Will Scorecards For Comps Soon Be Redundant?

D

Deleted member 15344

You've lost me. Who is the forum troll? Is it IanM or Davidy233?

I can't see where I've dished out any personal insults, but if I've offended you then I apologise.

He is talking about me - he didn’t like being challenged on a number of subjects so I think I’m on ignore but that doesn’t stop him posting derogatory comments about posters

Last edited by a moderator:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Wow, what a great thread, really interesting views and opinions. Written cards and scores entered on electronic devices. Both are useful in their own way. When I was gainfully employed, not so long ago, we used to refer to this type of thing as "hard copy" and "soft copy". I think I will still be using printed cards until the year that the government ceases to produce printed legislation for the monarch to sign. If it happens sooner, I'm sure I will adapt.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have had live leaderboard for the past two years - not once had someone pulled out because of the scores they have seen on the leaderboard - why would someone pull out if they saw the scores in ? Are they only interested in winning the comp

I have seen it happen in our club champs for the second round.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i wont be using a scorecard again after a recent fiasco:

On the Saturday, I played in the club stableford. Course handicap was 15, scored 38 pts. Looking like i won our whatsapp £10 sweep ahead of a guy with 37pts, Used a normal paper scorecard
On Sunday, played a bounce game with a mate and logged it on the WHS app - played very very well.
On Monday morning, WHS app updates my hcp to give a course handicap of 13. (it changed materially as I only have about a dozen or counting scores so taking the best 3 or 4 rather than 8).

It takes the club until Wednesday to publish the Stableford results, but shows me with a 13hcp and therefore only 36pts. Lots of arguments about the sweep ensue. End up giving it all to charity.
Pester the club every day to look at it (club is a farce at the moment) but basically say they cant make any edits because its all on the WHS database.

Utter joke, so ill be using the IG app for scorecards from now on to prevent the above.

The club should be applying your handicap as it was on the day of the competition not the day of processing the 'cards'. Take it up with whoever is responsible . The ISV system has a button 'amend handicap for this round/competition only' or similar and the person processing the scores needs to do this.

AS you are aware if you use any app or PSI your handicap will amend the next day automatically. So always using the App will not prevent the same situation arising.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have seen it happen in our club champs for the second round.

Do you mean people have played the first round - seen the scores and then not bothered playing the second round ?

We used to have that until we gave comp bans for people that didn’t play the second round without good enough reason if they made the cut

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you mean people have played the first round - seen the scores and then not bothered playing the second round ?

We used to have that until we gave comp bans for people that didn’t play the second round without good enough reason if they made the cut

Yes. We had one comp in particular where the rounds were not played the same day in the handicap comp, somebody (who was newly handicapped)* had returned a ridiculously low score and it put a few off playing the second round.

* There were a lot of comments about his handicap and we undertook a thorough investigation in to it because several players had insinuated he had played for years and had held a h/cap previously but had not told us of it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is interesting the comments being made about a live leaderboard. I once helped give out cards and then take them in for my club Open, 4BBB. I was told not to tell anyone collecting their card the current leading score. Apparently there were some players in the area who would book very late tee times and who would often come in a point or 2 ahead of the leader at the time. Suspiciously consistent at it...........:unsure:. It's a shame as a live leaderboard gives a professional aspect to a comp.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is interesting the comments being made about a live leaderboard. I once helped give out cards and then take them in for my club Open, 4BBB. I was told not to tell anyone collecting their card the current leading score. Apparently there were some players in the area who would book very late tee times and who would often come in a point or 2 ahead of the leader at the time. Suspiciously consistent at it...........:unsure:. It's a shame as a live leaderboard gives a professional aspect to a comp.

