Your shot of the year

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just thought I’d try and get a positive thread going about golf,after all it’s a golf forum.
Looking forward to hearing about your shot of the year.
What hole and course
Distance and club taken
Your lie( milk this one ?
Any positive outcome in the results.

Suppose I better start.
Playing in an invitational pairs comp at Taunton and pickeridge called the Mockeridge cup.
17th about a 400 yard par 4 stroke index 4 dog leg left.
Water left so bailed out right into spongy rough so had 230 in.
Down hill right to left slope ball 4” above my feet.
22 degree rescue to 4ft and sunk the putt for a 4 pointer.
Won the cup by one shot.
Yours

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I honestly can't remember. I can remember several times saying "that's probably my best shot of the year" or something similar, but I cannot remember any of them now.

Maybe the 5 wood that set up my only eagle this year (and second eagle ever) - on a slightly uphill par 5, must have had 195 to the front of the green, but I was on the right half of the fairway, there's a bunker that protects the right side of the green so I hit the perfect fade around it that run up onto the green and left me a 5 foot putt for eagle.

Oh, I have remembered another one - playing a friendly knock at West Middlesex, on the 13th, which is a long right dogleg around a creepy old house. My drive went too far left, so a took a drop, then played a rubbish hack, then a bit of a slice on the next one so I've missed the green well short and right. The green is about 6 feet above my ball and there's a bunker on the bank as well. But I played a perfect lofted chip with the 56 that rolled straight in the hole to save bogey. :LOL: Was well chuffed with that one as it felt like turning a 7 into a 5.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Our 17th is a nasty hole at the best of times...
It slopes right to left, the tee shot pitches on an upslope, the green is up another upslope..
Trees on the right and then18th beyond that.
The line off the tee is the top of the first ridge and let the ball slide down to the right.
I overcooked the tee shot and cleared the trees onto the 18th.
I'd gone far enough to have a clear line to the green but I was 230 out.
Lined up the 4 wood and pulled the trigger.
Perfect contact, perfect line, almost perfect distance..
The ball finished about 8 feet from the pin and I knocked it in for a shot-hole birdie.

Albo

Visit site
2nd hole at West Linton from the tee, small green tee slightly bent but held the ball well enough, slight helping wind 132 probably playing 126/127.
Took. PW stood behind envisaged my preferred (but not always occurring) draw towards the pin, pulled back the club semi skulled it started left of the pin and watched it turn right land on the front of the green and run up to the hole bunker in the way so didn’t know for sure, but when I got up there, it was nestled in the cup.
Best shot this year or any of the previous 20odd years.

D

Deleted member 1147

Was in the first group out for our Captain's away day at Brocton Hall. The 9th hole is par 3 with a ditch short and right, and a lake on the left. With the patio and first tee overlooking from the other side of the lake.
The pin was 190 away, so I hit a punchy 6 iron. The ball landed, one bounce and ran out towards the hole, just missing by centimetres, and finishing up a foot from the hole.

There was much moaning and jeering from those watching on, as that was the nearest the hole prize won before anyone else had even played the hole :cool:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure what was my best shot, but one which was a bit of a monkey off my back was my first eagle.
I'd hit a really good drive by my standards to end about 70 yds short of a par four but in a divot.
Could just see the top of the flag but a mound meant I couldn't see much of the green.
Concentrated on a good strike and accessed the back of the ball.
Went forward to see where it had landed couldn't see it and assumed Is got a flier though my mate said it looked like good speed from his angle, hunted the tangly rough and couldn't find it.
Mate putted put and found my ball in the hole.

Springveldt

Visit site
Definitely my 3 hybrid into our par 5 6th hole last month. Strong tailwind, didn't hit a great drive (260 yards but rock hard fairways) but made up for it with the 2nd shot with a 250 yard hybrid to 10 foot then made the putt for an eagle.

Reactions: sjw

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Chip in from around 30 yards for my first eagle of the year ?
I also hit a 4 hybrid from around 200 yards out to within 3ft for another tap in eagle but the first was the best.

evemccc

Visit site
Good idea for a more positive / upbeat thread ?

