World Handicap System

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do you need to putt out every time ?

Not every round will automatically qualify for HC purposes - still plenty of scope for just social golf - there would be much difference between this and the supplementary cards.
I was referring to the fact that cards/score submitted will have to have been played to qualifying conditions.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
8 in last 20 will certainly put a lot of guys up the way.

I played with guys who were high teens or low 20s, but only played 3 strokeplay medals a year, all well above buffer & went up 0.1. Their handicap was maintained and they used it to play in social sweeps, knock out comps, social match play & Texas scrambles.

Obviously they are not exactly robbing anyone by keeping an artificially low handicap.

I guess its swings & roundabouts as nothing worse than a d.bogey will prob bring many poor stroke play rounds back into handicap contention.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
No it doesn't but a calculation that considers the impact that abnormal course and weather conditions does in Australia.
Does the initial slope take into account usual weather conditions in the area?
For example a links course where SSS is +1 but due to wind usually rises to a CSS of +3

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does the initial slope take into account usual weather conditions in the area?
For example a links course where SSS is +1 but due to wind usually rises to a CSS of +3

Not sure about your example - SSS and all course rating systems base the underlying resting on the normal weather conditions.

So for most links courses an unusual lack of wind is more likely to trigger a reduction in the rating.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK so currently Im a bad 7 handicapper (6.7). Just looked at my last 20 comp scores (i dont record other scores). Taking the best 8 gives me an average of 7.5. Taking the last 8 gives me an average of 13.6

Im guessing for those of us who have been injured and/or got worse, handicaps gonna rise a bit quicker under this method! Or am i missing something?

It’s definitely best 8 not last 8. It’s so much more than CSS obviously, but if it was I was -18 to CSS for my best 8 rounds so would be off +2 😂😂😂

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s definitely best 8 not last 8. It’s so much more than CSS obviously, but if it was I was -18 to CSS for my best 8 rounds so would be off +2 😂😂😂

I know its best 8, but looking at last 8 as a comparison gives an interesting view on where it could be heading!

Enjoy giving the course 2 shots haha

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Dont think you have read this right Homer.

Basically nothing has changed for us In this regard; comps plus sup plementals counting, but the basis of calculation will change (how much will depend on the fudge factors)

A very long way from being au fait with all things handicap but copying and pasting from the article

Features of the new system include social rounds counting towards handicap and an average-based handicap which takes into account your best 8 of the last 20 scores. - Social rounds to count I would take to include weekly roll ups. Reading the article thats the implication I took

Flexibility in formats of play, allowing both competitive and recreational rounds to count for handicap purposes and ensuring that a golfer’s handicap is more reflective of potential ability - Again reading that, it implies the onus in social cards being made to count.

I don't think a lot of our Cat 1 players will be happy as they'll want to retain that status especially as a few play in local open events, some which have ballots to get in.

I'm sure I've read too much into it and would enjoy being put right. Not sure all the old boys at the club will want to be handing cards in for the Coffin Dodgers roll up twice a week. They all play the senior competitions twice a month so all have an active handicap which I would argue is as much of a realistic handicap as this system is intending. None are sandbagging their handicap at all and given the number of comps in a year they play why add the need to hand more cards in?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
One my concerns though is that the majority of play for me is off the yellow tees and I would not really want a handicap based upon the yellow tees rather than the white tees.

You will have a different handicap when you play off different tees (or different course). The more difficult the course the higher your allowance.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A very long way from being au fait with all things handicap but copying and pasting from the article

Features of the new system include social rounds counting towards handicap and an average-based handicap which takes into account your best 8 of the last 20 scores. - Social rounds to count I would take to include weekly roll ups. Reading the article thats the implication I took

'Social' rounds will have to be pre registered like supplementary scores if they are to be used for handicap calculations. But they don't have to be used.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
As for bounce games with mates when just out enjoying the fact you are out having a laugh, why would anyone want those rounds to count?

The assumption so far in this thread that people are playing their home course, what about playing away, forum meets, there are plenty of those.

I can see this being brilliant for the bandits who want as high a handicap as possible so they can clean up at open comps, and similarly for those who want to play on a low handicap for vanity purposes, but for the rest of us who play a weekend comp at their home course and the odd mid week game through the longer summer days, I don't see much if anything changing.

For bounce games the only change will be if the club enforces a strict every card must be returned policy which would then make all rounds count. Could also be interesting for those that N/R on a regular basis as well.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have they published any details on the nitty gritty of this, all the links I've seen are a fairly banal press release?

Can't say I like the idea but maybe the implementation details would allay some of my concerns.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you afraid of putting a social round in because it will change your handicap, maybe your handicap is just a vanity hc, and you are actually a worse player than it suggests.

The current system can be silly, so many people I play with put in 3 cards a year and have a totally meaningless handicap, which they then tell everyone is their standard.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you afraid of putting a social round in because it will change your handicap, maybe your handicap is just a vanity hc, and you are actually a worse player than it suggests.

The current system can be silly, so many people I play with put in 3 cards a year and have a totally meaningless handicap, which they then tell everyone is their standard.

i dont know about others but for me its more about i dont play my social rounds to competition rules and dont really want to start to after 30 years. My handicap is currently too low after a couple of injuries, maybe ill get one i can play to in 2020 :)

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i dont know about others but for me its more about i dont play my social rounds to competition rules and dont really want to start to after 30 years. My handicap is currently too low after a couple of injuries, maybe ill get one i can play to in 2020 :)

Ok fair enough

I play all my golf to full rules...actually has made me a much better player in a short time span.

I pretty much always play for money, even if just a fiver so expect others I play with to follow rules too.

D

Deleted member 15344

For the majority of people social rounds are rounds for enjoyment without the pressures of a Comp and the HC being on the line - it’s about having fun and being social and the odd gimmies etc - social golf is a big make up of the fabric of the game in the uk - change it and it will lose members to the sport and many will just forget about Comp golf and make their own HCs up

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ok fair enough

I play all my golf to full rules...actually has made me a much better player in a short time span.

I pretty much always play for money, even if just a fiver so expect others I play with to follow rules too.

nah in bounce games there will be plenty of gimmes and the odd bit of practising (especially short game), i guess ill just have to hole out and hit a lot of provisionals :)

happy to play for money under these conditions (albeit tiny stakes as im losing most games haha)