Winter golf course recommendations - Yorkshire

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

Along a similar theme to some current threads, I’m looking for Yorkshire course recommendations for December, so ideally good drainage etc. I’ve a friend visiting from Kent and keen to get a couple of rounds in!

I play at Woolley Park which is normally v good in the winter months, but, keen to try somewhere new too. Ganton is an obvious contender, but, a little far (and difficult! :ROFLMAO:), as hoping for somewhere within 45mins of Leeds. Hopefully between West / South Yorkshire, there will be some good options. Fulford, together with Hillsborough and Rotherham have been mentioned amongst others.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks :)(y)
In the area Selby will be the driest 18 hole Trad Club course with Ferrybridge the driest (& cheapest) in Yorkshire & arguably, the N of England. Built relatively recently but has excellent fairways & greens though only 9 holes with 18 tees...... it may be mandatory mats on fairways. Its built on 5ft of Magnesium Limestone & is like playing links. I played it in Feb this year in it's first meet with Leeds & District Union of Golf Clubs & everyone was staggered as all their courses, Selby & ours excepted, were closed due to being waterlogged. We saw not a puddle & came off with clean shoes & trousers. Truly impressive!! Though not easy to locate...... you need GPS & their post code as access is almost through the Power Station.

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
This is a shame, as never played Wetherby and quite handy to get to. Wonder if the 18th will be back open by December time? Will check their website.

I would have suggested Wetherby. It drains very quickly even after the river has overflowed the flood barrier and put it 6' under. But the 18th is closed making a 500 yard walk back to the clubhouse.

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Played Hallamshire over the summer - really enjoyed it, though agreed it's a tough course and the greens were like concrete (June). The Fitzpatrick exhibition (of sorts) in the clubhouse is a nice touch!

I lived in Sheffield and was a number here for a while. Course always in great condition and plays very well in the winter. First 3/4 holes our probably the toughest opening holes in the country, especially when the wind blows…. Which it does quite a bit!?? And has a lot to do with why Matt and his brother are so good in the wind!

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for these suggestions, I've fancied Bingley St Ives with the Billy Foster connection for a while. Will see what they've got to offer!

From memory Sandmoor and Bradford Golf Club were decent in winter. A bit further away Shipley and Bingley St Ives we’re usually playable when my course was a bog.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Huddersfield (Fixby) are on Winter green fee rates now as well, £30 after 11am, it’s not everyday of the week but I think it does include Sunday. I expect there are a few holes that get a bit wet but most of it should drain pretty well.

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Good shout - not played it for a few years now. Any view on Rotherham? Is on my list of courses to play and looks great, but, unaware how it fares in winter!

Huddersfield (Fixby) are on Winter green fee rates now as well, £30 after 11am, it’s not everyday of the week but I think it does include Sunday. I expect there are a few holes that get a bit wet but most of it should drain pretty well.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Good shout - not played it for a few years now. Any view on Rotherham? Is on my list of courses to play and looks great, but, unaware how it fares in winter!

I’ve never played Rotherham in the winter, couldn’t really comment, it is of course a great course through the summer.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some great suggestions. Bingley is great but from memory the first 5/6 holes may be wetter than the rest of course. Baildon is always open and generally dry with it being moorland.

I've played Moor Allerton in wet weather and it was soaking and I think over winter they use fairway mats. Selby is a great shout in winter.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Some great suggestions. Bingley is great but from memory the first 5/6 holes may be wetter than the rest of course. Baildon is always open and generally dry with it being moorland.

I've played Moor Allerton in wet weather and it was soaking and I think over winter they use fairway mats. Selby is a great shout in winter.

Yeah I'd imagine Bingley will be fairly good, although it's a great test of straight hitting and in the wind it's brutal. Take plenty of balls and hope you're lucky in the heather!

NearHull

Visit site
I played Selby yesterda. Confirmed with the Pro Shop that they don’t have temporary greens as they are unnecessary.
The course fairways are suffering a little but the greens were very good. Not sure what is happening with the bunkers, they may be in the middle of changing the sand but there was a distinct differences in the type of bunker sand. Some had normal soft sand others had a large gritty type of sand. I experienced both types and whilst they did play differently ( they would , wouldn’t they) they were in good condition.

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
This sounds very similar to my experience 7 weeks ago. I noticed the same with the strange gritty grey sand in some of the bunkers, like the 1st. Agreed on the greens, were very slick and true - generally found it a nice course. The halfway house was excellent, but, bizarrely they do not serve food in the main clubhouse on a Saturday - especially odd, since it was pretty busy.

I played Selby yesterda. Confirmed with the Pro Shop that they don’t have temporary greens as they are unnecessary.
The course fairways are suffering a little but the greens were very good. Not sure what is happening with the bunkers, they may be in the middle of changing the sand but there was a distinct differences in the type of bunker sand. Some had normal soft sand others had a large gritty type of sand. I experienced both types and whilst they did play differently ( they would , wouldn’t they) they were in good condition.

Barking_Mad

Visit site

They're renovating the bunkers apparently.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They're renovating the bunkers apparently.
Yeah, they're at the same stage as our place using the new 'angular' & twice as expensive sand. It doesn't blow away or wash-out as easily as the finer stuff. We really rate it as a very big improvement as we are on a pretty windy course.