Will Manufacturers Drive Dress Code Change in Clubs?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
And why do they not want to see that type of clothing?

Because they have been conditioned to think that, that is the correct way to dress for golf, there is no other reason.

Golf is a sport, all other sports clothing is deigned for the comfort and to enhance the performance of the player.

If someone was was wearing a vest and board shorts, how does that affect anyone else? They may be annoyed that they are not adhering to the dress code, but that is just a cyclical argument.

If you got rid of a dress code, what you would see is more people in "gym" type gear, stuff that is lightweight, breathable, and flexible. I would imagine most would continue wearing polo shirts. People wouldn't tend to wear clothing that would be uncomfortable or clothing that would affect performance, because who would do that.

As for restaurants etc I have eaten at Burgh Island Hotel where you have to wear a dinner jacket or full evening wear, I have also eaten at Michelin Starred places where I have been in jeans and t-shirt. The food was just as delicious, and nothing bad happened. If anything the atmosphere at Burgh Island was a bit stuffy and slightly less enjoyable as a result
Absolutely correct. It's the same answer when I ask myself why anybody would be upset at someone wearing a hat in the clubhouse. It's simply that they've been conditioned over years to believe it's a 'bad thing' to do. There is no logical reason to be upset by someone else wearing a hat in isolation.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have alwasy been confused about rugby shirts (plain not team ones). What is basically a thicker, warmer long sleeve polo shirt. Perfect for those inbetween weather days, smart, has a collar, BANNED. Also, cargo shorts. Golf is one of those times when I have most things in my pockets, tees, spare ball, score card, pen, GPS as well as the things I would normally carry but also banned.

I get why people want dress codes (I don't accept that they are necessary but I adhere to them as I must) but I also feel that there are reasons that people want them enforced that are hidden behnd the more socially acceptable mask of 'Standards' and 'tradition'. There have been comments that golf has done wonders bringing down the old social barriers but that is one that I am going to have to disagree on. Golf clubs are still, in my experience (which is limited and some of the clubs people talk about on here seem superb), the home of sexism, racism and social elitism that they always have been, it is just not so open these days and often passed off as a joke or banter.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is. You just don’t like the reason. That’s different but it’s still logic.
It's not logical to ban comfortable athletic clothing because of the standards and traditions of 50 years ago. If you think that's logic you don't know what logic means.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have alwasy been confused about rugby shirts (plain not team ones). What is basically a thicker, warmer long sleeve polo shirt. Perfect for those inbetween weather days, smart, has a collar, BANNED. Also, cargo shorts. Golf is one of those times when I have most things in my pockets, tees, spare ball, score card, pen, GPS as well as the things I would normally carry but also banned.

I get why people want dress codes (I don't accept that they are necessary but I adhere to them as I must) but I also feel that there are reasons that people want them enforced that are hidden behnd the more socially acceptable mask of 'Standards' and 'tradition'. There have been comments that golf has done wonders bringing down the old social barriers but that is one that I am going to have to disagree on. Golf clubs are still, in my experience (which is limited and some of the clubs people talk about on here seem superb), the home of sexism, racism and social elitism that they always have been, it is just not so open these days and often passed off as a joke or banter.
Totally agree on cargo shorts, the extra pockets would be perfect and they look pretty smart. Cannot understand why so many clubs say they're not allowed. :unsure::unsure:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
there have been comments that golf has done wonders bringing down the old social barriers but that is one that I am going to have to disagree on. Golf clubs are still, in my experience (which is limited and some of the clubs people talk about on here seem superb), the home of sexism, racism and social elitism that they always have been, it is just not so open these days and often passed off as a joke or banter.

II can't stand to go anywhere near my club house. In my opinion golf clubs have done very little to bring down social barriers. I hear the conversations that go on around the place and I am always left thinking "these people certainly think alot of themselves". Maybe it's just my club or maybe its like slow play. No one admits to it but it's still there ?‍♂️

D-S

Visit site
When you think about it logically, why is the colour of socks an issue. A restaurant would never impose a dress code regarding the colour of socks, also why are knees acceptable to be seen but in some places ankles are not and in others shins cannot be shown, unless they are female ones. I would like to hear rational explanation of these inclusions/exclusions.
If it were about fashion, I frown (internally) upon long dark socks or garish colours (e.g. Royal and Awesome) however I wouldn’t dream of banning them from a course as it is just personal preference.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
II can't stand to go anywhere near my club house. In my opinion golf clubs have done very little to bring down social barriers. I hear the conversations that go on around the place and I am always left thinking "these people certainly think alot of themselves". Maybe it's just my club or maybe its like slow play. No one admits to it but it's still there ?‍♂️

