World Handicap System

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

upanddown

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is honestly confusing the life out of me, and I'm on the handicap committee and know the current system inside out.

Will it be calculated against Gross score to CSS ?
So the average score over CSS is your handicap ?

If so, this is going to play havoc with matchplay comps.

Guy that has won our main matchplay board comp two years in a row is off 12, his handicap would be 15 if this system was introduced if based on gross score to CSS.
And this is a guy that plays plenty of qualifiers, possibly 30 a year, so not someone protecting a handicap, someone who is actively trying to get lower.

He will breeze the comp every year :)

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I really don't see the neccessity of this. How many amateur golfers do compete internationally anyway? But that said, I don't much care how the handicap is calculated. It will never be "perfect" and cover all eventualities. It is just there to level the playing field a bit between a good player and a weekend hacker, so that they can still go out and have a competitive round against each other. And the US, UK and EGA system all seem to do that more or less equally well within their own system.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I really don't see the neccessity of this. How many amateur golfers do compete internationally anyway? But that said, I don't much care how the handicap is calculated. It will never be "perfect" and cover all eventualities. It is just there to level the playing field a bit between a good player and a weekend hacker, so that they can still go out and have a competitive round against each other. And the US, UK and EGA system all seem to do that more or less equally well within their own system.

I agree

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where you getting your info from? It’d be great to read some detail on the proposals?
A presentation by England Golf to its Handicap Advisers.

It is being rolled out to club handicap secretaries in presentations around the country during the next few months

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is honestly confusing the life out of me, and I'm on the handicap committee and know the current system inside out.

Will it be calculated against Gross score to CSS ?
So the average score over CSS is your handicap ?

Average of the best 8 from the last 20. Not average score.

If so, this is going to play havoc with matchplay comps.

Guy that has won our main matchplay board comp two years in a row is off 12, his handicap would be 15 if this system was introduced if based on gross score to CSS.
And this is a guy that plays plenty of qualifiers, possibly 30 a year, so not someone protecting a handicap, someone who is actively trying to get lower.

He will breeze the comp every year :)

What will happen to the handicaps of his opponents? Won't they be different?

Last edited:

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My handicap is 5.4 and having worked out my best 8 from the last 20 I would be at 4.8 so I guesss that it is pretty similar. I would imagine that when this is introduced there will be plenty of bitching and moaning then after a year or two it will just become normal.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You'd be better off bringing in a better course rating system prior to bringing in a uniform handicapping system.

The current system just doesn't work.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
As far as I can see the main difference other than best 8 from 20 is that a handicap will go from a measure of your potential in competative golf to a measure of your potential across the board: social and competative.

In the end I doubt it will make much difference, you may get people artificially keeping their handicap high, but they can do this now of they so wish. It's why we have handicap committees, to try and keep a check on them.

I really like the idea of 54 holes to get a handicap in any format. Often I only have time for 9, it took me ages to get a handicap again because I have a 5 day membership and just couldn't get 3 rounds of 18 together.

It makes sense to harmonise the handicapping system around the world, it does smack a little of the US dictating to us but after reading the article in GM it doesn't seem too onerous a change and means playing anybody from any other country will just be a simple comparison.

Whereas I read not long ago that a British person will be better than a US player with the same handicap as their handicap was gained solely through competition golf with the added pressure and slower pace of play.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Can't say i'm over the moon by this move. Guys i've seen play who already use this system had vastly inaccurate handicaps compared with ability. Plus what happens at the clubs where you could in effect be on winter greens for 5 months with a vastly shorter course.

At the moment we have a comp handicap, so are going to move to a social handicap ?

Also this system looks like its easier to manipulate. at the moment 8 bad scores could mean your handicap only really goes up a shot in that time, whats going to happen here, going from 10 to 20 in the same time?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Can't say i'm over the moon by this move. Guys i've seen play who already use this system had vastly inaccurate handicaps compared with ability. Plus what happens at the clubs where you could in effect be on winter greens for 5 months with a vastly shorter course.

At the moment we have a comp handicap, so are going to move to a social handicap ?

Also this system looks like its easier to manipulate. at the moment 8 bad scores could mean your handicap only really goes up a shot in that time, whats going to happen here, going from 10 to 20 in the same time?

I don't think it will be a social handicap as obviously competitions will count towards your handicap. At worst it will be a mix, but as it has been pointed out you don't HAVE to put in your social round cards. I suppose for people who can't get out early on weekends they will be able to keep their handicaps, or if you are consistently playing very well it will be a quicker way to lower your handicap.

As for winter, either just don't put in your social rounds, in which case it won't be any different to what we have now.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
You'd be better off bringing in a better course rating system prior to bringing in a uniform handicapping system.

The current system just doesn't work.

From a focus group I went to last year, a new course rating was proposed. Alongside that, the weather on the day will be taken into account, how everyone else did daily.

How it’ll all be implemented here I don’t know but hopefully like the states are getting. Handicaps updated automatically daily, scores inputted through an app or the computer.

Take a look at the US sites that are reporting on this, you’ll get a better idea. Nothing much changes their way.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Change of subject a bit, but just seen you're form the Highlands.

Have you played Aberfoyle? I was in the highlands last year near Callendar and kept driving past it. Didn't have my clubs with me so couldn't play but it looked like a beautiful course with some cracking views.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Change of subject a bit, but just seen you're form the Highlands.

Have you played Aberfoyle? I was in the highlands last year near Callendar and kept driving past it. Didn't have my clubs with me so couldn't play but it looked like a beautiful course with some cracking views.

isn't that Stirling way? not really the highlands, more central belt. I'm in Inverness.

no never played it

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
How will this work at clubs that don't have a PSI system?
There could dozens of cards coming in every day and someone needs to process them...
If you have a computer system that players use, it will be fairly easy. Sign in to confirm the round will count, input the scores after the round, just like a comp, and let the computer do its thing. But what if the computer is down? Ours was for 3 days last month...
But with no PSI system - who does it?
It will need someone present virtually every day to get the cards processed. Leave it a couple of days and you might have a days work.
The impact on smaller clubs could be huge...
The new system also means that people don't have to play competitions. They can get their handicap from more relaxed, albeit still mildly competitive games.
It will also bring in the possibility of playing to an incorrect handicap as it could change after every round
At the moment you can calculate your own cut against SSS if you've put in a good score - allowing you to play off, potentially, your new handicap before the card is processed. With the new system, if your card isn't processed on the same day, with this "massaging" calculation, you'll have no idea what you'll be playing off next game..
A lot of questions but not many real answers.....
Interesting times ahead

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Back on topic..

Take your best 8 medals out of your last 20 comps. (Or non comp, your choice come 2020)

Use default UK course and slope rating if you don’t have one at yours. 70-113

Enter into a free USGA handicap calculator. See what you get!

I got 10 hcp 4 shots off. Should be single figure come WHS adoption.