Will Scorecards For Comps Soon Be Redundant?

sunshine

Visit site
That link also shows how many over the age of 55 don’t use a smart phone - the average age of the club golfer is over 55 - it’s easy to do the maths

We have multiple members who just don’t own mobile phones and some don’t have smart phones

They have never had a GPS in their life and an electric trolley that’s about 10 years old isn’t that high tech.

They are just a different generation whose life didn’t revolve around mobile phones etc - as I said earlier I know at least three who don’t even have the internet at home - just a plain old landline

They aren’t “trying to be awkward” - they just don’t want a life full of electronic gadgets - and the need for one shouldn’t ever rule a golf club

I was agreeing with you that it's too early to make electronic mandatory. Still quite a few of the older generation not ready to accept technology.

However, society is moving forward and getting to the point where electronic devices are essential. Things change. You can't step on a bus and buy a bus ticket any more. Most golf clubs have a cashless bar and members use their club card. Some people will use technology when it suits them but resist it when it requires a bit of change.

Asking someone to spend a couple of minutes entering a score online does not equate to "a life full of electronic gadgets". I'm sure these people are generally capable of operating the remote control on their tv, the air-con in their car, etc.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Why is this a major problem?

If you are winning a football match 2-0 with 5 minutes to go, you can play conservative to see out time to win. In pretty much every sport you know what the score is. In professional golf there are scoreboards all over the course. In match play you know the score. I cannot fathom why knowing the score is a problem.
Why should you be able to see how others are going on in a golf comp. to quote a football match between two teams as an example ? professional golf is a bit different me finks. I know for a fact we finish golf for 1.30am and people do not go in comps
“ coz 42 points is winning it“.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
That link also shows how many over the age of 55 don’t use a smart phone - the average age of the club golfer is over 55 - it’s easy to do the maths

We have multiple members who just don’t own mobile phones and some don’t have smart phones

They have never had a GPS in their life and an electric trolley that’s about 10 years old isn’t that high tech.

They are just a different generation whose life didn’t revolve around mobile phones etc - as I said earlier I know at least three who don’t even have the internet at home - just a plain old landline

They aren’t “trying to be awkward” - they just don’t want a life full of electronic gadgets - and the need for one shouldn’t ever rule a golf club
Have to say our club is total opposite, you cant get them off their smart phones ?? and all have latest GPS gizmos but you're right there should be provisions for all members even the non tech savvy

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At my age and with my eyesight I would always want a score card for on the course scoring. I can see my own writing without the need for reading glasses the same is not true of a phone app.

I have a smart phone and use it to transfer the scores from my card to the club computer sometimes and other times I use the PSI screen. The IG app can take quite bit of getting used to and it would certainly slow up the round for a lot of players if they had to do in play scoring. W

What happens if you have forgotten to charge your phone.

My phone case contains things I would not want exposed to the rain.

sunshine

Visit site
Why should you be able to see how others are going on in a golf comp. to quote a football match between two teams as an example ? professional golf is a bit different me finks. I know for a fact we finish golf for 1.30am and people do not go in comps

I'm struggling to understand your reply. Sorry.

The only bit I can partially understand is your first sentence: "Why should you be able to see how others are going on in a golf comp to quote a football match between two teams as an example ." That's not an answer or a reason though. If it is a question, then I'll answer it: because in every sport I can think of, competitors know their opponents score. It's a fundamental part of competing.

Imagine if you were watching the long jump, but the officials kept the measured jumps secret so nobody knew who was winning until the competition had finished. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

Tashyboy

Visit site
I'm struggling to understand your reply. Sorry.

The only bit I can partially understand is your first sentence: "Why should you be able to see how others are going on in a golf comp to quote a football match between two teams as an example ." That's not an answer or a reason though. If it is a question, then I'll answer it: because in every sport I can think of, competitors know their opponents score. It's a fundamental part of competing.

Imagine if you were watching the long jump, but the officials kept the measured jumps secret so nobody knew who was winning until the competition had finished. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

Before we entered scores on our phones, we entered our scores on a card and put them in a box. How did you know who was winning. For a couple of years, scores were entered on cards. Then on a computer at our clubhouse. If you wanted to know who was winning when you turned up at the course you have to look on the club computer. yet you compare it to the long jump ?

You talk about the older generation not being able to accept technology. On the basis of what? What evidence rather than opinion. How do you think they book a tee time on IG. Laptops, iPhones, computers. The same as everyone else. Maybe just maybe they are an elderly generation that do not like to see phones on the golf course. But now everyone has to have one.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
That's some round!

sunshine

Visit site
Before we entered scores on our phones, we entered our scores on a card and put them in a box. How did you know who was winning. For a couple of years, scores were entered on cards. Then on a computer at our clubhouse. If you wanted to know who was winning when you turned up at the course you have to look on the club computer. yet you compare it to the long jump ?

So what you are saying is that you prefer a system which doesn't allow you to see scores, because that was all that was available in the olden days. You can't see that this situation is different from every other sport I can think of.