I have to agree with you on that. Going into the clubhouse at one of my pervious clubs was like walking onto the set of a 1970s sitcom.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Crikey, there's a lot of high horses being ridden on this thread, from both sides. As I said previously, I'm happy with our dress code. In the past I've been to clubs where you had to ask the Captains permission to remove a tie, even in hot weather. I can't speak for all clubs, but I do know a lot of them have relaxed their dress code to take into account the modern world.
I can understand that some people may want to wear more casual / sports related clothing on the golf course, but I can't understand why they don't see that, as a club, they have the right to put their own dress code in place. If you're a member, you have the right to question it. If you feel that strongly, volunteer to work on the committee (most clubs are happy to take on volunteers). Mind you, if you suggest that to people, they run a mile.

This is another of those recurring topics like bunkers, pitch marks, greens, etc. It's good to see the old traditions coming back. ;)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Crikey, there's a lot of high horses being ridden on this thread, from both sides. As I said previously, I'm happy with our dress code. In the past I've been to clubs where you had to ask the Captains permission to remove a tie, even in hot weather. I can't speak for all clubs, but I do know a lot of them have relaxed their dress code to take into account the modern world.
I can understand that some people may want to wear more casual / sports related clothing on the golf course, but I can't understand why they don't see that, as a club, they have the right to put their own dress code in place. If you're a member, you have the right to question it. If you feel that strongly, volunteer to work on the committee (most clubs are happy to take on volunteers). Mind you, if you suggest that to people, they run a mile.

No one is saying that clubs should not be allowed to be in charge of their own dress code. I think everyone here would happily wear old fashioned golf clothing if it meant they could play a course that they really want to.

This has morphed into a discussion on why dress codes exist, where have they come from and do they really make any sense. No one is saying that all dress codes should be banned. Simply that there is no logical reason for them in the modern day

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I do not disagree with anything that you say. I am not that averse to on course dress codes but I do feel that the strictly applied rules of chinos and a polo shirt do exclude a number of perfectly valid and equally smart clothing options that are, in many cases, more practical.

Clubhouses are another matter, I respect their right to apply a dress code, if there is a spike bar I will use it but I use a bar to relax and if there is a requirement to change and there is a dress code ithat I do not find comfortable in place then I will simply take my playing partners to the local pub instead. I wear a suit and tie all week, I do not want to spend my weekend in smart trousers and a collared shirt.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Totally agree on cargo shorts, the extra pockets would be perfect and they look pretty smart. Cannot understand why so many clubs say they're not allowed. :unsure::unsure:

Actually I do get the ban on cargo shorts, here's what happens;

Try on cargo shorts in shop, these look pretty good, they'd be great for golf
Wear next day for 18, so versatile, go home raving and stick them in the wash to wear for tomorrows round
Next day PP says, Mate, why are you wearing a potato sack with pockets

They just don't survive the intended look beyond their first wear/wash

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Actually I do get the ban on cargo shorts, here's what happens;

Try on cargo shorts in shop, these look pretty good, they'd be great for golf
Wear next day for 18, so versatile, go home raving and stick them in the wash to wear for tomorrows round
Next day PP says, Mate, why are you wearing a potato sack with pockets

They just don't survive the intended look beyond their first wear/wash
Surely true of any clothing if it needs ironing and you don't want to bother. :LOL: One of my best mates wears cheap Primark shorts that he never irons, I think they look horrendous but they fit the dress code so there you go. I tend to buy polyester stuff since it doesn't need ironing, and avoid cotton clothing like the plague.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Regardless of folks' views on dress codes, it is pretty clear that in the context of the question on this thread, the answer is probably "yes!"

Someone paid Justin Thomas a bundle to wear a hoodie, he wears one. Then suddenly they are "in!" :)
Some things haven't caught on though. I remember Van Phillips years ago wore a tie, and of course more recently Mickelson wore a button-up shirt for a year. Don't know why you'd want to play in either of those but the money must have been good!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm all for dress codes.

Where else can you dress like an absolute pimp and fit right in? (except a pimp convention that is)
Don't you believe it. The last pimp convention I attended the youngsters had no idea about dress sense at all many refused to wear decent correspondent shoes and no decent floppy hats at all. Standards are dropping I tell you.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Ironic that there seems to be a general acceptance on this forum that men over a certain age shouldn't wear football shirts because it's unseemly, but some are all for banning dress codes and having those same men in gym shorts, singlets and other such unseemly garments on the golf course. :unsure:

You really couldn't make it up.