Recommendations for Algarve courses please

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, we are looking at a package at the Amendoeira resort, playing the oceanico Faldo and O'Connor Courses along with either Old Course or Millennium on the last day, for just over 300euro inc breakfast and 1 dinner.

Any views on the Faldo and O'Connor courses?

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, we are looking at a package at the Amendoeira resort, playing the oceanico Faldo and O'Connor Courses along with either Old Course or Millennium on the last day, for just over 300euro inc breakfast and 1 dinner.

I did a review of both courses on here in March 2012, you should be able to find them with the search function

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Yes,both a re very nice indeed and always in superb nick.The tees looked like what many UK courses greens are! Each time I have played them and visited the place has been dead which for a golfer is good. Fire on and add the Old and you will enjoy it hugely.:thup:

MC72

Assistant Pro
Visit site

The Old Course would be a great way to finish. I would add to what others have said (about the courses being really busy) by saying that anytime I've been in Portugal I've tee'd off before 9am and haven't had problems being held up during the course of a round. Finishing an early round,ie around 1230-1300, it always seemed to me that people starting a bit later were going to be on the course for quite a time. Something worth bearing in mind.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

We played them both three years ago, and I have to say that whilst they were both very good, neither are courses I would rush back to. I must say in their defence that we were staying over in Tavira, so it was a bit of a trek west to get to the courses, and that is perhaps one of the main reasons we haven't been back. If staying at Vilamoura I may be more tempted.

I recall both being very well maintained, and the Faldo in particular is laid out on an enormous plot of land. Perhaps my biggest criticism of the Faldo is the fact that it is a bit too tricked up for my liking. I'm all for strategy, but this course (much like Elea in Cyprus, another Faldo design) places rather too much emphasis on being able to plot your way round as opposed to actually hitting shots. In that respect I found it a little frustrating.

Both good courses, but in comparison to others on offer a little forgettable in my opinion.

Billysboots

Visit site
Finishing an early round,ie around 1230-1300, it always seemed to me that people starting a bit later were going to be on the course for quite a time. Something worth bearing in mind.

Not something which is likely to be an issue in September, but when we visit in February we have had The Old book us in at 2pm. We cancelled, because there was no way on earth given the numbers they cram on there and the slow afternoon rounds which result, that we would have had enough available daylight.

They would have been quite happy to take our money, though.

Billysboots

Visit site
We've not long come back from the Algarve, and during our trip we played San Lorenzo for the first time. It's a great layout, with some memorable holes, but quite aside from the condition of the course, which was less than impressive, the customer service was absolutely appalling.

For 120 Euros per person we were met by grumpy shop staff, a starter who couldn't even be bothered to emerge from his hut to tell us anything about the course, and less than friendly bar staff. For that sort of money I expect far better, and it has been firmly crossed off our list of must plays.

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been going to the Algarve 3 or 4 times a year for the last 15 years ranging from family holidays and stag do's. I think the course to avoid is Laguna all others are great value for me obviously the more ou pay the better it is. However the best deal I had was staying a week on the penina timeshare apartments which cost £700 for 4 people and included 27 holes of golf each day including 18 holes on the championship course. Google penina apartments for further details. If looking for 3 rounds in Vilamoura I would plump for Old Course, Millenium and Vila Sol. If you want info on restuarants etc give me a shout

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
We played them both three years ago, and I have to say that whilst they were both very good, neither are courses I would rush back to. I must say in their defence that we were staying over in Tavira, so it was a bit of a trek west to get to the courses, and that is perhaps one of the main reasons we haven't been back. If staying at Vilamoura I may be more tempted.

I recall both being very well maintained, and the Faldo in particular is laid out on an enormous plot of land. Perhaps my biggest criticism of the Faldo is the fact that it is a bit too tricked up for my liking. I'm all for strategy, but this course (much like Elea in Cyprus, another Faldo design) places rather too much emphasis on being able to plot your way round as opposed to actually hitting shots. In that respect I found it a little frustrating.

Both good courses, but in comparison to others on offer a little forgettable in my opinion.

Yep the Faldo course you defo have to play a couple of times to enjoy

Billysboots

Visit site
I've been going to the Algarve 3 or 4 times a year for the last 15 years ranging from family holidays and stag do's. I think the course to avoid is Laguna all others are great value for me obviously the more ou pay the better it is. However the best deal I had was staying a week on the penina timeshare apartments which cost £700 for 4 people and included 27 holes of golf each day including 18 holes on the championship course. Google penina apartments for further details. If looking for 3 rounds in Vilamoura I would plump for Old Course, Millenium and Vila Sol. If you want info on restuarants etc give me a shout

Penina is nice enough, but very English. It seems a shame to go to the Algarve and then play what is a very English parkland style layout.

