YouTubers.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I like Shiels' videos but I do find myself wincing when he's playing badly and then he prefaces a shot with, I'm going to "smash this", or "bully that". We all know that, when you're having a bad day, the last thing you should try and do is hit it harder!!

The course looked long and difficult and the wind was really blowing. It was a very tough track but Rick made it look even tougher. Sergio seemed to be feeling sorry for him and did a great job as a ball finder. I bet he's never spent so long looking for any playing partner's errant balls!

It's the first of the 10 shot challenge videos that has been a complete whitewash so hopefully he'll put up more of a fight in the future.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like the golf life stuff, JB is a very peaky character but his golf is relatable and when he plays people like Fisher and Rock you see the chasm .. I think the Iona video was good as well, she was awesome.
Rick, I have stopped watching, bloke has a snap hook .. no one needs to watch that, or at least I don’t.
I have walked away as much as possible from the tip like videos.. I have kind of gone back to my own view of the golf swing based on getting the set up correctly and that will make the body move correctly as opposed to have a bad set up do something to impact a move that was generated by the bad set up .. of cause this could all be wrong and the scoring improvements could just be the course is really easy.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Ive now grown tired of watching most TY golfers. I tune in for the odd video here and there but the same ideas are just recycled again and again and its rather dull a space. Tried watching Rick v Sergio but it got boring fast.

I really enjoyed the inception of good good and seeing that rise up, but once they lost Micah and Grant they lost me too, just think they miss what they had before.

Still listen to multiple podcasts on golf from the YT scene but that's the extent of it for me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ive now grown tired of watching most TY golfers. I tune in for the odd video here and there but the same ideas are just recycled again and again and its rather dull a space. Tried watching Rick v Sergio but it got boring fast.

I really enjoyed the inception of good good and seeing that rise up, but once they lost Micah and Grant they lost me too, just think they miss what they had before.

Still listen to multiple podcasts on golf from the YT scene but that's the extent of it for me.
I must be a golf freak, since I watch golf youtubers more than I watch actual TV programs these days. If I happen to be home alone for an evening, that's what I'm more likely to put on to watch. I'll always have a handful of vids saved in my 'watch later' list to stick on.

There are some of the channels I hardly ever watch anymore though. Of the ones I subscribe to, I mostly watch Tubes and Rick Shiels. I rarely ever watch Golf Mates (videos are a bit samey with the little matches for a fiver etc), James Robinson (too clickbaity), or Golf Sidekick (loved him once upon a time but his videos are very samey as well now). Have started watching more Peter Finch as I find his content very well produced these days, and I've been enjoying Bryson's new channel too. I follow Iona Stephen but I haven't watched many of hers - I actually find her a bit serious, she could do with having more of a laugh I think. :LOL:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Sadly the way with a lot of You Tube. A channel starts great then they get to a certain level of following and tend to go one of 2 ways, they plateau because they have limited access to opportunities and so their channel becomes repetitive (GolfMates is a fine example of that), or they get pulled in by the golf business with promises of access etc and they forget why they were good to start with and become what it basically a budget version of Golf Channel filler.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sadly the way with a lot of You Tube. A channel starts great then they get to a certain level of following and tend to go one of 2 ways, they plateau because they have limited access to opportunities and so their channel becomes repetitive (GolfMates is a fine example of that), or they get pulled in by the golf business with promises of access etc and they forget why they were good to start with and become what it basically a budget version of Golf Channel filler.
I guess it's pretty hard to vary your content when it's just golf. I think Tubes' channel holds my interest because they frequently get guest stars on that you don't see elsewhere - whether it be pro golfers, or ex-pro footballers who are decent at golf. With Golf Mates it's always just the same blokes having the same matches against each other.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess it's pretty hard to vary your content when it's just golf. I think Tubes' channel holds my interest because they frequently get guest stars on that you don't see elsewhere - whether it be pro golfers, or ex-pro footballers who are decent at golf. With Golf Mates it's always just the same blokes having the same matches against each other.

This is it, they have a following but they just cannot get to the next level of access or with guests. Sadly that is a recipe for eventual decline.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I must be a golf freak, since I watch golf youtubers more than I watch actual TV programs these days. If I happen to be home alone for an evening, that's what I'm more likely to put on to watch. I'll always have a handful of vids saved in my 'watch later' list to stick on.

