World Handicap System

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
A very long way from being au fait with all things handicap but copying and pasting from the article

Features of the new system include social rounds counting towards handicap and an average-based handicap which takes into account your best 8 of the last 20 scores. - Social rounds to count I would take to include weekly roll ups. Reading the article thats the implication I took

l

As Rulefan has alreadynexplained, and subsequentlynresponded to your post, social rounds to be included is to be on a par with the existing supplemental rules.

Put another way; the more I look at the combination of calculation and scores to count the more I see the underlying matrix being on a par with the existing (new this year) CONGU basis incorporating the splope rating elements.

Personally I plan to return a card for every time I'm heading out to play 18 holes with other members - and that will include matches if those cards can be returned (as they're under the USGA provisions (but given the above I'm starting to think they will be excluded!)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It would certainly be stupid to enforce social rounds to count towards a handicap. Maybe they want to encourage more people to keep a score and that fine, but enforcing is not practical.

After all a social round is just that. Plus many people play match play format which can mean totally different shot selection & reacting to your opponents shot rather than protect your score.

You our can certainly declare before you play that you are going to hand in the card & obviously have to hole out etc if you want to try & improve your handicap.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
For the majority of people social rounds are rounds for enjoyment without the pressures of a Comp and the HC being on the line - it’s about having fun and being social and the odd gimmies etc - social golf is a big make up of the fabric of the game in the uk - change it and it will lose members to the sport and many will just forget about Comp golf and make their own HCs up
There is no compulsion to return 'social' cards or even to play by the rules.
But if you you want a handicap that reflects your ability, then the more 'legitimate' cards you put in the better.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They are not.

I get it. you don't have to put in every card.

Its just the way your handicap is calculated is different (8from20).

The option is there to include any rounds played to full rules.

If you want a social game and not bother about your handicap then you are also free to do so.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
For the majority of people social rounds are rounds for enjoyment without the pressures of a Comp and the HC being on the line - it’s about having fun and being social and the odd gimmies etc - social golf is a big make up of the fabric of the game in the uk - change it and it will lose members to the sport and many will just forget about Comp golf and make their own HCs up

I was pretty much of that mindset when I went out to NZ but after six months or so it had changed and it was just another round of golf and certainly since coming back dont have the "fear" of "oh no it's a Medal round " with I think has helped me be a better player with card in hand now than before.
We used to have gimmies , allowed out there and there was a certain amount of practising around the greens too so long as not impinging on others .

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I was pretty much of that mindset when I went out to NZ but after six months or so it had changed and it was just another round of golf and certainly since coming back dont have the "fear" of "oh no it's a Medal round " with I think has helped me be a better player with card in hand now than before.
We used to have gimmies , allowed out there and there was a certain amount of practising around the greens too so long as not impinging on others .

This is a good point, but practically it would take a lot longer for golf to get played on non-competition days.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

that sounds manageable :)

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is a good point, but practically it would take a lot longer for golf to get played on non-competition days.

Not sure, get to double bogey and then pick up . Admittedly courses out there a lot quieter but as mentioned above rounds a lot quicker and every one was pretty much putting cards in for every round !!

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site

I would say a lot of golfers already do, don't mean that flippantly, I mean my dad plays two or three times a week with the other seniors and they have their own seniors HC used for they play together, his club HC is different but then he doesn't play in any club competitions and golf for my dada and his mates is purely to get out the house, get some exercise and a bit chat in the clubhouse bar afterwards.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I plan to return a card for every time I'm heading out to play 18 holes with other members - and that will include matches if those cards can be returned (as they're under the USGA provisions (but given the above I'm starting to think they will be excluded!)

I've got no intention of retuning any of my social rounds, unless there is a club rule or bylaw that says I must.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Very pleased at the suggestion that there might not be an obligation to submit all social rounds as that would've been a bit of a spoiler for me. Being able to decide in advance of a social round if we are submitting scores will be much better.

I did a quick calculation and the best eight scores from my last 20, based on score over CSS, would give me an average of 5.25. My current handicap is 5.4 so it's pretty accurate in that regard.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd be inclined to enter all my rounds. Pretty much ever round i play is played within the rules and competitively, so it would be a truer reflection on my handicap to use all of them

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Pretty exciting times ahead what with the Rules and Handicapping undergoing huge changes

I'm all for submitting more scores from non-comp golf (and especially from different courses)

I wonder what the average number of supplementary cards submitted per UK club member is in a year? It might well be pretty low (i.e an average of less than 1) so this may be a big adjustment for some, but if it helps handicap accuracy and how it travels then it's got to be good

It'll cut out all the, my roll-up handicap is x, my club handicap is y, my society handicap is z