Will Manufacturers Drive Dress Code Change in Clubs?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Remind me someone, what is the problem with changing shoes in the carpark?
Because people come back to the car park, thanks their shoes off, bang them together to knock the dirt off, and make a mess of the car park. I was the difference at our club when people were allowed to change their shoes in the car park during COVID. It made a real mess.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Because people come back to the car park, thanks their shoes off, bang them together to knock the dirt off, and make a mess of the car park. I was the difference at our club when people were allowed to change their shoes in the car park during COVID. It made a real mess.
So, do they now bang the dirt off in the clubhouse?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Don't you just give them to the guy on duty outside the locker room and collect them all nice and clean once you've changed (y)
They stopped me from doing that in 1975, because I was making too much money. I offered to wash cars in the car park, but they wouldn't let me do that either.

D

Deleted member 15344

So exactly what I said then. No logical reason. Just the maintaining of outdated traditions because that's the way it's always been.

I don't mind a dress code as long as it's fairly relaxed, I have lots of nice golf clothes so I won't fall foul of it, it's not a problem. I just don't at all see their relevance in the modern era. Should have been phased out by now.

It’s to draw a line in the sand

Many place have dress codes in all walk off life

Golf clubs will have a dress code so that people don’t turn up wearing flip flops , beach shorts , topless , sleeveless shirts etc etc

It’s just about making sure that people wear more appropriate clothing for the surroundings and the sport

RichA

Visit site
That's the beauty of a cheap club with a dirt and gravel car park. No locker room at ours.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
So, do they now bang the dirt off in the clubhouse?
No. There is a shoe cleaner outside the clubhouse door, so people clean it there. And they know they can't bang their shoes in the changing rooms, so they are more likely to use it. When changing the shoes in the car park, people can just walk straight off the course and bang their shoes in the car park to clean them. Of course, during Covid, you couldn't use the shoe blower. Now people could either forget, or just not bother. It's human nature.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Back to the OP's original question. They may not change some of the dress codes radically, but they can influence them. Trainer style shoes is an example. But, at the end of the day, Golf clubs are just that, clubs. They will have specific dress codes and if you don't like them, don't join or play there. If it's a members club, you are entitled to ask for these changes, and they can be voted on by members at the AGM if you really feel that strongly. I don't think ours are too Draconian, and I don't spend a massive amount of money on my clothes. I use places like County Golf where I can get smart gear without spending a fortune.
There are pubs in Glasgow where you are not allowed to wear "colours" (football tops). If you don't like that rule, go to a pub that will let you.
I actually think the vast majority of the members of a club are happy with the dress code. I like to change for golf, I have specific golf clothes. Not many, but enough to see me by.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s to draw a line in the sand

Many place have dress codes in all walk off life

Golf clubs will have a dress code so that people don’t turn up wearing flip flops , beach shorts , topless , sleeveless shirts etc etc

It’s just about making sure that people wear more appropriate clothing for the surroundings and the sport
That still doesn't answer the why, it's like you don't understand what I'm saying. Why not allow people to wear 'beach shorts' - they are just shorts that people may find comfortable. Sleeveless shirts - so what? Easier to swing in perhaps? I don't think many would be topless or in flip flops for long, not after the first time they've scratched their back up in a thorn bush or slipped on their backside on a slope from the dodgy footwear. As @Voyager EMH said earlier on, an advisory code on what's practical would make a hell of a let more sense than an officious code based on 'standards and traditions' of a bygone era.

Back to the OP's original question. They may not change some of the dress codes radically, but they can influence them. Trainer style shoes is an example. But, at the end of the day, Golf clubs are just that, clubs. They will have specific dress codes and if you don't like them, don't join or play there. If it's a members club, you are entitled to ask for these changes, and they can be voted on by members at the AGM if you really feel that strongly. I don't think ours are too Draconian, and I don't spend a massive amount of money on my clothes. I use places like County Golf where I can get smart gear without spending a fortune.
There are pubs in Glasgow where you are not allowed to wear "colours" (football tops). If you don't like that rule, go to a pub that will let you.
I actually think the vast majority of the members of a club are happy with the dress code. I like to change for golf, I have specific golf clothes. Not many, but enough to see me by.
I agree with most of this. I have lots of nice golf clothes - like you, from County Golf mostly! My club isn't too officious with it - on the website it does say tuck shirts in, but I never have and I've never been called out for it, so I don't think many are particularly bothered. They do make sure people take hats off in the clubhouse for some reason, but that's an old school tradition in all walks of life (i.e. restaurants would probably say the same) so not bothered about that.

I just think it was an interest point that it's almost going in a circular fashion. Golf brands started bringing out trainer shoes, collarless polos etc, and thus many clubs altered their codes to say "anything sold as golf attire" etc. But manufacturers are maybe using that now to push the envelope further, with joggers, and as I led with, plain t-shirts now being released under golf monikers. Only a matter of time until Lyle & Scott or somebody releases "golf jeans" and BillysBoots has a panic attack. ?

