Football away days and golf

sjw

Visit site
Match ticket obtained and Travelodge booked! The game is on Sunday evening, so I'll be there Sunday and Monday. Hopefully that will mean a tee time is easier to get!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Sheffield I’d recommend Tankersley,Silkstone or Woolley park.
Hillsborough is suppose to be good,but more expensive than the ones I mentioned.

sjw

Visit site
Did you get to the game? Have to say I enjoyed the outcome immensely 😁
I did indeed and it was a great day out, thoroughly enjoyed! I did think I was going to have a heart attack in that extra time but honestly to go to Sunderland first game of the season, on Sky, and come away with three points while playing our decent brand of football for a large part of the game left everyone with a real smile on their faces.
Just as important, did he play at South Shields? 😀
And yes, I did play at South Shields! What a pretty little place. The guy working the shop came out to greet me by name which was nice (think I must have been the only solo tee time around that time). Par three start was a little unusual and I pulled my shot left, right up against a stone wall, so had to take a drop immediately. Started 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, which was interesting! Was quite happy with how I played the front nine. At the turn the wind really picked up and changed the game entirely - driver was basically off the cards as I (eventually) learned as the wind pulled two balls that started left OOB on the right! It meant that I had to try and play much lower, links-style golf which I'm just not used to. Scored much worse on the back nine, I think there was an 8 and a 9 on the card, but got it together for the last 3 holes. Par fours which I believe (don't have the scorecard to hand) I finished 5, 5, and then a nice par in front of the clubhouse - drive again pulled way right by the wind but then hit the green, great lag putt and tapped in for par. Shot 103 overall which considering the weather and an unknown course, I'm not too displeased with.

Pros: apart from OOB, it was very hard to lose a ball, which makes a change to my home course where they just vanish sometimes. Rough was short but thick which meant finding the ball was easy but getting out not so much!

Cons: the wind and my lack of ability to compensate for it. I imagine it's quite windy there a lot of the time, being right near the sea, but I doubt it can be like it was on Monday all the time, it was just relentless. The 14th is SI1 and it was completely head on, 450 yard par four, and I stood no chance of getting a par when I knew I couldn't make halfway with my iron off the tee. I think I made a 6 in the end.

A really enjoyable day out and I would play again if I was in the area!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@sjw pleased you enjoyed it. I've played there quite a few times with @Maninblack4612 , it's his home club. I've always been lucky in that it's never been too windy. Different place if it is, as is all links golf. I like the 18th in particular, 2nd shot being downhill is something I always like 😀.

It's a friendly place, good club, drains brilliantly. There is a get together in early September, see the arrange a game section, if you fancy another crack at it 👍.

Keep posting your rounds across the season, this is a fun thread that will be interesting across the year.

sjw

Visit site
One thing I forgot to mention is that there are a number of blind shots where I probably would have benefitted from playing with a member. I had GPS maps on my phone but they only helped so much. It's one thing not knowing where the green is and a whole other worry not knowing where the next tee box is! With the wind you just didn't know if you were putting people in danger or not lol

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I did indeed and it was a great day out, thoroughly enjoyed! I did think I was going to have a heart attack in that extra time but honestly to go to Sunderland first game of the season, on Sky, and come away with three points while playing our decent brand of football for a large part of the game left everyone with a real smile on their faces.

And yes, I did play at South Shields! What a pretty little place. The guy working the shop came out to greet me by name which was nice (think I must have been the only solo tee time around that time). Par three start was a little unusual and I pulled my shot left, right up against a stone wall, so had to take a drop immediately. Started 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, which was interesting! Was quite happy with how I played the front nine. At the turn the wind really picked up and changed the game entirely - driver was basically off the cards as I (eventually) learned as the wind pulled two balls that started left OOB on the right! It meant that I had to try and play much lower, links-style golf which I'm just not used to. Scored much worse on the back nine, I think there was an 8 and a 9 on the card, but got it together for the last 3 holes. Par fours which I believe (don't have the scorecard to hand) I finished 5, 5, and then a nice par in front of the clubhouse - drive again pulled way right by the wind but then hit the green, great lag putt and tapped in for par. Shot 103 overall which considering the weather and an unknown course, I'm not too displeased with.