As for restaurants, Cataplana in Vilamoura is excellent.

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
A slightly contradictory observation, Mark!

I've played all three, and am off to play Laranjal for the third time next month. It is a great layout, in immaculate condition, and whilst I agree there are cheaper courses, if you were to play a course as good as Laranjal in the UK I doubt you would see much change out of £150.

My point is if you are on a budget a minimum of £70 per round over 5 rounds soon racks up - I loved Laranjal and QDL North and South but I was paying residents rates. I wouldn't be paying £150 a round daily on a golf holiday either in the UK or Abroad -maybe once a week but those sort of fees are out of the reach of most golfers IMO

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm planning a trip to Portugal in September on behalf of a small society I play in. We have 12 confirmed, will probably rise to 16 before we book.

We're thinking of staying in Vilamoura and I'm looking for recommendations for which 3 golf courses we should play.

Have also looked at a package at Penina resort, staying onsite with 3x Championship course, although personally I would prefer to play 3 different course.

I've been a couple of times and have played (and would like to avoid the following):

Penha Longa
Vale de Lobo
Estoril
Old Course
Victoria
Millenium

Will be booking through either GolfBreaks.com or YourGolfTravel, although happy to look at other options if anyone has had dealings with other agents.

Budget wise we need to avoid the really top end courses as some of the group are more 'fiscally challenged' than others, however I'd like, if possible, to play decent standard courses in good condition.

All recommendations gratefully received, also open to other ideas, suggestions etc.

Thanks in advance

HI , I be out there for a week end of September , there will be 8 of us , biggest group I took out there was 24 , I met a couple on my 1st trip out there and we have become friends since and I always use them , Links golf or Aim4Golf these days , never bothered elsewhere as they looked after my groups and price wise very good , I have played most of the courses over there . so where to stay , Golf Motel , its near the old Course , off the roundabout going up to the old course and its 1st left , great for golfers , buffet breakfast and book 2 sharing a 1 bed apartment , there is a bed in the lounge and further down is the bedroom , both areas have a balcony for smokers to go out for a puff , also if one snores then its not a problem or if one likes late nights he can sleep in the lounge leaving the bedroom to the early bird , ..........now to your golf , 2 options , the Faldo & O Connor courses , 3 rounds up there , transport is free from the hotel and you can keep your clubs at the course , its safe , buggies are included , option 2 is a Quinta Da lago Deal , Play Quinta South , Quinta North and Laranjal , a new course but what a course , you get a buggy on the north and you can walk laranjal as its flattish , my mate can arrange your transport each day , if they ask , just say you was advised by a guy from Bournemouth , I don't get anything other then knowing you be looked after , good luck with your choice , one last thing , you need Taxis to get to Town from the golf motel but its a fiver or you can choose to stay in Town , ask them for options , speak to Ronny , she sort it for you .....................EYG Ps a cheap option will be Laguna, Pinhal and Vila Sol , again transport is free from the Golf Motel

Last edited:

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got the phonecall I'd been waiting for (actually I'd been trying to call him but only have the clubhouse number and they've been closed all year!!) we're booked to play 5 rounds at Quinta do Laga, 2 North 2 South and Laranjal, first full week in October so fly out 5th come back 11th, positively bouncing already it's going to be a long 7 months!

Wedgey

Club Champion
Visit site
There's 4 of us going in June (only two golfing). Staying at vale de milho in a villa on a 9 hole course (where two of us get unlimited free use)

We've also booked 3 rounds at Gramacho and 3 rounds at vale de Pinta for 600 euros (between two of us) with a buggy thrown in all rounds

granted, Gramacho and Pinta do not have the glamour of vilamoura but they are two really nice courses and a bargain

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My 5 Penneth.

As others have said Quinta North & South both enjoyable, and we got a deal.
Played the ones you don't want so will say nowt.
Pinherios Altos was er Hilly but pleasant.

The place that will never see the contents of my wallet ever again is Millenium I may have been on a bad day, but it felt like I had just stepped onto the conveyor belt of the Golf Factory. Take your money send you on your way then get hassled by Marshalls chasing you off their land when you are going as fast as the 5-6 groups you are right up the chuff of will allow, by hole 11 we just wanted to get the game over and done with and be on our way back "home".