World Handicap System

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn’t the difference though the lack of declaration required when this system comes in ?

I don't know, I haven't seen the detail! I was commenting on your statement that it would be every round that people want to count plus competitions.

Surely you aren't suggesting that people can decide whether to count any particular round after they finish it? Completely destroys the whole principle of average score based handicapping! The details will eventually getnpublished and we will know.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It won’t be an every round counts I believe - it will be every round that you want to count plus comps which then opens it up to more people to manufacture their HC as high as possible and indeed as low as possible

But on any given day there are likely to be several players wanting their round to count and if they play more carefully because of that then it'll effect everyone else playing on that day.

D

Deleted member 15344

But on any given day there are likely to be several players wanting their round to count and if they play more carefully because of that then it'll effect everyone else playing on that day.

The same as if they are doing a supplementary card just like now - you would hope that when people do cards for HC they still follow pace of play regulations . Do we really expect the course to full of people doing scorecards ?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do we really expect the course to full of people doing scorecards ?

Well clearly there are a huge number of people who believe this is what should happen! There's a strong argument that compmrounds will really grind to a halt because currently 0.1 is 0.1...going forwards every shot could be relevant to your average calculation!

The counter argument, which generally drives US golfers, is that because every card counts they are more relaxed about their cards generally, and bad ones won't necessarily count at all (ever).

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
The counter argument, which generally drives US golfers, is that because every card counts they are more relaxed about their cards generally, and bad ones won't necessarily count at all (ever).

Certainly was true in NZ under their version, it's just another game of golf and in my experience rounds out there were quicker than here .

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Will most peoples handicaps initially rise to begin with.

In the current system you only really have to have a decent round every now and again to get a nice cut. If you average out your scores over a period of time, the average score is likely to be above your current handicap.

Is that right?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Will most peoples handicaps initially rise to begin with.

In the current system you only really have to have a decent round every now and again to get a nice cut. If you average out your scores over a period of time, the average score is likely to be above your current handicap.

Is that right?

In my experience it was the other way round in NZ but that may have been due to always playing in pretty decent conditions . It was noticed that the more elderly members handicaps would go out over the Winter months then drop again once the course dried up a bit

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The implementation will vary according to each national union's requirements.

The average of the best 8 of the last 20 will be universal.
Unions will continue to be able to bias toward play of comps and/or all singles rounds.
Categories will go.
Daily score adjustments will come in for non comp scores but comps will have a separate calculation
'Social' scores (in US) will have similar rules to our supplementary scores. ie predeclared with marker
Net double bogey will be universal

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
An average-based calculation of a handicap, taken from the best eight out of the last 20 scores and factoring in memory of previous demonstrated ability for better responsiveness and control

The highlighted may reduce the ability to manipulate the system quickly.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks like it will do away with the need to have a handicap committee, the annual review and continuous reviews as it will all become automatic if the players submit enough cards.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OK so currently Im a bad 7 handicapper (6.7). Just looked at my last 20 comp scores (i dont record other scores). Taking the best 8 gives me an average of 7.5. Taking the last 8 gives me an average of 13.6

Im guessing for those of us who have been injured and/or got worse, handicaps gonna rise a bit quicker under this method! Or am i missing something?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Struggling to find out how weather conditions affect the USGA system, can you shed any light mate?
No it doesn't but a calculation that considers the impact that abnormal course and weather conditions does in Australia.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks like it will do away with the need to have a handicap committee, the annual review and continuous reviews as it will all become automatic if the players submit enough cards.

Committee will have a primary responsibility to watch for abnormal patterns!

We have only just opened the floodgates on supplementals under CONGU so theres no real experience of what such an approach might drive (against the current paradigm of Q and non Q events and prize tables). Anecdotally there has been increasing manipulation of handicaps but it's impossible to quantify it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't see "every round to count" helping with the current pace of play crisis so often flagged as a reason for golf's falling popularity.
Surely some will play every round with the intensity and slowness of a medal competition?
Net double bogey max score will help

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can see this having huge implications. We have a number of groups playing social roll ups at weekends and in the week and I don't think any of those would want their handicap on the line every time so no doubt will introduce give me's on every hole to make it non-qualifying. Will this have an implication on people joining clubs, especially those that are happy being social golfers and may only want to play a handful of competitions a year.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have just done a quick check on my own handicap.

It remains unchanged using the new calculation.

Obviously this is just based on qualifying rounds but I think there is not a lot of difference between them and 'social' round because virtually every social game I play is in a swindle.

The only real difference will become the need to putt out every time for most of the guys I play with.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One my concerns though is that the majority of play for me is off the yellow tees and I would not really want a handicap based upon the yellow tees rather than the white tees.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why do you need to putt out every time ?

Not every round will automatically qualify for HC purposes - still plenty of scope for just social golf - there would be much difference between this and the supplementary cards.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can see this having huge implications. We have a number of groups playing social roll ups at weekends and in the week and I don't think any of those would want their handicap on the line every time so no doubt will introduce give me's on every hole to make it non-qualifying. Will this have an implication on people joining clubs, especially those that are happy being social golfers and may only want to play a handful of competitions a year.

Dont think you have read this right Homer.

Basically nothing has changed for us In this regard; comps plus sup plementals counting, but the basis of calculation will change (how much will depend on the fudge factors)