Will Manufacturers Drive Dress Code Change in Clubs?

D

Deleted member 15344

Actually, I am perfectly happy at my club. Just pointing out that I have never been asked. ?‍♂️

Do you need to be directly asked ?‍♂️ Or if you haven’t said anything or brought anything up at AGM etc they take that as you’re being ok with the dress code

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I didn’t read beyond the first paragraph. Your points may have been entirely valid ones, but I didn’t read them. Clearly debating with me is beneath you, so I’m saving you the bother.

But do keep posting - it’ll allow @KenL to keep boosting your like count.

So again, calling my naive and Orikuro obtuse, which are both attacks to the person are fine, but me attacking your arguments while remaining civil to you is over the line?

If it makes you feel better I apologise for calling your argument fatuous, I disagree with it, and set out why.

If you cannot bring yourself to read my post or respond that's your perogative.

But don't act high and mighty about it.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So again, calling my naive and Orikuro obtuse, which are both attacks to the person are fine, but me attacking your arguments while remaining civil to you is over the line?

If it makes you feel better I apologise for calling your argument fatuous, I disagree with it, and set out why.

Would like to "like" this post but would you know how it is...?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

Oh, give it a rest man.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't get me started on that as well!!

This is so, so true. Couldn't agree more. Years of conditioning (perhaps brainwashing) by golf clubs that traditional attire must be worn. But why? Not a single person ever has a logical reason, other than that's how it is and standards and traditions must be obeyed because it is written.
It isn't that there isn't a reason. It's that people are uncomfortable, unwilling, and prefer not to state explicitly to others, and to some extent even themselves at times, that they support exclusion and superiority.

It is rooted in classism, and dress codes are a social symbol and enforcing of identity, with the otherside of the coin, the non-belonging of those not conforming to the groups norms.

Loose terms such as standards, and tradition, are vague throwaway euphemisms that dodge the deeper explanation.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I’m sorry? I thought you were above personal insults? Clearly not.

I said all I wanted to say on this subject several hours ago, and drew a line under any discussion with you when you decided my point of view was fatuous. There is nothing for either of us to gain from continuing a debate when one side clearly has so little regard for the other’s opinion.

Since I made my stance crystal clear you have gone on and on like a cracked record. Sorry to disappoint, but I don’t engage with contributors whose sole aim seems to be latching on to another with the goal of having a puerile argument about the rights or wrongs of someone else’s trousers.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site

I said all I wanted to say on this subject several hours ago, and drew a line under any discussion with you when you decided my point of view was fatuous. There is nothing for either of us to gain from continuing a debate when one side clearly has so little regard for the other’s opinion.

Since I made my stance crystal clear you have gone on and on like a cracked record. Sorry to disappoint, but I don’t engage with contributors whose sole aim seems to be latching on to another with the goal of having a puerile argument about the rights or wrongs of someone else’s trousers.
I, for one, would like to hear your reply though. You seem to be avoiding it for some reason.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Don’t be so naive. Do you really think if you allow denim jeans on the golf course that people won’t push the boundaries? That’s precisely why golf clubs have varying dress codes to begin with - so that there’s a line in the sand.
Here is a picture of me in 1978 at The Leicestershire wearing jeans as so many did for so many years.
1978 Leic.jpg
There was no more a case of people "pushing boundaries" in those days than there is now.
I haven't worn anything denim, on or off the course, for over 30 years and don't intend to resume, but I don't see any reason to ban one particular form of material.
As material for trousers denim is crap - only mildly better than cardboard. I came to realise that before the age of 30 and never worn any since.

I would prefer a dress code that is advice rather than dogma and credit all golfers with self-regulatory common sense even though the degree of such sense will vary.
If one person chooses to wear what I consider totally ridiculous and unsuitable for golf, what right do I have to impose my thoughts and beliefs upon such a person? None, I say.
I could offer my opinion politely as advice, however. Golf clubs should do the same.

You can wear denim jeans and get-away-with-it, if they are pink rather than blue. I've seen it done. Everyone sees the pink, but not the denim.

Last edited:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

Your response was pathetic not you.

You seem to have some issue differentiating between attacking a person and attacking a post.

You do realise that this is a discussion forum right, the whole point is to discuss things.

If you don't want to continue, fine, can't force you. But don't use faux outrage as a reason why

I directly responded to your reply to me, setting out several arguments, which you have ignored.

Again fine you can do what you want, but it does come across as a bit childish to be honest

Leftitshort

Visit site
Wear what you want, but you’re limiting your options if you do. Sad but true, but dress codes do = standards. Would anyone really want to play somewhere where fellas play with no shirts as per earlier in the thread. If dress codes were dropped tomorrow, I wouldn’t change what I wear much. But then I’m not an edgy social warrior like some fellas

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On the question, I dont think so. The key goal of dress codes is the hiding behind at least a £5 Primark poloshirt, undesireables in ones club who arent naturally wearing a £80 Footjoy or Galvin Green one. Their unchecked tendency might otherwise be to wear a tee shirt or football shirt : making them stick out as people you dont want to associate with, but by being on the course or in your clubhouse, you are associating with. So you minimise them insulting your eyes and sense of self worth and suoeriority, by effectively, disguising them.
But you call it 'standards', 'tradition', or 'acceptable golf attire' to hide even this unpleasant truth from yourself.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
More likely to be the pink castle tees mate ??

What a Wally! ??

Skimming through it Jesus…. Some of you are touchy and uptight! ?

Let’s forget the pink Mohican (although it would match my castle tees) and Daves worn out corded trousers and dirty polo with an egg stain that he hasn’t washed in weeks, golf gear has to be functional, clean and suitable for use… it’s that simple.

Would I wear the op’s tee shirt? It depends.

A) it’s a hot summers day and bright sun sunshine with my only top being that, absolutely not. The collar is there in principle to semi protect the next from direct sun (sunburn) and to wick sweat from the skin, it’s functional.

B) it’s a day that I’m wearing one of my 1/4 zip golf tops which have a collar. The collar prevents the cold wind getting in and keeps my moobs toasty so I don’t need another collar as I have one in my golf top, so that tee shirt is perfect.

Jeans im out on, when you walk through damp rough they get wet and take ages to dry, in a shower they are the most uncomfortable item of clothing to wear and by turn in the heat and they make you sweat more. That being said I had one of the nicest rounds of golf with a guy wearing jeans recently. It’s was an average autumn morning so sweat wasn’t an issue and he was off 4 and didn’t miss a single fairway so the issue wasn’t there. They looked almost new dark blue jeans, no rips, and arguably were smarter than 90% of our seniors who stick to traditions.

Clean + functional = acceptable.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
On the question, I dont think so. The key goal of dress codes is the hiding behind at least a £5 Primark poloshirt, undesireables in ones club who arent naturally wearing a £80 Footjoy or Galvin Green one. Their unchecked tendency might otherwise be to wear a tee shirt or football shirt : making them stick out as people you dont want to associate with, but by being on the course or in your clubhouse, you are associating with. So you minimise them insulting your eyes and sense of self worth and suoeriority, by effectively, disguising them.
But you call it 'standards', 'tradition', or 'acceptable golf attire' to hide even this unpleasant truth from yourself.
I've given this post a like.
Others please take note.
I am not saying whether I agree with what is being said or not.
I like the way the points are made. It is a valid view, well expressed.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've given this post a like.
Others please take note.
I am not saying whether I agree with what is being said or not.
I like the way the points are made. It is a valid view, well expressed.

I liked this post, because he liked a post.

It seems a new fashion, rather like tee shirts with no collar or jumpers with a hood.