Winter golf course recommendations - Yorkshire

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Hi All,

Along a similar theme to some current threads, I’m looking for Yorkshire course recommendations for December, so ideally good drainage etc. I’ve a friend visiting from Kent and keen to get a couple of rounds in!

I play at Woolley Park which is normally v good in the winter months, but, keen to try somewhere new too. Ganton is an obvious contender, but, a little far (and difficult! :ROFLMAO:), as hoping for somewhere within 45mins of Leeds. Hopefully between West / South Yorkshire, there will be some good options. Fulford, together with Hillsborough and Rotherham have been mentioned amongst others.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks :)(y)

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Funnily enough, I played Moor Allerton last December - think it was only about £25 or so which was a great deal, though we’d had a lot of rain beforehand which may explain why we got it so cheap! Lovely course.

@Tashyboy & I played Moor Allerton a few years ago about an hour after a torrential downpour. The course was perfectly playable, you wouldn't have thought it had rained much at all. The green fee was very reasonable for a course of this quality.

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks and that is a good point on Selby and I played quite recently coincidentally. Really enjoyed, though was surprised that the 1st hole especially was very wet, as I’d heard similar in terms of its condition being great year round as it’s sand based I think?

Selby is a very good winter course. Not too sure of my facts but I do believe they don’t have any winter greens as they are unnecessary. I’m playing it on Friday so I’ll try to confirm.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
@Tashyboy & I played Moor Allerton a few years ago about an hour after a torrential downpour. The course was perfectly playable, you wouldn't have thought it had rained much at all. The green fee was very reasonable for a course of this quality.
If memory serves me right it was Biblical with the rain before we turned up. But the course looked really really good when we played.

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Any one had experience of Headingley GC? Cropped up on an old thread as being decent in winter and though I’ve never played it, have been past it a couple of times and always thought looked good!

Mandofred

Visit site
Moor Allerton is on our free reciprocal list....nice course. Haven't played it during the winter though.
Pannal I've never played, but the people I know who play it every year say it gets about as sloppy as anywhere here in the Harrogate area.
We added a new course to the reciprocal list (Sandburn, just NW of York) that we played a few months ago. Seems like it would be a good draining course.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Any one had experience of Headingley GC? Cropped up on an old thread as being decent in winter and though I’ve never played it, have been past it a couple of times and always thought looked good!
Played it last year. Quite hilly, lots of side hill lies. Didn't like it at all. Was in reasonable condition, nothing special.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Played it last year. Quite hilly, lots of side hill lies. Didn't like it at all. Was in reasonable condition, nothing special.

I'd have to disagree! Lovely course (although yes it's hilly) and one of the better draining courses in Leeds area. Rarely closes due to weather. But that's relative, as everywhere else is really poor ?

The others... I played Moor Allerton when it's wet and it's not great unfortunately. I suspect Alwoodley is good but it's expensive and they're updating the drainage so tees/greens may be shut.

Simonsmh

Visit site
I lived in Sheffield and was a number here for a while. Course always in great condition and plays very well in the winter. First 3/4 holes our probably the toughest opening holes in the country, especially when the wind blows…. Which it does quite a bit!?? And has a lot to do with why Matt and his brother are so good in the wind!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would have suggested Wetherby. It drains very quickly even after the river has overflowed the flood barrier and put it 6' under. But the 18th is closed making a 500 yard walk back to the clubhouse.