Your shot of the year

NeilV

Visit site
Difficult to pick one shot as "best", as depending on the context I've had a few memorable ones this year. In contrast with last year where mostly I've tried to forget them.

I'd probably pick from 3:

Par 5 18th at Broome Park in Kent. 85yd 54 degree wedge over water to a green with a bunker directly behind it that I hit to about 6 foot. Memorable because I knew I was in contention to win a society day and so was bit of a pressure shot, and because it was a beautiful contact that stopped exactly pin high. I used to get very "flippy" at shots like this and mishit them a lot. I missed the putt but won anyway.

Par 5 17th at Boughton, also in Kent. Perfect driver down a tight fairway to set up a birdie which gave me the breathing space to break 90 for the first time.

Par 5 18th also at Boughton: Different round last weekend, and on for a 4th consecutive sub-90 if I could make a par. Topped driver off the tee. Then striped probably the best 3 wood I've ever hit 245 yards into the fairway to set up a 9 iron, 2 putt par.*

All "pressure" shots in their own way, and I think I'm defining a best shot by how in control and committed I am mentally when I hit it. There's been better results (closer wedges, chip ins, irons into par 3s etc) but I'm working on process rather than outcome, because none of these are particularly spectacular on their own but are special to me because of the situation.

*edit: This is exactly the sort of situation I would have contrived to make a 9 a few months ago.

Last edited:

bwstokie

Visit site
Simple

Towering PW on the par 3 15th hole at Alto Golf, Alvor, Portugal, that hit the flag and stopped about an inch from the hole. The closest I’ve ever come to holing out from the tee on a par 3. Unfortunately I was 3 off the tee having sent a hosel rocket into the trees with the first go ?

The actual best shot that actually meant something was my eagle 2, about 20 yards short of the green, on the first hole at Silves Golf on the same Algarve trip in August this year. After a crunching drive I struck a beautiful 52 degree wedge that pitched perfectly and just tracked straight into the cup.

The 5 rounds in 10 days I played on that trip was easily the best golf I’ve ever played, I was so relaxed and enjoyed every second of the time spent on the course!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At the Open at St Andrews.
My Grandkids had a go on the simulator and pushed me into having a couple of shots.
First shot I had hit in over 7 years, about 20 folk watching, I smashed it.:D

JimC

Visit site
My first (hopefully not the last) hole in one!

11th hole, Par 3. 199 Yardage on the card. Playing maybe 5/10 downhill. Best 5 iron I’ve ever hit. Pitched on the green and rolled out around 10 foot into the hole, shared the moment with 3 of my best mates. Happy days!

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
after pushing the drive into the waste area on 7th hole of my home course, i hit a tree with my 2nd and hacked my 3rd out some 30 yards short of the green
a perfectly planned and executed one-hop-stop chip rolled into the cup for a miracle par

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Missing from less than an inch yesterday. Went to just knock it in back handed but almost missed the ball.
??

Mind you, watching the film of the 1984 Open at StA I’d completely forgotten that Faldo missed from under 18” on the 1st (of final round I think). He was a grumpy Nick. Maybe that was his (worst) shot of the year, but then great watching (once more and as always) Seve‘s air punching celebration after holding that 15ft birdie on the last…wonder if that was his shot of the year ?

Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hole In One

On this hole. All down hill. PW to top left of green. Flag was at top half of green and in the middle. I watched as the ball rolled straight into the cup. On my birthday playing with my best mate. I'm going back this year. LOL

Craigyboy221

Visit site
1st hole Crow Wood GC Saturday medal. Turned up with 5 mins to spare , rough as toast and not a single practice swing when usual routine is an hour early to hit on range etc. 137 yards usually a 9 iron, feeling rough pulled out 8 iron…… right on line the second it left club, one bounce short of pin and dunk…… hole in one! Stood in disbelief with mates jumping around me. Moves to second tee and proceeds to make an 8 ??