There are some of the channels I hardly ever watch anymore though. Of the ones I subscribe to, I mostly watch Tubes and Rick Shiels. I rarely ever watch Golf Mates (videos are a bit samey with the little matches for a fiver etc), James Robinson (too clickbaity), or Golf Sidekick (loved him once upon a time but his videos are very samey as well now). Have started watching more Peter Finch as I find his content very well produced these days, and I've been enjoying Bryson's new channel too. I follow Iona Stephen but I haven't watched many of hers - I actually find her a bit serious, she could do with having more of a laugh I think. :LOL:
I'm in the same camp as you - I need no encouragement to watch golf on YT! For me it's almost always a playing video, I have very little interest swing tips or equipment reviews. I know he's Marmite but I used to watch loads of Crossfield - he seems to have abandoned course vlogs altogether, so I stopped watching. Shiels, Finch and Iona Stephen create the kind of playing content that I enjoy. Have only just started watching Tubes and Bullard (because they did a round with Iona) but might try a few more of their vids. Erik Anders Lang has produced some really thoughtful videos in his 'Adventures in Golf' series - this one in particular is really moving.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm in the same camp as you - I need no encouragement to watch golf on YT! For me it's almost always a playing video, I have very little interest swing tips or equipment reviews. I know he's Marmite but I used to watch loads of Crossfield - he seems to have abandoned course vlogs altogether, so I stopped. Shiels, Finch and Iona Stephen create the kind of playing content that I enjoy. Have only just started watching Tubes and Bullard (because they did a round with Iona) but might try a few more of their vids. Erik Anders Lang has produced some really thoughtful videos in his 'Adventures in Golf' series - this one in particular is really moving.
I watch Crossfield as he still does very good instructional stuff. Just found on the road with Iona and that is excellent. Finch has gone a bit click baity and I'm not enjoying the content as much. Some of the stories Bullard and Tubes get from their guests are brilliant

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Yeah I'm not enjoying Finch's videos any more as just sounds like a Jeremy Clarkson caricature and feels a little forced, despite his production quality increasing.

I think Tubes and Bullard could have the recipe for long term success as they have access to massive pool of guests that they can dip into and, in the UK at least, a lot of them are pretty well known due to the love of football over here.

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
I think Tubes and Bullard could have the recipe for long term success as they have access to massive pool of guests that they can dip into and, in the UK at least, a lot of them are pretty well known due to the love of football over here.
Read on here that Bullard was a decent golfer so watched the one he played with Poulter and Westwood. Apart from a few shots all it seemed to be was Bullard's mate rabbiting on about football. Switched it off. Currently watching Ron Chopper.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Read on here that Bullard was a decent golfer so watched the one he played with Poulter and Westwood. Apart from a few shots all it seemed to be was Bullard's mate rabbiting on about football. Switched it off. Currently watching Ron Chopper.
That was a good video - Bullard played well and Poulter and Westy were impressed, as I recall. If you want to see Bullard at his best, watch his first match with Ewen Ferguson (from last year, not the one that's come out this week).

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can see a bit of Clarkson in Pete Finch....and here's the best driver.....in the world....
Youtube gets less and less of my attention these days.
The big names are to repetitive/cheesy/dull/annoying and most of the smaller channels are going the same way.
Iona produces some decent stuff and I still look in on Club Champion (TXG) although i think they've seriously lost their way since CC bought them out..
It's mostly becoming a bit Meh...

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I stopped watching Crossfield entirely as I found him incredibly patronising (he got a massive bee in his bonnet about shafts etc) and there just seemed to be too many in jokes. I’ve recently come across him again and I’ve actually found his instructional videos very interesting and I do like his reviews as he doesn’t just hype up the next driver releases etc.

Agree with the comments about Golfmates, I think Liam has done a great job to get the channel to where it is however I just think it’s run out of steam slightly. All the videos are quite samey.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
That was a good video - Bullard played well and Poulter and Westy were impressed, as I recall. If you want to see Bullard at his best, watch his first match with Ewen Ferguson (from last year, not the one that's come out this week).

That was a brilliant video.

Just finished watching the Bryan Bros with Grant Horvat and Jon Rahm.

Rahm comes across really well, he and Wesley obviously have a great relationship and the digs between the two, despite being on the same team, was good to watch.

Some player - I think he finished 9 under on his own ball.