GM Article - Handicap System Ruining Comps for Low Handicaps

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Both, if they satisfy the requirements above.

Thanks, what I expected. I just couldn’t see how two individuals scores could comply with the “The players individual score must count towards the team score” as noted above, when only one individual players score can possibly meet this requirement

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks, what I expected. I just couldn’t see how two individuals scores could comply with the “The players individual score must count towards the team score” as noted above, when only one individual players score can possibly meet this requirement
See my alteration to #459. I misread your question

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The example doesn't really show whether B also 'scored' 3 points but he scored after A had already scored 3 points. The implication is that he did and for this purpose he was only allocated 1.5. Presumably because there was now no pressure.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The example doesn't really show whether B also 'scored' 3 points but he scored after A had already scored 3 points. The implication is that he did and for this purpose he was only allocated 1.5. Presumably because there was now no pressure.

So when both players score same points the default is its whoever holes out first that gets their score recorded for the team
Is that written or just understood by all

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So when both players score same points the default is its whoever holes out first that gets their score recorded for the team
I haven't found an explanation of what 'score doesn't count' is supposed to mean. But that is my interpretation.

I would be happier if someone could confirm or deny. 🙏

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
That’s my understanding and the way I have always marked the physical scorecard.
However Rule 23.2b which covers a sides scorecard in strokeplay, allows both scores to be entered on the card.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
That’s my understanding and the way I have always marked the physical scorecard.

Yeah me too but I'm not sure if I've always been 100% vigilant in that over the years, I think what I was trying to figure out in the context of this team format counting for individual handicap is:

The team stand on 18th tee with a team score of 42 points (so far)
Player A has 9 counting holes for the team
Player B has 8 counting holes for the team

Both score 3pts on 18th hole and Player A holed out before Player B
(assume they both now have at least 36 individual points)

Must the 3pt team score achieved on 18th hole be recorded against Player A given him 10 counting holes or is there any scope (or penalty) if it was noted against Player B so he could also achieve 9 counting holes ?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yeah me too but I'm not sure if I've always been 100% vigilant in that over the years, I think what I was trying to figure out in the context of this team format counting for individual handicap is:

Must the 3pt team score achieved on 18th hole be recorded against Player A given him 10 counting holes or is there any scope (or penalty) if it was noted against Player B so he could also achieve 9 counting holes ?
Nothing to say it must. (Although the marker would probably record it against A if that is the way the round has been marked so far, unless asked to put against B?).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

My logic tells me that if A has already got the counting score B can't. Possibly the 'rules' should now require the marker to circle the first of equal scores.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My logic tells me that if A has already got the counting score B can't. Possibly the 'rules' should now require the marker to circle the first of equal scores.

Yeah up to now when asking a pair for their scores (as the marker) in the case or equal points do I always consciously recall which of them holed out first? I don't think I do :unsure:
In fact I'm sure I don't, I write each gross score plus points for both players then their team points in the Result A/B , making no note of whether A or B is the contributor (in the case of equal points)

1719919287145.png

wjemather

Visit site
Under the rules of golf, when both partners hole out, the lower score is the side's score; if partners score the same, either or both may be recorded but it's usual to only record the score for the first player to hole out.

For handicapping, if the score is recorded for both players, it is submitted for both players. However, "Handicap Committees will be justified in disregarding scores for handicapping purposes where scores for both players are recorded on a significant number of holes on a regular basis."

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
If I was keeping score, I'd write a result for both players on each hole. It's the committee's responsibility to sort after that.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have I got it right? The picture in post #457 suggests that if player B had 'no score' he would still get 1.5.

wjemather

Visit site
Have I got it right? The picture in post #457 suggests that if player B had 'no score' he would still get 1.5.
If Player B scores 0 on a hole, they only get 1.5 points if player A gets 2 or more points on that hole; they get 1 point if A gets 1 point; and 0 if A also gets 0.

D-S

Visit site
There are potentially some quite big swings, for example if you get 3 points and your partner gets 4 points then you are allocated 1.5 points, the same score as you would get if you scored 0 points.

"Handicap Committees will be justified in disregarding scores for handicapping purposes where scores for both players are recorded on a significant number of holes on a regular basis."
Given that very often these are Open competitions I can’t see how the handicap committee can have a clue about previous scoring patterns of visitors. I would like to think that strong advice is given to entrants that only one score per hole should be recorded unless it is 2 twos in a twos competition.