Your shot of the year

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right at the start of the year on our 13th - 409yd - in the 4ball matchplay knockout.

Pulled my tee shot into the trees on left about 100 yd away and could only chip out, mostly sideways, so advanced only about another 30yds. One of the oppo was heard to remark " well, if Jerry now features in this hole, I'll eat my hat". My shot was a 5 wood, intending to leave a wedge & hopefully a single putt. Instead, I striped it the full 270yd to 6ft and sank the putt to win the hole. Never hit a shot like it before, and most likely never will again.

The oppo who made the comment I know well - and I frequently point at my hat making "yum, yum" noises.

Last edited:

sjw

Visit site
Definitely my 3 hybrid into our par 5 6th hole last month. Strong tailwind, didn't hit a great drive (260 yards but rock hard fairways) but made up for it with the 2nd shot with a 250 yard hybrid to 10 foot then made the putt for an eagle.
I absolutely flushed my hybrid the other day, best I've ever hit it, but there was a tree in the way. Always seems to be how it goes. It felt like if the tree weren't there, though, it would've been up there with my best ever

Springveldt

Visit site
Some phenomenal "forum" distances in this thread :eek:
Feel like this might be aimed at me for some reason but as I said, mine was downwind and rock hard fairway. I don't usually hit my hybrid that far.

ShotOfTheYear 2022.PNG

Distances 2022.PNG

These performance distances are a bit juiced for me due to the summer we have had with the hard fariways. Last year my Driver performance distance was 260 yards so definitely been getting more roll out this year.

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some phenomenal "forum" distances in this thread :eek:
I guess it's no surprise that people's best shots of the entire year are long.
I'm a short hitter but occasionally with the right atmospherics and bouncy fairways a well struck shot goes a decent distance.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Luckily I've got a few to choose from, some of my best ones were actually in January this year.

But the two that take it are:

1. My first ever eagle 2. 3rd hole at LB, 100 yards to the pin and hit one of the purest shots ever, knew it would be close but was delighted to find it in the hole.

2. Driver off the deck. Texas scramble at LB, hole 13, SI 1. 248 yards to the middle of the green, pin set at the back and I hit it perfect.

We all definitely have to focus on the good shots more often.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just a couple of weeks ago. The antithesis of a blast miles down a fairway.

My shot of the year and possibly my best ever birdie 2 (at least in my recollection I cannot remember a better one). Par 3 - pulled tee shot maybe 10yds left of green into deep grass but level with flag. Had to hit a open face lob wedge out over a deep greenside bunker to a narrow green. Green sloped down off back of bunker and past flag it drops away very quickly and off. So much peril and no room at all to work with, but got it absolutely perfect.

Ball popped up into the air and dropped softly over the bunker from a good height onto the near fringe which killed it and it rolled straight down the slope of the green slap bang into the middle of the hole. I even did a little celebratory punch of the air (yes - naff I know but hey).

The next day I went back and took a photo as flag was in same position and standing in the deep grass, deeper than in my photo (sad eh?)

8A968896-C9C8-464B-9E3C-7924BE9CF596.jpeg

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Luckily I've got a few to choose from, some of my best ones were actually in January this year.

But the two that take it are:

1. My first ever eagle 2. 3rd hole at LB, 100 yards to the pin and hit one of the purest shots ever, knew it would be close but was delighted to find it in the hole.

2. Driver off the deck. Texas scramble at LB, hole 13, SI 1. 248 yards to the middle of the green, pin set at the back and I hit it perfect.

We all definitely have to focus on the good shots more often.

Definitely. Store the good ones in the memory bank and ignore the bad ones.

I think most of my good shots have been inside 100 yards and various chips around the green. Bit boring, so here's my driver from the tee at the short par four 5th hole at Horsforth. OB left, trees right, hit a lovely drive with a baby fade, pitched just short of the green and ran up to pin high 15ft away.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220906-191507_Golf Pad.jpg
    Screenshot_20220906-191507_Golf Pad.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apart from my PW on the forth at Crompton and Royton for my first hole in one...:):) my drive and 3 wood on the 5th (539 yards) at St Annes Old Links to be on in two. Yes I did smile as I strolled up to the green and saw my ball in the middle of the green. Rory Mac, pah who's he?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Knighton Heath, an away course and playing a 4BBB Titleist match. We were 2 up stood on the 14th tee which is a really short par 3. I drained a 30 foot downhill birdie putt to put us 3 up. Next hole is a par 5 and I was through the back of the green in two. Chipped in for an eagle 3 to go 4 up and win the match.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Pairs K.O match play

My second shot 250 yards out to a few feet of the pin to tap in a birdie on stroke index 1.

They will never let me forget it

Had numerous eagles this season but that birdie trumps the lot

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
A putt on the 18th from about 15 foot off the green , a long fast running down hiller to about 2 inches to win my first singles board comp in 11 months.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t think there’s anything better than a perfectly struck 4 iron (the longest iron I carry) for that long penetrating flight into the heart of a green.

Unfortunately I haven’t successfully hit one of those this year so I can’t say. ?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Cooden, earlier this year, playing in a seniors team open. Got to the par 4 4th hole, one of my favourites. On the day, it was into a stiffish breeze, and I hadn't hit a particularly good drive. I was in the fairway, but still about 170 out, into the breeze. Had a pond to clear, hit my 5 wood as sweet as a nut, straight at the flag, didn't move at all. Pitched the green and rolled up to about a foot from the hole, canned the putt for a four point birdie. We came third in the competition by a point...????

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
This has to be my hole/shot of the year. Unfortunately wasn't in a comp or anything, just in general play with friends.

SI 18 - relatively short Par 5. Was hitting driver really badly so decided to hit irons of the tee. Was at the height of summer where the ball was flying miles and bouncing miles too. Smashed the 6 iron off the tee (my longest non-driver club. I don't hit woods/hybrids - nor do I hit my 4/5 irons.) Was expecting to be 200 yards, but just carried on rolling.
Then hit a sweet 8 iron - pin was at the front so landed it 20 yards short and just watched it roll on 2ft from the pin. Tapped in for Eagle and my first/only Eagle in about 5 years.

Appreciate my distances sound 'forum' distances, but legit I just hit the ball a long way. Have got my Garmin stats to back it up if I get called out :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMG_7846.jpg
    IMG_7846.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 5

Carlwm

Visit site
Third hole at The Village in Leeds. Par three.

Drove into a bunker, adjacent to but about ten or fifteen feet below the green. Chipped onto its higher level, caught the slope and the ball rolled down and into the hole for a birdie!

Pure fluke - I could spend thousands of hours trying and failing to replicate it - but I was entirely chuffed!