YouTubers.

Albo

Visit site
Don't do podcasts, I've been watching his break 75 series where he's mostly playing with Guy. After every half decent shot it's "amazing golf shot! Oh that's unbelievable! I love you Rick you're wonderful!" Nauseating.
100% this!
Being mentally fragile is all part of golf though and we dont all have a personal cheerleader telling us how good we are when we play. My regular PPs are quite the opposite.
I actually thought Guy and Rick were an item, it appears not though.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
100% this!
Being mentally fragile is all part of golf though and we dont all have a personal cheerleader telling us how good we are when we play. My regular PPs are quite the opposite.
I actually thought Guy and Rick were an item, it appears not though.
There's certainly nothing wrong with a mate who bigging you up, but no one else really wants to see or hear it.

The YouTube bubble is real. Mark Crossfield comes across like David Brent in the greengrocers, thinking that everyone wants his autograph. I either read it on here or someone told me about a time he showed up to an event, and when asked why he was late, he gave it the 'You're lucky I decided to bother turning up at all.'

The thing with social media, as you see on here every day, is that there is no inbetween. The online comments these YouTubers receive are either that the sun shines out of their backsides, or that they are the worse than chlamydia. If you're getting stuff like that all day long, it's probably healthier to listen to the positive sycophants, but it will almost certainly result in some arrogance.

4LEX

Visit site
Don't do podcasts, I've been watching his break 75 series where he's mostly playing with Guy. After every half decent shot it's "amazing golf shot! Oh that's unbelievable! I love you Rick you're wonderful!" Nauseating.

It wasn't just the praise but the fact he kept calling it a 'golf shot'. Everytime Rick hit a decent shot, not even near top class he'd shout "Golf shottttt".

I don't mind Guy other than that. In many ways he's better value than Rick on the podcast as it's clear Rick has limited vocab and struggles to get his point across..

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I watch a lot of the above YouTubers but also avoid a lot of their content. TXG, Finch and shields are the only ones I subscribe to and the rest I’m just using when I search for something.

It’s tough to appeal across genres of golf and I prefer the entertainment side of golf channels unless I’m researching new kit.

rystaman

Visit site
It wasn't just the praise but the fact he kept calling it a 'golf shot'. Everytime Rick hit a decent shot, not even near top class he'd shout "Golf shottttt".

I don't mind Guy other than that. In many ways he's better value than Rick on the podcast as it's clear Rick has limited vocab and struggles to get his point across..

Yeah tbf I've noticed in the more recent Break 75's he's been doing it more often now on more shots as you say are decent but not sheer top class

rystaman

Visit site
Peter Finch making the jump to TV - just seen him on Sky's early coverage this week. I can't get into this videos - something irks me about the way he speaks

I love Pete and his videos tbf, love how he's still trying for the Open and in competition Golf but also showing it to everyone as well

evemccc

Visit site
I love Pete and his videos tbf, love how he's still trying for the Open and in competition Golf but also showing it to everyone as well

He’s doing it for ‘content’ views…as is his right, and as per his business model

Deep down he knows he’s miles away from qualifying. Nothing wrong with having a go but the whole Quest for the Open is purely something to base ‘content’ on

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Shiels has simultaneously gotten carried away with his perception of the size of his role as a player in the golf industry, and increasingly drivel, content lite podcasts, filled with the non golf minutiae of his and his sidekicks lives.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Has anyone else been watching the Rick Shiels v Good Good stuff?

Yeh, I’ve watched the ‘major’ and the scramble. Bit on the ‘American whoop whoop let’s go’ side of the fence for me, however, they seem like nice chaps and a couple of very good players in there.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I find myself watching more You Tube golf in the winter months, was watching a lot of Dan Hendrikesn but have zoned out a little - not sure why - maybe the format is a bit repetetive, but I think as a group they have the most endearing qualities, plus they have some great golfers on the channel.

Anoetic

Visit site
For me at minute, for pure entertainment it’s the Good Good lads that are top of the pile, however for comedy gold it’s Bob does sports..

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
You tube has gone the way of all golf media, at first new and interesting, then falls into never ending cycle of same message different video.

The honest reviews are boring as now all clubs are near identical, and the 'on message' reviews are as predictable as the marketing...

How many magazine covers does it take to fix your slice and add 10 yards.... about 3 a year by the sounds of it...

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
You tube has gone the way of all golf media, at first new and interesting, then falls into never ending cycle of same message different video.

The honest reviews are boring as now all clubs are near identical, and the 'on message' reviews are as predictable as the marketing...

How many magazine covers does it take to fix your slice and add 10 yards.... about 3 a year by the sounds of it...

I think this is where Rick Shiels comes out well, his weekly podcast is great for popping on while driving, working or chilling out, no need to actually see the video content but it's there if you want it, but it gives his followers something to keep them engaged - and when he has such a big following, that's important.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think this is where Rick Shiels comes out well, his weekly podcast is great for popping on while driving, working or chilling out, no need to actually see the video content but it's there if you want it, but it gives his followers something to keep them engaged - and when he has such a big following, that's important.
His long interviews with the likes of Faldo or BdC are excellent.
But too many are increasingly waffle about their weekend pints, a takeaway with the wife, taking the kids somewhere, or driving around Manchester for a charge point. I have my own trivial life for that sort of thing. They also have too much chat about upcoming 'content' and what they might do for another show. Its a bit too navel gazing, and 'making of' a golf podcast.
He has become too dilute of proper golf talk. And does seem to think people are interested in the mundanities of his life.