D

Deleted member 15344

That still doesn't answer the why, it's like you don't understand what I'm saying. Why not allow people to wear 'beach shorts' - they are just shorts that people may find comfortable. Sleeveless shirts - so what? Easier to swing in perhaps? I don't think many would be topless or in flip flops for long, not after the first time they've scratched their back up in a thorn bush or slipped on their backside on a slope from the dodgy footwear. As @Voyager EMH said earlier on, an advisory code on what's practical would make a hell of a let more sense than an officious code based on 'standards and traditions' of a bygone era.

I agree with most of this. I have lots of nice golf clothes - like you, from County Golf mostly! My club isn't too officious with it - on the website it does say tuck shirts in, but I never have and I've never been called out for it, so I don't think many are particularly bothered. They do make sure people take hats off in the clubhouse for some reason, but that's an old school tradition in all walks of life (i.e. restaurants would probably say the same) so not bothered about that.

I just think it was an interest point that it's almost going in a circular fashion. Golf brands started bringing out trainer shoes, collarless polos etc, and thus many clubs altered their codes to say "anything sold as golf attire" etc. But manufacturers are maybe using that now to push the envelope further, with joggers, and as I led with, plain t-shirts now being released under golf monikers. Only a matter of time until Lyle & Scott or somebody releases "golf jeans" and BillysBoots has a panic attack. ?

Blimey - the why again is simple

Because that’s not what golf authorities, clubs , courses , driving ranges , players etc have deemed to be suitable clothing to play golf in

And I have seen plenty at local pay and playing topless etc - in fact recently at Belton Woods two group of lads topless etc

Can the why not be “looks” and standards ?

There doesn’t have to be a practical reason why - but you have been told the reason why clubs and authorities impose dress codes

If you turned up at a restaurant with beach shirts etc and they said no entry would you stand there constantly asking why ?‍♂️

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Blimey - the why again is simple

Because that’s not what golf authorities, clubs , courses , driving ranges , players etc have deemed to be suitable clothing to play golf in

And I have seen plenty at local pay and playing topless etc - in fact recently at Belton Woods two group of lads topless etc

Can the why not be “looks” and standards ?

There doesn’t have to be a practical reason why - but you have been told the reason why clubs and authorities impose dress codes

If you turned up at a restaurant with beach shirts etc and they said no entry would you stand there constantly asking why ?‍♂️
Yeah, you're not getting it. I was asking for a logical reason. "Because we said so" isn't based on logic. I agree with a lot of @Backsticks assertions that dress codes were initiated as a class separator back when golf was for the well-to-do. To maintain them in this day and age is illogical, they should be long gone by now. Unless, again as Backsticks asserted - you secretly yearn for class separation still.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah, you're not getting it. I was asking for a logical reason. "Because we said so" isn't based on logic. I agree with a lot of @Backsticks assertions that dress codes were initiated as a class separator back when golf was for the well-to-do. To maintain them in this day and age is illogical, they should be long gone by now. Unless, again as Backsticks asserted - you secretly yearn for class separation still.

It’s got nothing to do with “class seperation” ?‍♂️

Golf clubs have spent years and time removing those barriers

wearing shorts and a polo shirt isn’t about class - it’s about being presentable and personal pride for one thing

Clubs make rule - there logic is they don’t want to see people without tops , wearing football shirts , sleeveless tops , cut off jeans , jeans , beach shorts etc - as they don’t see it as both practicable or acceptable for the golf course - that’s their logic.

The same logic that shops , work places , restaurants, football clubs , sports facilities apply when they have a dress code

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

wearing shorts and a polo shirt isn’t about class - it’s about being presentable and personal pride for one thing

Clubs make rule - there logic is they don’t want to see people without tops , wearing football shirts , sleeveless tops , cut off jeans , jeans , beach shorts etc - as they don’t see it as both practicable or acceptable for the golf course - that’s their logic.

The same logic that shops , work places , restaurants, football clubs , sports facilities apply when they have a dress code

And why do they not want to see that type of clothing?

Because they have been conditioned to think that, that is the correct way to dress for golf, there is no other reason.

Golf is a sport, all other sports clothing is deigned for the comfort and to enhance the performance of the player.

If someone was was wearing a vest and board shorts, how does that affect anyone else? They may be annoyed that they are not adhering to the dress code, but that is just a cyclical argument.

If you got rid of a dress code, what you would see is more people in "gym" type gear, stuff that is lightweight, breathable, and flexible. I would imagine most would continue wearing polo shirts. People wouldn't tend to wear clothing that would be uncomfortable or clothing that would affect performance, because who would do that.

As for restaurants etc I have eaten at Burgh Island Hotel where you have to wear a dinner jacket or full evening wear, I have also eaten at Michelin Starred places where I have been in jeans and t-shirt. The food was just as delicious, and nothing bad happened. If anything the atmosphere at Burgh Island was a bit stuffy and slightly less enjoyable as a result

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

It isn't now - but it was when they were introduced. They still exist now because people want to uphold the traditions of the past. That's fine if you like to value those out of some sense of loyalty or jingoism. It just isn't logic. There is very little difference in appearance a golf polo and a smart polyester t-shirt now. As golf is a sport with athletic motion, there's no reason standard sporting attire shouldn't be allowed now, other than 'tradition' because 'that's the way it always was'.