YouTubers.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Watching Rick trying to break 75 (the verbal mission at the start of the video) or 80 (the changed statement on the video link) at Bay Hill - I think I'm done watching these challenges lol!

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Watching Rick trying to break 75 (the verbal mission at the start of the video) or 80 (the changed statement on the video link) at Bay Hill - I think I'm done watching these challenges lol!

Watched it this morning, I'm sure its a beast of a course but it does surprise me the number of full shots he doesn't execute the way he 'talked it pre-shot'

simsini

Visit site
He needs to be more realistic with these challenges and not set himself up to fail every time.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
He needs to be more realistic with these challenges and not set himself up to fail every time.

I agree, it would be good to see him actually break 75 at some point. Mix it up, they don't always have to be top courses, go and play some shorter tracks!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, it's not great viewing the way he is playing atm - unless you get some kind of perverse pleasure in seeing him fail I guess.
Honestly, if I watched a Rick video where he shot level par and didn't put a foot wrong I'd be quite disappointed and bored. :LOL: Definitely find it more relatable when he has the car crash holes. Not that I enjoy watching him suffer, but it's comforting that much better players than me have the same problems I guess. If I wanted to watch people be good at golf that's what Sky Sports Golf is for.. yet I don't really watch that. 🤷🏻‍♂️

bigyin55

Visit site
I thought that video at Bay Hill was his best in a while. Played better than he has for a while and stayed positive. Thought he was swinging better too not that ugly rapid way he has been at times.

Visit site
I thought that video at Bay Hill was his best in a while. Played better than he has for a while and stayed positive. Thought he was swinging better too not that ugly rapid way he has been at times.

I agree it was tidy in general - his clubbing was poor throughout though, was a full club out a good number of times

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just been watching this, and yes, I thought he played well other than a bit of self-doubt with the putter.

But honestly, only Rick could lead off a video by saying "On this course, the most important thing is to hit the fairway... right, I'm using a brand new driver that I've never hit before.." 🤣

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Well, it's not great viewing the way he is playing atm - unless you get some kind of perverse pleasure in seeing him fail I guess.
I don't think the recent videos are how he's playing at the moment. He recorded the Sergio, Bryson and Bay Hill videos in November (from memory, it was mentioned on the podcast). I suppose they like to make the most of the trips abroad and get lots of videos banked so they can release them over the winter.

The same podcast said that a viewer had taken 40+ of his strokeplay rounds at UK courses and used them to work out his WHS index, it came out at about scratch. Which was a bit of a surprise but I don't play JCB off the tips!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I found it a bit dull tho,not much interaction with his playing partner.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think the recent videos are how he's playing at the moment. He recorded the Sergio, Bryson and Bay Hill videos in November (from memory, it was mentioned on the podcast). I suppose they like to make the most of the trips abroad and get lots of videos banked so they can release them over the winter.

The same podcast said that a viewer had taken 40+ of his strokeplay rounds at UK courses and used them to work out his WHS index, it came out at about scratch. Which was a bit of a surprise but I don't play JCB off the tips!

Think we all focus to much on his bad golf and blow up holes when there is a lot of good golf in there

Think it was same podcast they pointed out if he played say Marriott week in week out he would shoot mid 70s majority of time

He's playing off the tips on top courses that he hasn't played before

Nowhere near as bad as people think

Then the subject of coaching , why does it matter if your coach is amazing? It's their knowledge and technical knowledge not the ability to apply it that matters

Claude Harmon is one of the best coaches in the world. He reckons he plays off 10 at best . Think he knows his stuff

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like Marcus Edblad, he has a really refreshing way of considering the golf swing. I also like Dan Grieve on the short game, I've improved my wedge and bunker play so much through following his lessons.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like Marcus Edblad, he has a really refreshing way of considering the golf swing. I also like Dan Grieve on the short game, I've improved my wedge and bunker play so much through following his lessons.
Grieve's channel is class. Really improved my chipping and pitching last year thanks to him when I was struggling - I read his book first as well. Now that the rest of my game has gone to pot the chipping is the best bit!

Bucktaylor64

Medal Winner
Visit site
I watch various youtubers and although I think that Rick Shiels has the best content, there's quite a few I'd back to beat him.

In the UK I'd bet Alex Elliott, James Robinson, Andy Carter and Peter Finch to emerge victorious maybe Mark Crossfield too!

Not so sure about Matt Fryer or Chris Dennis or Gary Martin. I'd love to see them all together in competition.