Your only argument is that use of technology is bad because it provides the opportunity to do something that couldn't be done in the past. Life must be really hard for you without useful inventions like the wheel.

D

Deleted member 15344

We have had live leaderboard for the past two years - not once had someone pulled out because of the scores they have seen on the leaderboard - why would someone pull out if they saw the scores in ? Are they only interested in winning the comp

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have had live leaderboard for the past two years - not once had someone pulled out because of the scores they have seen on the leaderboard - why would someone pull out if they saw the scores in ? Are they only interested in winning the comp

We have been asked by the comps committee to delay the LB function for a couple of hours but I cant see it ever affecting entries.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
So what you are saying is that you prefer a system which doesn't allow you to see scores, because that was all that was available in the olden days. You can't see that this situation is different from every other sport I can think of.

Your only argument is that use of technology is bad because it provides the opportunity to do something that couldn't be done in the past. Life must be really hard for you without useful inventions like the wheel.

That's how I read it. Surely there will be a point where pencils and paper are not required for scoring. Covid has meant no swapping of cards, or signatures, just confirmation between players of scores.

I played in a charity day shotgun (pre-covid) where they asked you to key your score on an App after each hole and there were live leaderboards around the course.

I also played last week without a tie and tweed jacket! :ROFLMAO:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
That's how I read it. Surely there will be a point where pencils and paper are not required for scoring. Covid has meant no swapping of cards, or signatures, just confirmation between players of scores.

I played in a charity day shotgun (pre-covid) where they asked you to key your score on an App after each hole and there were live leaderboards around the course.

I also played last week without a tie and tweed jacket! :ROFLMAO:

I do love a traditionalist.
Especially those who stick to only using the most traditional of golfing equipment. Such as, an electric trolley, gps watch and a bag full of exotic metals and composites.

sunshine

Visit site

Exactly. It seems crazy that people would turn around and go home because they have seen a good score on the leaderboard.

peld

Visit site
i wont be using a scorecard again after a recent fiasco:

On the Saturday, I played in the club stableford. Course handicap was 15, scored 38 pts. Looking like i won our whatsapp £10 sweep ahead of a guy with 37pts, Used a normal paper scorecard
On Sunday, played a bounce game with a mate and logged it on the WHS app - played very very well.
On Monday morning, WHS app updates my hcp to give a course handicap of 13. (it changed materially as I only have about a dozen or counting scores so taking the best 3 or 4 rather than 8).

It takes the club until Wednesday to publish the Stableford results, but shows me with a 13hcp and therefore only 36pts. Lots of arguments about the sweep ensue. End up giving it all to charity.
Pester the club every day to look at it (club is a farce at the moment) but basically say they cant make any edits because its all on the WHS database.

Utter joke, so ill be using the IG app for scorecards from now on to prevent the above.

AliMc

Visit site
Exactly. It seems crazy that people would turn around and go home because they have seen a good score on the leaderboard.
We have had this for a few years too, I've been playing most of the very few medals i play in late afternoon, this has saved me a few quid as I can see what gross & net scores are already in and haven't entered the sweeps as I know I've no chance of winning anything so just pay my entry fee and 2's sweep

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

On the Saturday, I played in the club stableford. Course handicap was 15, scored 38 pts. Looking like i won our whatsapp £10 sweep ahead of a guy with 37pts, Used a normal paper scorecard
On Sunday, played a bounce game with a mate and logged it on the WHS app - played very very well.
On Monday morning, WHS app updates my hcp to give a course handicap of 13. (it changed materially as I only have about a dozen or counting scores so taking the best 3 or 4 rather than 8).

If I understand you correctly, it applied a handicap from a couple of days after the comp because that's when the club close out the comp? That is daft

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site

It takes the club until Wednesday to publish the Stableford results, but shows me with a 13hcp and therefore only 36pts. Lots of arguments about the sweep ensue. End up giving it all to charity.
Pester the club every day to look at it (club is a farce at the moment) but basically say they cant make any edits because its all on the WHS database.

Utter joke, so ill be using the IG app for scorecards from now on to prevent the above.

So, if I have this right, you don't enter your scorecards in VIA PSI or smartphone app on the day? That's nuts if so!

Tashyboy

Visit site

No it’s not the only reason ,but seeing as your unable to accept that someone else may have a different opinion without chucking out personal insults al refrain from trying to discuss with you.

This is why I won’t discuss it with you. I said people have not entered competitions because they know what the winning scores are. Where did I say people have turned around and gone home. Your untruths lead to the forum troll liking your posts.

sunshine

Visit site
No it’s not the only reason ,but seeing as your unable to accept that someone else may have a different opinion without chucking out personal insults al refrain from trying to discuss with you.

This is why I won’t discuss it with you. I said people have not entered competitions because they know what the winning scores are. Where did I say people have turned around and gone home. Your untruths lead to the forum troll liking your posts.

You've lost me. Who is the forum troll? Is it IanM or Davidy233?

I can't see where I've dished out any personal insults, but if I've offended you then I apologise.