together, we wouldn't enter.

If the prize values were dropped, the entry fee could also be dropped, attracting more entries and more bar/food revenue for the club. It's a win for everyone - except the cheats.

DickInShorts

Visit site
This. I enter opens with my mates. It's a fun day out, we don't care about the prizes. If we couldn't play together, we wouldn't enter.

If the prize values were dropped, the entry fee could also be dropped, attracting more entries and more bar/food revenue for the club. It's a win for everyone - except the cheats.
Lots of clubs up here have franchised out their catering& bar so they wouldn’t benefit!

D-S

Visit site
Lots of clubs up here have franchised out their catering& bar so they wouldn’t benefit!
But if the club doesn't 'provide' the franchise with enough revenue/ traffic then that will have to be reflected at some stage in the contract - either a smaller profit share or increased subsidy.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But if the club doesn't 'provide' the franchise with enough revenue/ traffic then that will have to be reflected at some stage in the contract - either a smaller profit share or increased subsidy.
I would also add, if they don't make enough money then they will walk away. A strong franchisee is good for all parties, whether the money stays in the club or not.