Bucks & neighbouring counties course recommendations

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Hi everyone (y),

Looking for a couple of courses in Bucks / neighbouring counties to play this summer. Ideally no more than 45mins, or so from Beaconsfield. No accommodation needed and mid-handicap level, so nothing obscenely difficult!

Any recommendations greatly appreciated - we’re likely playing Fri PM / twilight, Saturday and possibly Sunday. Budget wise anything £100 or below a round or, which hopefully with the option of county card brings some good options into into play.

Thanks in advance :)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
If you fancy a treat, look at Huntercombe

Other options are Dunstable Downs, Ellesborough, Leighton Buzzard, Whipsnade is decent in the summer , leave well alone in winter.
Temple near Marlow.
Even closer to you are Burnham Beeches, and Lambourne Club
towards London are Sandy Lodge, Northwood

Loads of options

enjoy

D

Deleted member 15344

Huntercombe
Berkhampstead
Ashridge
Tadmarten Heath
Beaconsfield
Hadley Wood

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for all the kind responses - some brilliant looking courses in there and sounds like there are plenty to go at!

Beaconsfield was on the radar as was Denham, not sure if anybody has a view on that too?

D

Deleted member 23270

If you go to Huntercombe just be aware it is a 2 ball course!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If you go to Huntercombe just be aware it is a 2 ball course!
Still worth playing, as a nice course (I keep forgetting its name!) and plenty of nice scenery too. Red Kites were released nearby and are part of the club logo/badge and pretty common overhead! Great to watch even if the golf is poor!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
https://www.ashridgegolfclub.ltd.uk/

https://www.berkhamstedgolfclub.co.uk/

Also got the Shire, the Grove, Old Fold Manor and Sandy Lodge within your 45mins or so driving limit, all decent enough courses.
Much as I love the place, I wouldn't recommend The Shire just yet - it's a Summer course. On clay and while (as indication of ground condition) buggies have been allowed, this latest rain is likely to tip it back into sogginess. The runoff/seepage from Old Fold (across the road and higher up) certainly won't help either! The Grove will almost certainly be out of price range. Sandy Lodge is likely to be the driest in the area, but no idea re prices.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Much as I love the place, I wouldn't recommend The Shire just yet - it's a Summer course. On clay and while (as indication of ground condition) buggies have been allowed, this latest rain is likely to tip it back into sogginess. The runoff/seepage from Old Fold (across the road and higher up) certainly won't help either! The Grove will almost certainly be out of price range. Sandy Lodge is likely to be the driest in the area, but no idea re prices.

The OP was looking for courses to play in the summer.

Harry Putter

Visit site
Thanks for all the kind responses - some brilliant looking courses in there and sounds like there are plenty to go at!

Beaconsfield was on the radar as was Denham, not sure if anybody has a view on that too?

Beaconsfield is a lovely course, Denham too.. I'd recommend both. You've also got Burnham Beeches, Gerrards Cross, Flackwell Heath, Harewood Downs (quite hilly!).. all well established courses and usually in great condition.

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

I liked Denham when I played it, although it was in the winter, it was a decent enough track. Not played Beaconsfield, but did walk it whilst the boy was playing a junior comp there, also a decent track, some interesting elevation changes over the railway tracks if I remember correctly.