Winter golf in the North West or Yorkshire

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Fleetwood is definitely a links course, far more so than Knott End which was mentioned above, and I'm a member at the latter!

Knott End is a weird one. On the estuary and with most holes without trees so linksy in that regard but the soil definitely isn't sand based. However, although it retains surface water, it rarely gets muddy, it just drains away.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Fleetwood is definitely a links course, far more so than Knott End which was mentioned above, and I'm a member at the latter!

Knott End is a weird one. On the estuary and with most holes without trees so linksy in that regard but the soil definitely isn't sand based. However, although it retains surface water, it rarely gets muddy, it just drains away.

Yes, I was a bit confused by the comment about Knott End. Haven't played it but have stood looking up the first hole, which I seem to recall is an uphill tree lined drive, more parkland than links, although I know some holes are close to the sea (well estuary).

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site

I've played Fleetwood 3 or 4 times and Knott End more than that (our club has a Winter away day there most years in March because it is mostly dry - fog is the bigger enemy) and I agree totally with this.

Last edited:

The Lion

Visit site
Only played it once and wasn't impressed. Can't be compared with the true links courses of Scotland and Southport.
I'd say the first few holes at Knott end are far more linksy than Fleetwood.
Just my honest opinion of course

You’re cheerful ?

It’s definitely links. Sandy soil underfoot all the way, with softer soils in the early holes.

As for the course, it’s an enjoyable romp over land which appears flat but actually has some good movement.

Sounds like you’re hard to please!

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Baildon will be fully open, no mats and no temps. Obviously not in the same league at some of the clubs mentioned but thought I'd give it a mention.

Visit site
Baildon will be fully open, no mats and no temps. Obviously not in the same league at some of the clubs mentioned but thought I'd give it a mention.

I find it most strange that Baildon has a slope rating of (I think) 109. If it's windy there, the slope should be about 130!
Hollins Hall never uses mats or temporary greens, a sterner test I would say.

ainley87simon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So it proved very difficult to get on any where on west coast sadly, so we have ended up at Lindrick, which is neither in the North West nor links so it's a good start. Though it does have a decent reputation of being a could course, and is normally in decent nick in the winter apparently.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So it proved very difficult to get on any where on west coast sadly, so we have ended up at Lindrick, which is neither in the North West nor links so it's a good start. Though it does have a decent reputation of being a could course, and is normally in decent nick in the winter apparently.
Good course. On the rota for Yorkshire Amateur Championship.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good course. On the rota for Yorkshire Amateur Championship.
It’s a marmite course, he’ll either love it or hate it.
Played it once and won’t be rushing back.

I played Headingley on Thursday, a few damp spots but otherwise is in decent condition for the time of year. Amazingly, best greens I’ve played all year. Rapid and true for the time of year.

D

Deleted member 21445

The club where I grew up and was a member for 25+ years is excellent for arranging and looking after your party.

Southport & Ainsdale GC

There is now a great room in the clubhouse didcated to the 1933 & 1937 Ryder Cups, well worth the visit, I was there last week

Attachments

• Collage 2021-12-26 18_24_30.jpg
    Collage 2021-12-26 18_24_30.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator: