Football away days and golf

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Leicester fixture is January.
Many courses won't be worth bothering with, if the weather has been wet, unless they are offering a very cheap guest rate and someone here is willing to sign you in.

County golf courses are "Leicestershire and Rutland" or "L&RGU".
Luffenham Heath is regarded as a fine course, but is much nearer Peterborough than Leicester. A very pleasant place, but not worth the extortionate green fee in my opinion.

Nearer the LCFC fixture, post an enquiry on Midlands Forum Link on Arrange A Game section to see who could host or join you or at least recommend a course that is playable and worth the money at that time of year.

Hope this has helped a bit.

Reactions: sjw

sjw

Visit site
How are your football, golfing trips going? Your team is certainly doing alright.
I've actually only done three :( but I have seen three wins! Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday and Southampton (all the S's were not deliberate). It's a great way to spend a weekend though. Hillsborough GC was my favourite; I realised how much I enjoyed it the other night, when I couldn't sleep so I lay there in bed and I could visualise every single hole in real detail, in order

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I've actually only done three :( but I have seen three wins! Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday and Southampton (all the S's were not deliberate). It's a great way to spend a weekend though. Hillsborough GC was my favourite; I realised how much I enjoyed it the other night, when I couldn't sleep so I lay there in bed and I could visualise every single hole in real detail, in order
I have always thought that this is a perfect way to value a course. Memorable over totally forgettable.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Strange that the two fixtures should be so close together, but makes it interesting all the same.
All the other teams hoping for two nil-nil draws I imagine.

Poo!
West Brom just equalised.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Haven't played my course since sometime in first half of December - it was front nine only open then.
Its been closed more often than open. Last two days they have opened 7 of the back nine as well. Must be many weeks since they did that.
That tells me that the other 16 are very boggy. Not inclined to do that in sub 5 degree temperatures.

Dry spell at the moment, but long-range forecast looks like lots more rain in the few days up to 22nd.
:(:(:(

Not sure about other courses - we will have to ask @Crow.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
We're open but as wet as I've seen it, if it was a members' club I'm sure it would have been closed.
Front 9 is good, 10, 13 and 14 are very bad.

sjw

Visit site
Well, I'm going to Leicester on the 22nd and I have the day off work. Would be nice to get up there early and play a round somewhere new, if conditions allow

sjw

Visit site
Would be interested in any information about potentially playable courses around the Leicester area, thanks :) How's the weather been? The forecast looks maybe dry on Monday PM

@Crow @Voyager EMH

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I haven't been on my course since Dec 16th. It was front nine only open. Should have been shut, but it was a Saturday and I think it was a commercial decision to get people spending money in the clubhouse. We've been open this week, but I haven't fancied venturing out in sub-zero temperatures.

From Saturday evening we have 40 hours of rain and 50mph winds forecast. I doubt we will be open on Monday. Even if we are, it won't be worth a greenfee.
The second green will likely look something like it did a few weeks ago.

2nd green.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My course is one of the better draining but even that suffered in the deluges we've had recently.
It's recovering now and the forecast is dry through to Monday, I'd be happy to give you a game, and @Voyager EMH plus anyone else who cares to join.

However, the earliest clear tee time is currently 12.36

sjw

Visit site
My course is one of the better draining but even that suffered in the deluges we've had recently.
It's recovering now and the forecast is dry through to Monday, I'd be happy to give you a game, and @Voyager EMH plus anyone else who cares to join.

However, the earliest clear tee time is currently 12.36
12.36 would be absolutely fine for me. If anything I'd prefer to play later, to leave less time for me to fill in an unfamiliar city, but daylight hours don't really allow for that!

So yeah, if you're happy to play I'm well up for that :)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
12.36 would be absolutely fine for me. If anything I'd prefer to play later, to leave less time for me to fill in an unfamiliar city, but daylight hours don't really allow for that!

So yeah, if you're happy to play I'm well up for that :)

Okay, I have to pay £22 up front so please confirm that you're definite.
I have to enter your name as well so if you can let me have that too please, by pm is fine if you prefer.