7th (I believe) at Carnoustie Burnside in a KO Matchplay round - 9 iron in from the semi-rough that ended up about 4 ft from the hole which was sunk for a birdie. Think I went to three-up also!

What was so pleasing was that it was the exact outcome that I had played for, and envisaged - in terms of how the ball reacted on the green and it’s contours, and in the wind and conditions

As golfers we not only have to get the execution correct, we also must have made the correct mental judgment pre-shot….on this occasion both were almost perfect

D

Deleted member 23270

I striped a 7 iron straight over the 150 marker on the range back in May. Lovely soft draw ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
4th hole on my current course off the yellows, slight dig leg left, deep crap up the left and the ground rolls right to left to a downhill green. Hit a bulletin straight 2i (pin seeker circa mid 60’s) to the fringe in the summer.

We was off forward yellows and it was running like heck but I’ll take that

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
5th at my course is a 230 yard par 4. played it 2 weeks ago and hit a 5 iron to 18 inches. rolled in the putt like a pro

RichA

Visit site
On our par 5 13th, I often push my drive out right into the light rough behind two massive oaks on the edge of the fairway. The first time I tried smashing a long iron with a massive fade, it curved around the trees, missing the canopy by 10 feet and sailed down the middle of the fairway towards the green. I've done it a few times now and it always feels like the greatest shot I've ever hit.
My pals describe it as a lucky slice but I know better.

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I can recall two.
Rushmore, I believe the 6th.
I‘m in the left rough approx 200 yards away, behind tall trees and with water to carry to a 3 tier green similar to the 18th on the Brabazon. I stuck it to a couple of feet for a tap in par. Was the first points of the day for me and left me trailing dad by 12 and by the time I walked off the 18th he’d crumbled and lost by 2.

Princes, a nice 30ft Putt and then some. Holed for birdie whilst playing with a few gents on here. Was the first time, but not the last time my own playing partner called me a few choice names that day for how I played…….

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Our second is a par three with a fairy narrow green. Misses to left are dead as the ball mainly bounces down the slow into the trees, misses right are left with tight les to try and flop over a couple of greenside bunkers. Both misses are difficult to hold the green on the second shot. As someone who struggles with a pull hook, I am often missing left and leaving myself dead. On the day the pin was about 141 yards left of middle, I decided to take a PW as I'd taken to leaving it short rather than bouncing off left. Happened to swing it very nicely, hit almost dead centre of the green, at which point it zipped sideways and vanished into the hole. That has to be my best shot of the year.

Having said that, on Sunday I was approx 230 yds out on our par 5 12th, middle of the fairway, hitting into wind. I decided to have a go with my 4 hybrid, a club I don't usually touch because it turns the ball left more often than not and I have no confidence in it. But been playing pretty decent golf of late so decided to give it a shot, hit a low stinger, straight at the pin, pitched just short of the green and rolled straight at the front positioned pin. From where I was standing, it looked like it hit the pin, or rolled over the edge of the cup, to stop pin high 3ft left of the hole. Had a tricky putt across the slope, but holed the eagle.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mine was just during a friendly knock, nothing on it at all (probably why I pulled it off).

At my home course, Kidderminster, par 5 17th, hit a terrible drive the other side of the trees and had to chip out, executed it very poorly and although I was out and within range of the green, I was blocked out by trees with 220ish to go. Pulled my 4 wood out, which tends to fade, I could just see the edge of the bunker short left so aimed just left of that that and gave it a good wallop, lovely 20 yard fade to perfection, pitched just short of the green and rolled up to within 4 feet of the hole.

Missed the birdie putt of course but we’re not here to talk about that!

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
145 yard par 3, thirty foot drop into a 'pit' on the left, a regular spot for many of us. Lob wedge to get it onto the green, two inches from the hole.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Par 3 8th at Hindhead, 205 yard 4i slightly uphill into a breeze to 3 feet.

Anyone who’s played it will know how small and hard to hold the green is.

Attachments

• 3ABE0F91-3CD2-4503-8E02-81E97EB03403.jpeg
    3ABE0F91-3CD2-4503-8E02-81E97EB03403.jpeg
    838.4 KB · Views: 16