Will Scorecards For Comps Soon Be Redundant?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The scoring stuff has pretty much all just been hypothetical chat, I can't see it coming anytime soon. That said online entry from phones etc isn't far away.
If you have a question then ask and I'll answer

Sadly the are still a lot of people in golf whod rather it went back in time and become the exclusive club it was previously.

Online entry is well and truly here - England Golf stuff is all phone accessible and at my club too for all comps

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Are you for real ?
Read my last few posts where I have directly asked you questions.

For the record I have posted several posts thinking it is only a matter of time .
I am not against it ,just don’t understand the terms in the tech world.
But if people who know don’t enlighten the likes of me that don’t know this tech stuff ,it’s no surprise they want the status quo.
For real what?
Your last few posts are quips about Russians and a few irrelevant notes about charging and stuff.
Nothing I can see you are actually asking.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let me put you straight, I know sweet FA about computers and tech.
And I am not “ Making anything out “ that’s an assumption on your part.
If there’s no devices where do you record the scores?
What’s a SAP system?
This is the problem with people who know how tech works ,they think everybody else knows how it works.

The reason why is I asked some questions .you decided not to answer them and just preach to me.
That is disappointing.
There’s a couple here where the question marks are.

The Russian remark was a joke. But a big lack of a sense of humour is obvious.

sunshine

Visit site
Using electronic devices on the course for scoring should not be permitted because it will aggravate my electromagnetic hyper-sensitivity syndrome.

sunshine

Visit site
Surely the long term answer is to have drones powered by bots following every player around the course to monitor your play and collect score data. The drone would recognise a shot and automatically record it, thus keeping your score without your input - you would just need to check it and confirm at the end of the round using your biometric signature.

The drone would also record footage of everything you did over the round, so would be able to monitor pace of play, offer play back to help resolve disputes, as well as provide yardages. It could also deliver drinks and snacks mid-round, or replacement pencils and paper scorecards if it was raining.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't think there is any doubt that some form of electronic scoring will happen in the future but many clubs are struggling financially and paper scorecards are a cheap option.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Using electronic devices on the course for scoring should not be permitted because it will aggravate my electromagnetic hyper-sensitivity syndrome.[/

How are you posting on here then ?
Is your PA doing it for you ,my butler is not happy posting mine lol.

There’s a lot of sensitive people about you can’t cater for them all.
If you have a doctors letter they might let you have a card and pencil.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn’t be surprised if someone developed a digital scorecard that you picked up before you went off and it automatically transferred your scores to a main server, technology is moving fast.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Sorry, Robin, I was being somewhat facetious. I do use a smartphone, but a lot less than the tech aware youngsters. You would probably cringe at the little use I make of its abilities, and apps I am wary of😀, but no doubt cos I am the wrong side of seventy.
Whilst I can see that you are enthusiastic about ease of scoring golf competitions using such apps, be mindful that your comfort with these phones and apps etc is not shared by a lot of golfers, mainly seniors, of which there are many.
They may be very convenient to use, but surely only as an ancillary to pencil and card.
Otherwise,
Like electric cars, the big problem , it seems to me, is the in between period from introduction to almost universal use. And it would have to be completely reliable universal use, would it not?
Imagine a competition where all are using only the app.- Just put in the score and everything else is taken care of. No checking to be done, etc, the computer does it all. -
Then, an hour into the competition, the computer fails, or the connectivity fails, or individual phones fail (are those chaps d/q?)
I cannot see a point in tech development where a pencil and card would not have to be used as a back up, can you?
When we return our scores at our club, as well as the cards being submitted , there is a requirement to input the score on the club computer. I see the benefits of that, of course, and yes, why not do it as you play .? Again, yes .
But IMO, still using the pencil too.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
some very good points and I agree I dont see electric scoring replacing pencil and card anytime soon.
Specifically around failures? You are correct many things can go wrong, i think the only one that is of any real concern is device failure and for that read battery running out!, akin to losing a scorecard really.
I'd log the scores separately and we sort it out back at the club house, same as if I had lost your physical card.

...and that's why you'd carry a card...:)

No working out with Playing Companions whose device to use - just whip the card out and continue where you left off. No bother, No hassle, No Delay. Just nice and handy.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Surely, any system that captures data in real time must be able to confirm actual capture. So, in the (hopefully) rare instances of failure, previously entered & confirmed scores are safe and it's only current holes that need to be entered by another means - whether via the app or card. I'd envisage that PSI would pick up what had been entered and allow the player/marker to enter the outstanding as happens for the entire card now.

D

Deleted Member 1156

This thread reminds me of the story about NASA spending millions developing a biro that would work in zero gravity so that the astronauts could write things down in space. The Russians used a pencil.

Or words to that effect :ROFLMAO:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This thread reminds me of the story about NASA spending millions developing a biro that would work in zero gravity so that the astronauts could write things down in space. The Russians used a pencil.

Or words to that effect :ROFLMAO:
You mean the myth about using a pencil vs a space age biro?
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-nasa-spen/

Another myth - but certain parts of the article typify what CAN happen.

In 1989, I saw the transcript of an invoice for $4000 with about 50 lines of text describing the 'appartus'. Turned out it was a simple nut and bolt! And at the time, the company I was working at (on contract) was trying to minimise/reduce a $400 lawsuit for similar overcharging of US Government.