Will Scorecards For Comps Soon Be Redundant?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing I would add is that in the middle of winter with nearly frozen hands there is no way I would want to have to start messing around with a mobile phone. Off with mitts play the shot and back on with the mitts as fast as possible.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I asked England Golf about scorecards as we were considering a spring clean post lockdown - here is their reply:

Yes you are required to keep a copy of scorecards (Digital or Paper Copies) for the last season (1st Jan to 31 Dec) and current season.

Regards, Carol Price

So assuming the major ISVs keep a full record of the score this confirms you don't need scorecards. Unfortunately the current state of Club V1 doesn't store all the details for General Play rounds so we will have to keep them in paper form.

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
I am the comp sec at our club and after each comp I count the returned cards see if they are signed etc etc.

I think that this could be done electronically, with electronic signatures, saving the need for players to input their score on the main terminal and comp secs the time in counting cards and time in finding out who hasn't returned a card.

Would this method be allowed under the current CONGU rules, and if so has any clubs used this method or thinking about it?
Interesting issue occurred in our Wed Stableford at my club this week. I dashed to the tee swapped score cards with my playing partner (who wasn't in the Comp), declared that I was in the Comp & proceeded to play. Halfway round in a hailstorm we hid in the Halfway House where my playing partner told me I had 17 points on the front nine. I hadn't looked at my phone since leaving the car park so looked to see if I'd actually booked in on HDID. I hadn't!
My partner said it wouldn't matter as I declared entry on the 1st Tee & he had scored my round accordingly.
I received a snooty email from the Club Captain with a cc to the Secretary & Vice-Captain admonishing me for failing to log-in before my round, with the inference I was cheating in doing so. I explained the above to them & scanned my signed card (attached) only for them to DQ me from the Comp & delete my round for handicap purposes!

Beware, the online Police are after us...:unsure:

Attachments

• Wed Stableford Card - 050521.pdf
    458.5 KB · Views: 16

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe sometime in the future a device designed to do one job (golf scorecard) will be a lot cheaper than a multifunction smartphone and very cheap when about 200 are bought for a golf club in one go.
That is assuming most do not or will not have a smartphone. I can't see a decline in smartphones, quite the opposite. I suspect 95% of groups will have at least one member in the group with a smartphone. Why buy devices for those who already have and will continue to have phones? The stragglers can simply tap away on a club device when they get back in the clubhouse.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
That is assuming most do not or will not have a smartphone. I can't see a decline in smartphones, quite the opposite. I suspect 95% of groups will have at least one member in the group with a smartphone. Why buy devices for those who already have and will continue to have phones? The stragglers can simply tap away on a club device when they get back in the clubhouse.
From about 1977 onwards a lot of people had electronic calculators on their desk in their briefcase etc. Don't see much of them now. Devices have moved on. Smartphones could be a thing of the past in 20 years, in a similar way, replaced by something or things that are quite different and superior, we just won't know until it happens. Scores on a card, entered electronically at end of round - small changes to this are just that -small changes. Big changes are in the future and we can only speculate, after all.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From about 1977 onwards a lot of people had electronic calculators on their desk in their briefcase etc. Don't see much of them now. Devices have moved on. Smartphones could be a thing of the past in 20 years, in a similar way, replaced by something or things that are quite different and superior, we just won't know until it happens. Scores on a card, entered electronically at end of round - small changes to this are just that -small changes. Big changes are in the future and we can only speculate, after all.

In 20 years time I wont have to worry about it:ROFLMAO:

Maybe there will have self driving golf balls by then. Toss a dice, oops sorry press a button on your device, and it tells the golf ball where to go based upon a random choice.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
In 20 years time I wont have to worry about it:ROFLMAO:

Maybe there will have self driving golf balls by then. Toss a dice, oops sorry press a button on your device, and it tells the golf ball where to go based upon a random choice.
...and if I still had my Etch-a-Sketch from when I was a boy, I could use that every round instead of so many cards.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Tablet at the back of every green. As you walk off, it knows it's you from your retina scan, you tell it how many shots you have taken. Anything over net double, it laughs at you. If appropriate, it tells you to get a "blankety blank" move on!! On the 18th it tells you how you did and updates the newly reinstated CONGU Handicap System. WHS of course was abandoned following the PCC/Course Rating riots of 2026.

It's the future. You heard it here first.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I asked England Golf about scorecards as we were considering a spring clean post lockdown - here is their reply:

Yes you are required to keep a copy of scorecards (Digital or Paper Copies) for the last season (1st Jan to 31 Dec) and current season.

Regards, Carol Price

So assuming the major ISVs keep a full record of the score this confirms you don't need scorecards. Unfortunately the current state of Club V1 doesn't store all the details for General Play rounds so we will have to keep them in paper form.
The WHS does though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The WHS does though.
My club doesn’t require a physical card to be submitted to support any score entered by the player onto our system - though it may require them for General Play rounds...

However i have a feeling not as when I have asked about the need for a physical card to be submitted no caveat was added along the lines of ‘...except for a GP round when a card has to be submitted‘.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It is interesting the comments being made about a live leaderboard. I once helped give out cards and then take them in for my club Open, 4BBB. I was told not to tell anyone collecting their card the current leading score. Apparently there were some players in the area who would book very late tee times and who would often come in a point or 2 ahead of the leader at the time. Suspiciously consistent at it...........:unsure:. It's a shame as a live leaderboard gives a professional aspect to a comp.

I totally agree, But be careful how you word that. I said exactly the same. But then had my words twisted in the sense that rather than some folk thought sod it i cant win. Al put me clubs back in the car and drive home.
I don’t mind having a natter with you LT coz it will be educational. But some folks want to do well in a comp to lower there handicap. And you can put me in that bracket. Some want to clean up.
Outta interest. And I don’t know the answer but I will ask at the course on Tuesday. But since the Covid return, we have been putting our scores on IG. So someone does not have to handle the cards. I wonder if it will be a permanent thing. Hmmmm.