YouTubers.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He isn't a teaching pro any more but, even if he was, he is "pretty good"! Certainly better than most players.
A swing coach is good at analysing and communicating. The pros all have coaches but they're not looking for someone who is a better player than they are. They're looking for someone that understands the mechanics of a golf swing and can identify and fix weaknesses.
Don't get me wrong, I do like him and half benefitted from one or two of his instructional videos. I wouldn't take his advice on chipping though. ?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I do like him and half benefitted from one or two of his instructional videos. I wouldn't take his advice on chipping though. ?

Funnily enough, he did a video on chipping and it revolutionised my short game! I’m pretty deadly from 15-20 yards around the green using the technique he showed. Now, if he could just fix the rest of my game….

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Rick Shiels obviously struggling for a buck or two. Now gone down the Cameo route to give messages to fans and look at swing videos

I only heard about cameo yesterday, although I’ve seen the ones where Nigel farage gets stitched up! Is it just me or is this bizarre? I sincerely hope nobody wastes their money on something like this for me. World’s gone mad.

Farage ones money well spent to be fair, but that’s for another thread!

MACM85

Visit site
I only heard about cameo yesterday, although I’ve seen the ones where Nigel farage gets stitched up! Is it just me or is this bizarre? I sincerely hope nobody wastes their money on something like this for me. World’s gone mad.

Farage ones money well spent to be fair, but that’s for another thread!

I understand the concept of Cameo where you can get famous folk to do a personal message to a friend or loved one as a nice gift/gesture.

However I do not get what people will get from Rick Shiels saying Hello, Congrats or anything like that

£40 quid a cameo is his rate and why would someone pay that to get a review of their swing when they can go see a pro for not much more for an hour

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I understand the concept of Cameo where you can get famous folk to do a personal message to a friend or loved one as a nice gift/gesture.

However I do not get what people will get from Rick Shiels saying Hello, Congrats or anything like that

£40 quid a cameo is his rate and why would someone pay that to get a review of their swing when they can go see a pro for not much more for an hour

They’re never going to be off someone worth having one off. I mean, if I could get a personal message off Paul McCartney or Barack Obama for £40, I might go for it, but it only seems to be the no-marks doing this. Can’t get my head around it.

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
That surprises me actually. RS has one of, if not the most successful YouTube golf channels, partnerships with various brands including Lyle and Scott and TopTracer. He has a podcast which must drive traffic and revenue so for him to sign up to a service saying hello and happy birthday for £40 a pop seems a weird decision.

Gotta give it to him for securing the bag though!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
People can earn thousands from these sites, google it and see the figures. Why wouldn't he join in?

My daughter bought one for a friend of hers. It was a drag queen contestant from RuPauls Drag Race, cost about £30 at the time. He loved it, still plays it to people 2 years later.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
On the other hand, Dan Hendriksen has gone down the Patreon route. £3 a month, and there's a giveaway each month when they host the live show - which you can email in questions about your swing, or comments on the show. They gave away a Shotscope V3 on the first one, and at the time I think only had about 190 subscribers to the patreon service - so a decent chance of winning for somebody.

I'd rather watch DH and Lester Barnes over Shiels and Charnock anyday of the week personally - although there's no denying RS has built up a great brand for himself and has some pretty good guests on his videos.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
They’re never going to be off someone worth having one off. I mean, if I could get a personal message off Paul McCartney or Barack Obama for £40, I might go for it, but it only seems to be the no-marks doing this. Can’t get my head around it.
These videos probably take about 20 minutes to to do at most, and he'll end up with about £25 in his pocket after costs. £75 an hour! Pretty easy money.

I think that Shiels knows that this level of fame and hype could potentially end at some point, so he's of the mindset to make hay whilst the sun shines. Earning very easy money on the side makes sense. Why wouldn't he?

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Have been watching the chaps on DHG as they've played a couple of courses (Bramshaw Forest and Paultons) which I play.

Tis interesting seeing proper players play those courses!
Guess everything has to be an acronym these days ?, I dip in & out. This might not be the correct thread but think it was St Endoc and Bernie was wanting to have his round count. The others quickly binned holing out but reckon he carried on. However they seemed to have slope adjustments actived on the lasers, plenty of advice was being given out - for a regular vlog absolutely fine with this as it is entertainment, but was he compromising himself for a "counter"?

babylonsinger

Visit site
I honestly have no idea how he's amassed as many subscribers as he has. His voiceover work is dull as ditchwater. It really makes me wish I was less lazy and motivated enough to make my own YouTube channel!

See I quite like it for that very reason. Find a few other YouTubers a bit over the top trying to be funny or a personality. He's a distinctly average golfer (and person I assume) which makes it relateable to me. Does make me laugh without fail when he rolls out the "missed by a hair's breadth" aswell

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
See I quite like it for that very reason. Find a few other YouTubers a bit over the top trying to be funny or a personality. He's a distinctly average golfer (and person I assume) which makes it relateable to me. Does make me laugh without fail when he rolls out the "missed by a hair's breadth" aswell
Yeah, fair play to him definitely. I also prefer to watch amateur golfers myself, I often watch Tubes & Ange, Bad Golf or the Golf Mates channels purely because they are more relatable than Peter Finch or somebody piping it 310 yards.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

I had 127,000 views on a short a few weeks back, just me chopping a few shots out of bunkers. Obviously picked up a few likes early on and then the algorithm takes over, but it kind of backs up the argument that in many cases, less is more.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

I've learnt that golf's a funny old game too.

(But for some unknown reason the little ball toss he does after most holes slightly irritates me! :D )