Pros: apart from OOB, it was very hard to lose a ball, which makes a change to my home course where they just vanish sometimes. Rough was short but thick which meant finding the ball was easy but getting out not so much!

Cons: the wind and my lack of ability to compensate for it. I imagine it's quite windy there a lot of the time, being right near the sea, but I doubt it can be like it was on Monday all the time, it was just relentless. The 14th is SI1 and it was completely head on, 450 yard par four, and I stood no chance of getting a par when I knew I couldn't make halfway with my iron off the tee. I think I made a 6 in the end.

A really enjoyable day out and I would play again if I was in the area!
I played with a local in one of their opens once. His standard shot off the tee started out around fifty yards right, wickedly hooking its way back to the fairway, all the while no more than twenty feet high. It only carried about 150 yards then ran to around 230 ish. Perfect for South Shields.

I asked him what he did when he visited a tree lined parkland course, he replied that he never did.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played with a local in one of their opens once. His standard shot off the tee started out around fifty yards right, wickedly hooking its way back to the fairway, all the while no more than twenty feet high. It only carried about 150 yards then ran to around 230 ish. Perfect for South Shields.

I asked him what he did when he visited a tree lined parkland course, he replied that he never did.
I used to play on a links course with a guy, who to be fair had bad arthritis. He got very little loft, putted anything from 50yds and in. He played the odd away day and couldn't score a point. In the end he only played at his home course, it wasn't fun for him otherwise.

It must be a bit boring for these people but I can get where they are coming from

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
One thing I forgot to mention is that there are a number of blind shots where I probably would have benefitted from playing with a member. I had GPS maps on my phone but they only helped so much. It's one thing not knowing where the green is and a whole other worry not knowing where the next tee box is! With the wind you just didn't know if you were putting people in danger or not lol
Arrrgh just logged on to this thread. I would’ve joined you. Unlike you, I didn’t enjoy the match though. 🤬

sjw

Visit site
I'll be going to Sheffield Wednesday next Saturday, and am hoping, should I get the day booked off work, to travel up on Friday and play Hillsborough on the Friday afternoon (15th). Are there any members here who fancy a game?

sjw

Visit site
I'm also hoping to go to the Southampton game on the 19th, aiming to play golf on the 20th, so looking for recommendations there.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm also hoping to go to the Southampton game on the 19th, aiming to play golf on the 20th, so looking for recommendations there.

Depending on budget/getting on, Stoneham is likely to be your best option, alternatively across into the New Forest and play Brockenhurst Manor. Could drop down to the coast and play Hayling Island

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I'll be going to Sheffield Wednesday next Saturday, and am hoping, should I get the day booked off work, to travel up on Friday and play Hillsborough on the Friday afternoon (15th). Are there any members here who fancy a game?
I'm not a member but our paths were almost set to cross. We are going on our annual trip next week and initially we were going to Derbyshire. By coincidence on the trip back north next Friday we were scheduled to play Hillsborough which appears to be a really nice course.

Our trip is now to Lancashire and in the spirit of a football related theme our first course is Burnley. Obviously you can't play them in the league this season, but there is an excellent chance that you will next season. However, I wouldn't like to commit myself to stating which league it will be in, although I have a good idea ;)

sjw

Visit site
I am playing Hillsborough on Friday, and while I am going to the Southampton game, I'm now going with my brother, who lives in Surrey. We'll drive back to his after the game, and I'm planning on playing Ashford Manor on the Wednesday which is under a mile from him. I have managed to convince him to stop at Top Golf on the way down, as I've never been to one and the Surrey one is 20 minutes into the journey. To be fair, while he's not into golf at all, he didn't take much convincing, probably because I told him we can get a beer and some food :ROFLMAO: