Would you change your natural swing style?

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
As the title asks, would you change your natural swing style to another one to try and improve your golf.

There are many identified and studied swing styles; one plane, two plane, stack and tilt, rotary, etc......
Each style has been used successfully by different players over the years.

How much would you want to understand about the swing style before you considered a change?

and

Would you still change if you knew it would be a lot of hard work to make the change?

A

Alex1975

Yes.

I would like to know that it was something that I could get support with when needed.

I don't care how much work it would take.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As the title asks, would you change your natural swing style to another one to try and improve your golf.

Absolutely not.

I'm a natural 2-planer, so trying to do anything else would be battling up-hill!

Improving my game within my style - absolutely!

It's not who has the prettiest swing; it's about who shoots the lowest score!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely. Went from something uncoordinated into a one plane swing. Ball striking 100% better and less moving parts. Still a work in progress to get it where I want but it's getting close.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I did.

I moved from a more traditional swing to Stack & Tilt.

Plenty of work and practice, which I enjoy, so didn't see a problem putting the time in on the range.

While my swing us not 100% S&T (I prefer to hit the push fade as opposed to the push draw) but I've found a massive improvement in my scoring since changing to the pattern.

Will I change away from the pattern. Who knows. Never say never but I don't see it being any time soon.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
they may be identified and studies but 'natural'?

whilst I can appreciate the consideration of what feels right to an individual being associated with natural it's not even that simple, because until you have an even rudimentary grip and stance you feelings for natural will be driven from other sources such as sports (cricket and tennis are common ones worldwide) or employment related movements.

the more you have played, and the older you are, the less I would be inclined to start from the perspective of 'total change' - but it's really the preserve of the better teaching professionals to be able to watch and pronounce on this; and they should be able to put solid parameters on this too.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
"As the title asks, would you change your natural swing style to another one to try and improve your golf."

100% Yes I would and am currently in the process of switching from 2 plane to Rotary. I've now got less moving parts to go wrong, a better understanding of every aspect of my swing. But more importantly better control of the golf ball. I'm in the process of the changes and once everything is fully bedded in I firmly believe Cat 1 can now be achieved this season as my long game will be far more consistent.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You'd have to define 'natural'.

I learned to play with a 2-plane swing and used it for 12yrs...(didn't we all?????) it BECAME natural through repetition but I changed to a one-plane swing and found it much more suitable. It might not be natural but it's not un-natural. Right now it seems un-natural to lift your arms so high in the air.... so I guess it must be working.