GM Article - Handicap System Ruining Comps for Low Handicaps

Hoganman1

Visit site
Here's an interesting thing that the handicap doesn't handle very well. One of the guys in my group is eight years younger than me (74 and 66). He plays tees that are 6250 yards while I play from 5800. His hdcp from his tees is 10. Mine is 9 from my tees. So I have to give him a shot on our #1 hdcp hole. However, his average drive is around 240 while I average just 200. The #1 hdcp hole at our course plays 405 from his tee and 391 from my tee. Because of his length he usually plays a seven iron for his approach while I play a four wood. If he makes a par I have to make a birdie to tie him. Sometime he plays a bad approach or three putts and I tie with par but it doesn't happen very often. I understand golf isn't always fair or perfect. I just thought I'd share this too see what others think.

Springveldt

Visit site
Here's an interesting thing that the handicap doesn't handle very well. One of the guys in my group is eight years younger than me (74 and 66). He plays tees that are 6250 yards while I play from 5800. His hdcp from his tees is 10. Mine is 9 from my tees. So I have to give him a shot on our #1 hdcp hole. However, his average drive is around 240 while I average just 200. The #1 hdcp hole at our course plays 405 from his tee and 391 from my tee. Because of his length he usually plays a seven iron for his approach while I play a four wood. If he makes a par I have to make a birdie to tie him. Sometime he plays a bad approach or three putts and I tie with par but it doesn't happen very often. I understand golf isn't always fair or perfect. I just thought I'd share this too see what others think.
Typically the lower handicap player is longer or more consistent from the tee so have an advantage on the long par 4’s. They are typically better long iron players as well.

If he is typically scoring par on the hole then either his handicap is wrong or the stroke index might be wrong. I know at my old club the stroke index 1 hole was a 460 yard par 4, typically into the wind. Even as a mid single figure handicapper it was my worst hole to par on the course, think I averaged 5.2 strokes on it for last season.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Realistically there are always going to be some holes that suit some golfers more than others , I don't think handicapping will ever even up everyone on individual holes the question is over 18 does it give you an equal match.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Not a reflection of form if the guy puts in one card a month at most, for example. Not sure what the solution

Isn't this what the 95% is for? To try to equalize things? In my opinion 95 is too big a number for this.
Agreed, the quickest and easiest solution to WHS is make the playing handicap percentage smaller, 90% or even 85% and you might go some way to equalising things again. Same goes for 4BBB especially matchplay, higher handicaps have a massive advantage with their allowances

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed, the quickest and easiest solution to WHS is make the playing handicap percentage smaller, 90% or even 85% and you might go some way to equalising things again. Same goes for 4BBB especially matchplay, higher handicaps have a massive advantage with their allowances
85% in 4BBB is not a massive advantage. It removes slope from the equation, every 4BBB I've played this year in Opens has taken my h/c back to where I start, HI - CI - 85% for PH, always to HI. No point in reading the board 🤷‍♀️

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
85% in 4BBB is not a massive advantage. It removes slope from the equation, every 4BBB I've played this year in Opens has taken my h/c back to where I start, HI - CI - 85% for PH, always to HI. No point in reading the board 🤷‍♀️
Matchplay it's 90%

4BBB opens are rare in Scotland, and since they became counting for h'cap things I won't play anyway

Visit site
As this is vaguely around WHS… could someone explain how better ball scoring is applied to handicaps?

I played in a better ball pairs comp yesterday, I finished 17 holes and had 36 points… I entered this on the system alongside my partners scores, which brought us up to 41 pts… But this hasn’t gone onto my handicap record.

Did we need 42 pts for my score to be calculated?
Surely if I’ve entered an 18 hole scorecard, it shouldn’t really matter what my partner did? I’d understand if for example I completed 12 holes and it needs to extrapolate some scores.. But when I’ve basically handed in a card and played 18 holes, that should count towards my handicap?

wjemather

Visit site
As this is vaguely around WHS… could someone explain how better ball scoring is applied to handicaps?

I played in a better ball pairs comp yesterday, I finished 17 holes and had 36 points… I entered this on the system alongside my partners scores, which brought us up to 41 pts… But this hasn’t gone onto my handicap record.

Surely if I’ve entered an 18 hole scorecard, it shouldn’t really matter what my partner did? I’d understand if for example I completed 12 holes and it needs to extrapolate some scores.. But when I’ve basically handed in a card and played 18 holes, that should count towards my handicap?
The calculation for 4BBB is not as simple as taking your actual hole scores. First, you need a team score of 42 or more points. Second, you need to have the counting score on 9 or more holes. If you were outscored by your partner on any holes, you are given 1 (if they scored 1) or 1.5 points (if they scored 2 or more) for those holes; e.g. if you scored 3 but your partner scored 4, you get credited with 1.5 points.

The committee in charge of the comp would also need to have setup the comp correctly as acceptable for handicapping for scores to be submitted as they should.

Your pair's score of 41 points fails the first test.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site

This is how it works:
1718398650875.png

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
When both players score same points which player gets it attributed to their individual score ?
See the lower middle section. "Where there score did not count ........."

Or did you mean 'total score'?

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Remember, this is not like submitting an individual competition or general play score. You were playing as a team and what your partner did or didn't do could influence the way you played. Further, you could well be advising each other on club selection etc.

Last edited: