2023 Professional Golf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Unsurprisingly Scheffler is the favourite at the CS, especially after how he finished at the weekend.
Difficult to predict how new media darling Block will do. Maybe make the cut this week and then not at the Canadian.

Swango1980

Visit site
After hearing him describe his game as 'world class' but just not having length....I'm kinda expecting/hoping for a missed cut by some way
I sort of agree. I liked the story at the time, to be fair. But, when he was telling reporters before 4th round that he knows he can do it, and he could go and shoot 3 or 4 under as he has the game, it felt like he was crossing the line between confidence and arrogance.

Bit like a 15 handicapper saying that they have a chance in club championships if they play "their game", believing that because they've parred or birdied all 18 holes at one time or another, they think they simply can string those all together in one round.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Brilliant to see Block, especially his up and down on 18. It's great that in a now 'super professional' sport, the game still allows space for these stories to happen.

I think we can all put ourselves in his shoes and somewhat relate to how he must have been feeling.

Swango1980

Visit site
Yeah, would have been better if he told all the interviewers that he was nowhere near good enough then went out and shot 81.
Don't get me wrong, confidence is good. It is just the balancing act between being confident, without coming across as arrogant. Thinking back to when Reed decided to tell the world he thought he was in the top 5 golfers in the world, despite not being on tour 5 minutes.

The confidence bit, fine with that. But, it can also come across as disrespectful to the golfers around you. Reed being disrespectful to many of the pros around him, who were ranked better than him but he was effectively saying he was better than most of them. To be fair, Block didn't really come across as disrespectful, as I think most would have enjoyed seeing him do well. But, for the other pro's around him on the leaderboard, I'm sure they all fancied their chances at doing as well as he thought he could do, and have more game to back it up. Just a personal opinion, but would have liked a little bit more humility from him in that one statement, but then if I was put in front of the cameras every day I'd definitely put my foot in it many more times than he did.

He comes across with a good personality, and despite agreeing I thought he was being a bit ambitious before R4 last week, I'd still love to see him do well this week. Making cuts and decent finishes at these types of tournaments are truly life changing for these types of guys, great to see their game peak and suddenly see all those years of work literally pay off.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, confidence is good. It is just the balancing act between being confident, without coming across as arrogant. Thinking back to when Reed decided to tell the world he thought he was in the top 5 golfers in the world, despite not being on tour 5 minutes.

The confidence bit, fine with that. But, it can also come across as disrespectful to the golfers around you. Reed being disrespectful to many of the pros around him, who were ranked better than him but he was effectively saying he was better than most of them. To be fair, Block didn't really come across as disrespectful, as I think most would have enjoyed seeing him do well. But, for the other pro's around him on the leaderboard, I'm sure they all fancied their chances at doing as well as he thought he could do, and have more game to back it up. Just a personal opinion, but would have liked a little bit more humility from him in that one statement, but then if I was put in front of the cameras every day I'd definitely put my foot in it many more times than he did.

He comes across with a good personality, and despite agreeing I thought he was being a bit ambitious before R4 last week, I'd still love to see him do well this week. Making cuts and decent finishes at these types of tournaments are truly life changing for these types of guys, great to see their game peak and suddenly see all those years of work literally pay off.
This is such a 'British' attitude. :LOL: He must know his place and not get ideas above his station! I doubt anyone in the US is thinking he was 'arrogant'. They just find stories like his inspiring.

Last edited:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To clarify, the story is fine, and respect.

How the media have dressed it up is laughable. He isn't a simple club pro. He plays pretty much full time, does maybe 2 lessons a week and to only people he knows. Has played in 6 PGA Championships and other PGA Tour events already.

AussieKB

Visit site
To clarify, the story is fine, and respect.

How the media have dressed it up is laughable. He isn't a simple club pro. He plays pretty much full time, does maybe 2 lessons a week and to only people he knows. Has played in 6 PGA Championships and other PGA Tour events already.
Agree.....24 starts on the PGA Tour, so not surprising he knows how to play.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just looked at the KLM Open, cannot say I'm very impressed with the field, where is everybody ?

Who are you expecting to see ?

It’s a low level ET event directly after a Major - it’s going to have all those players with lower category exemptions

The ET has about 250 players with some sort of exemption to allow them to play some events - hence why you have events where there are some of those professionals at the lower level categories

AussieKB

Visit site
Who are you expecting to see ?

It’s a low level ET event directly after a Major - it’s going to have all those players with lower category exemptions

The ET has about 250 players with some sort of exemption to allow them to play some events - hence why you have events where there are some of those professionals at the lower level categories
I was expecting a better field then this.....sorry

Swango1980

Visit site
This is such a 'British' attitude. :LOL: He must know his place and not get ideas above his station! I doubt anyone in the US is thinking he was 'arrogant'. They just find stories like his inspiring.
I mean, don't we all come into these forums every day and negatively judge people by what they say and do :)

As I said, I liked his story. Just a normal feeling of liking it when people don't get too carried away without any real body of work behind them to back it up. One man's confidence is another person's arrogance. When he was bigging up his chances pre R4, I just couldn't help but feel that every player above, and many below him on the leaderboard could genuinely expect to do better than him. Like me bigging up my chances before the club championships, saying I have it in me to shoot a couple of scores around par. I have the game, I just have not got anywhere near it in over a year. I could be coming across as disrespectful to the couple of dozen golfers that have significantly lower handicaps than me, I wouldn't be surprised of some felt I was coming across as a bit of an idiot.

AussieKB

Visit site
Why was you expecting a better field
Yes....I had a friend who won on the Euro Tour many years ago and could not understand why he did not target the lower events as you get 2 years exemption, anyway after many years he lost his card and failed at Q school to regain it, ended up working in the mines in OZ, mind you he has a very nice house and no debts.

Status
Not open for further replies.