I'm sat here trying to think of a way round this, but can't. Real shame. A live leaderboard in comps would be great. They used to do this at my last place using HOWDIDIDO, but those playing in an afternoon would check what was winning and if it was a good score, would withdraw from the comp and just have a knock amongst themselves

peld

Visit site
The club should be applying your handicap as it was on the day of the competition not the day of processing the 'cards'. Take it up with whoever is responsible . The ISV system has a button 'amend handicap for this round/competition only' or similar and the person processing the scores needs to do this.

AS you are aware if you use any app or PSI your handicap will amend the next day automatically. So always using the App will not prevent the same situation arising.
Exactly.
Club acknowledged the issue but done Sweet FA to resolve it. They said they cant just amend it. (FYI for background, our proper secretary left at the start of lockdown last year, and since then the scoring and hcps has done been done on the side of other peoples desks - very unprofessional).
As I said ill always be using the IG app for live scoring now to prevent such cock ups

peld

Visit site
So, if I have this right, you don't enter your scorecards in VIA PSI or smartphone app on the day? That's nuts if so!
We have the option to do either. App was brought in last year due to COVID. TBH I always like doing it the old way, as it is a faff on the phone as it keeps closing the app. But what ill think ill do tomorrow is start scoring on my phone, but then mark my card, then enter the score at the end.

Sorry i would say the PSI has been off through COVID - it could be back open this weekend given the hotels & gym reopened

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm sat here trying to think of a way round this, but can't. Real shame. A live leaderboard in comps would be great. They used to do this at my last place using HOWDIDIDO, but those playing in an afternoon would check what was winning and if it was a good score, would withdraw from the comp and just have a knock amongst themselves
These sound like the worst type of golfers, I think I might start entering my net scores as I go round and correct them in the club house later. See how many withdraw or crumble under the pressure.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My primary reason for entering comps was to get a handicap cut, prizes were just a bonus. Certainly wouldn't put me off if a live scoreboard showed someone ten under handicap. I'd just be thinking conditions must be good out there, but I guess we all have our different motivations. Regarding cards maybe we will all eventually carry an electronic scorepad around with us. There's an idea for Dragon's Den.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My primary reason for entering comps was to get a handicap cut, prizes were just a bonus. Certainly wouldn't put me off if a live scoreboard showed someone ten under handicap. I'd just be thinking conditions must be good out there, but I guess we all have our different motivations. Regarding cards maybe we will all eventually carry an electronic scorepad around with us. There's an idea for Dragon's Den.
Surely an app on a phone fills that criteria easier and cheaper than a bespoke product? It is pretty much already here by all accounts (my club wont allow the EG app for scoring but from the sound of it that is doing the job right now)

D

Deleted member 15344

Surely an app on a phone fills that criteria easier and cheaper than a bespoke product? It is pretty much already here by all accounts (my club wont allow the EG app for scoring but from the sound of it that is doing the job right now)

The IG app does it - the only thing missing is a way for marker verification but I have no doubt that will be next

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

You're absolutely right but there is still the issue of people being required to carry their own smartphones around with them, of which some are still resistant, and I must confess that would include me.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
You're absolutely right but there is still the issue of people being required to carry their own smartphones around with them, of which some are still resistant, and I must confess that would include me.

I actually enjoy the time on course without looking at my phone - its a nice break from it all.

If I had to put scores in after every hole - id end up pinging messages to various group chats too, its just what happens when I unlock my phone!

peld

Visit site
I dont like using my phone either, so as I said above, what i will start to do is "start" scoring on the IG app, then put it away and use a normal card, then at the end use the app to enter my score. Best of both worlds i think

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I dont like using my phone either, so as I said above, what i will start to do is "start" scoring on the IG app, then put it away and use a normal card, then at the end use the app to enter my score. Best of both worlds i think
I'm with both of you really, I don't keep my phone in my bag for example. I think how Peld is doing it is spot on and what I would do if it were possible at my place.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Maybe sometime in the future a device designed to do one job (golf scorecard) will be a lot cheaper than a multifunction smartphone and very cheap when about 200 are bought for a golf club in one go.