GM Article - Handicap System Ruining Comps for Low Handicaps

wjemather

Visit site
There are potentially some quite big swings, for example if you get 3 points and your partner gets 4 points then you are allocated 1.5 points, the same score as you would get if you scored 0 points.

"Handicap Committees will be justified in disregarding scores for handicapping purposes where scores for both players are recorded on a significant number of holes on a regular basis."
Given that very often these are Open competitions I can’t see how the handicap committee can have a clue about previous scoring patterns of visitors. I would like to think that strong advice is given to entrants that only one score per hole should be recorded unless it is 2 twos in a twos competition.
The guidance is for the home club handicap committee, which has access to the scores on the WHS platform, and can act accordingly.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The guidance is for the home club handicap committee, which has access to the scores on the WHS platform, and can act accordingly.
But that doesn't answer the question 'Why does B get 1.5 if he has picked up and A has scored 2+'? and 'who is credited with 3 if both score 3'?

D-S

Visit site
Agreed, just can’t see it happening to visitors too often though.
Strong guidance on entry is the best recommendation l

D-S

Visit site
But that doesn't answer the question 'Why does B get 1.5 if he has picked up and A has scored 2+'? and 'who is credited with 3 if both score 3'?
They both get credited with 3 if both scores appear on the card.
As for B getting 1.5 if A has scored two or more and that is higher than B irrespective of B’s score - those are the rules.

wjemather

Visit site
4BBB is a "team game". We have no information as to why a player picked up - they could have had a tap in for 3 points when their partner holed for 3 or more, or they could have picked up because they couldn't score at all. A scaling up mechanism is therefore used to generate a total score reflective of how they played and the only way to do that (without using MLS) is by awarding points based on what their partner did score.

On holes where the player does not have the counting score, they are given a points allocation based on their partners score; where both players are recorded as having the counting score, both get that score.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
4BBB is a "team game". We have no information as to why a player picked up - they could have had a tap in for 3 points when their partner holed for 3 or more, or they could have picked up because they couldn't score at all. A scaling up mechanism is therefore used to generate a total score reflective of how they played and the only way to do that (without using MLS) is by awarding points based on what their partner did score.
Thanks. I do understand the reasoning but it doesn't feel as 'tight' as other parts of the system.

Re "where both players are recorded as having the counting score, both get that score."
Where does it spell that out?

wjemather

Visit site
Thanks. I do understand the reasoning but it doesn't feel as 'tight' as other parts of the system.

Re "where both players are recorded as having the counting score, both get that score."
Where does it spell that out?
Rule 5.10
"Where both players score the same number of points on a hole, both scores are eligible to be used to create an individual 18-hole score. However, if the first player to hole out can be readily identified, the second player's score should not count towards the team score for that hole."

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play every Wednesday with a group of guys (about 8 on a regular basis) where I give 7 to 24 shots, we always play in the competition a stableford but have a 4bbb between us.

Who ever draws me knows we will normally lose.

Yesterday our opponents had 11 three's and 2 four's in the round, my partner was overwhelmed and while I was under par for the first 7 holes we were still 2 down at that stage.

If I suggested that we had a gross prize, I would be laughed at, a few of the guys do comment that it is not fair, but still put their hand out to take my money with a smile on their face.

One guy in particular off a 28 handicap actually thinks he is a good golfer, takes on shots that Seve would not dream of, has at least 4 wipes but makes up for it with par's on holes he gets two shots on, not sure how I can compete with that.

I make the odd comment I only need to hole my second shot for an Eagle for a half, some of them get the joke.
This is me every Friday in our swindle. For me to win it usually means it has been very windy.