Winter golf in the North West or Yorkshire

ainley87simon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone have any suggestions of good winter courses in the NW or Yorkshire we like to get together on the 27th for an away day, last year we went to Ganton which for the time of year was in incredible condition. We are thinking Formby this year (assuming that do it's heritage and the fact it's links it will be dryish and in good condition). Any other suggestions welcome that I can research and offer to the group.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are paying those prices I would suggest any of the big boys' links on the Lancashire coast or the Wirral. Alwoodley is the only one in Yorkshire.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you are paying those prices I would suggest any of the big boys' links on the Lancashire coast or the Wirral. Alwoodley is the only one in Yorkshire.
Agree with above, basically spoilt for choice. Consider St Annes Old Links. You could alway spend the night in Blackpool!!!

Bobthesock

Visit site
What????
Whilst the first 3 holes are on a clay/sand mix, the rest is sand......even more so following the recent storms when half the beach blew onto the 5th fairway :LOL:
It's probably the only true links on the Fylde coast!!!!
Only played it once and wasn't impressed. Can't be compared with the true links courses of Scotland and Southport.
I'd say the first few holes at Knott end are far more linksy than Fleetwood.
Just my honest opinion of course

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Only played it once and wasn't impressed. Can't be compared with the true links courses of Scotland and Southport.
I'd say the first few holes at Knott end are far more linksy than Fleetwood.
Just my honest opinion of course
Surely a links course is just one that is adjacent to the sea....hence the name. I'm not going to opine on whether its better or worse than any others but it is definitely a links course. Can't be any closer to the sea!!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never suggested it was. OP asked about good winter courses in the region for an away day. Selby fits the brief.
Sorry, not intending to be rude but the OP seemed to be prepared to pay top whack.
But certainly Selby is often the only course where they are not playing preferred lies or on mats in the wettest part of the winter. I usually manage a couple of rounds there after xmas.

D

Deleted member 23270

It's very wet and boggy at this time of year except the holes at the far end of the course.
I played them on consecutive winter days a few years ago during a wet spell and they both held up quite well.