Will Manufacturers Drive Dress Code Change in Clubs?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
They aren't comparable as they are team sports requiring team colours or kit to differentiate from their opponents.

Their is no need in golf to wear a kit unless you are playing as a team and want to look like a unit. This is even more the case when you are simply playing socially ie not in a competition. You are playing as an individual, why not be allowed to be one.

And how does a dress code prevent you doing that? If you can't dress individually whilst remaining within a dress code then I'd suggest that you lack some imagination.

And whilst it wasn't you that made the point, it is undeniable that John Daly dresses individually whilst remaining within the dress code required for professionals and he has been criticised for it in this thread...

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
And how does a dress code prevent you doing that? If you can't dress individually whilst remaining within a dress code then I'd suggest that you lack some imagination.

And whilst it wasn't you that made the point, it is undeniable that John Daly dresses individually whilst remaining within the dress code required for professionals and he has been criticised for it in this thread...

I didn't criticise. I only said I would prefer jeans to him advertising a certain chain of "bars".

evemccc

Visit site
This is what our club has just sent out to our members. Not everyone will agree with all of it, but they are our requirements. I personally don't have an issue with it, although I think plain T-Shirts or just with the logo aren't an issue.

Dress Code

A polite reminder of the dress code which is available on the Clubs website. The East Renfrewshire Golf Club operates a contemporary and forward thinking dress policy commensurate with a modern day members’ golf club.

On The Course and Practice Putting Area - Members and visitors are asked to ensure that they conform to a good, neat and clean standard of recognised golfing apparel including golf shoes at all times. When changing golf shoes or clothing please use the locker rooms rather than the car park. Examples of inappropriate dress are rugby/football tops, tee shirts without collars or sleeves, denim jeans or cargo pants and track or shell suits.

In The Clubhouse - Members and visitors to any lounge or dining area are asked to ensure that they conform to a good, neat and clean standard of dress. Denim jeans are accepted provided that they are free from rips or tears. Trainers are acceptable. Accompanying children are expected to be dressed in smart casual clothing commensurate with their age. Members and guests are asked to make use of the cloakrooms and locker rooms to hang outdoor wear.

Examples of inappropriate dress are rugby/football tops, tee shirts without collars or sleeves, hooded tops, track or shell suits, waterproofs, wet or soiled or torn clothing, caps/ woolly hats, golf shoes (except when obtaining drinks for consumption on the patio).

The thing that distresses me the most here is that an official communication from a British golf club has used the term ‘pants’ when not talking about underwear, but meaning ‘trousers’ ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Do football teams have a dress code? Do cricket, netball, basketball, baseball teams, rowing eights? Pretty well all sports have a 'uniform', why not golf?

I have the mental image of a small child throwing a tantrum and stamping their feet when comments like this are made.

Grown (mostly) middle to old aged men getting all worked up about what other people wear to play golf in is truly pathetic.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

You can dress as an individual but there are restrictions. I don't see those restrictions as having either value or credibility. I like to see sense in things, there is no sense in most golf dress codes, they are arbitrary and mostly out dated.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Remind me someone, what is the problem with changing shoes in the carpark?
Don't get me started on that as well!!

A few years ago I was honestly on the same side of the argument as you, before I realised that I was pro dress code because I had been conditioned by playing with a dress code.

Forget golf, if I said we're going to play a sport, you'll be outside in the elements for 4 hours, walking 5 miles carrying a 10kg weight, and every few minutes doing an explosive movement using all major muscle groups, dress appropriately, I doubt you'd pick chinos and a polo shirt
This is so, so true. Couldn't agree more. Years of conditioning (perhaps brainwashing) by golf clubs that traditional attire must be worn. But why? Not a single person ever has a logical reason, other than that's how it is and standards and traditions must be obeyed because it is written.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Don’t waste your time. I’m not about to enter into an adult discussion with someone who dismisses my point of view as fatuous in their opening paragraph merely because they disagree with it.

But you calling me naive, and the OP obtuse is fine.

I called your argument fatuous, because it was, not merely because I disagreed with it. I then set out exactly why it was wrong

I have a feeling you basically have no rebuttal to my points so are attempting to dismiss my argument on some faux moral outrage

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Thousands of courses in the UK. Some have highly traditional dress codes, some have virtually no dress code, the rest are somewhere in the middle.
I'll do what the locals require as I'm a guest in their house!

No need to get offended either by seeing track bottoms or being told to tuck your shirt in.

Play somewhere where you're happy in your surroundings.

Last edited:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Do football teams have a dress code? Do cricket, netball, basketball, baseball teams, rowing eights? Pretty well all sports have a 'uniform', why not golf?

Those are team sports, it is advantageous to be able to identify a team mate quickly which is why kits are not allowed to be similar and on the pitch at the same time

Golf is more like singles tennis or badminton. Where there is absolutely no dress code, so players wear clothing that is comfortable and aids their performance

D

Deleted member 15344

Don't get me started on that as well!!

This is so, so true. Couldn't agree more. Years of conditioning (perhaps brainwashing) by golf clubs that traditional attire must be worn. But why? Not a single person ever has a logical reason, other than that's how it is and standards and traditions must be obeyed because it is written.

Surely the why is simple

Why ? - because that’s what the golf club and it’s members have decided they want their members and guests to wear. The members believe that they want people to wear golf clothes and of a specific standard - that’s a clubs choice

There are thousands of clubs up and down the land with varying different levels of dress codes - there will be a club that will fit in with everyone’s idea of what they want to wear

Never understand why some always get their golf pants in a twist over dress codes -

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
But you calling me naive, and the OP obtuse is fine.

I called your argument fatuous, because it was, not merely because I disagreed with it. I then set out exactly why it was wrong

I have a feeling you basically have no rebuttal to my points so are attempting to dismiss my argument on some faux moral outrage

I didn’t read beyond the first paragraph. Your points may have been entirely valid ones, but I didn’t read them. Clearly debating with me is beneath you, so I’m saving you the bother.

But do keep posting - it’ll allow @KenL to keep boosting your like count.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Surely the why is simple

Why ? - because that’s what the golf club and it’s members have decided they want their members and guests to wear. The members believe that they want people to wear golf clothes and of a specific standard - that’s a clubs choice

There are thousands of clubs up and down the land with varying different levels of dress codes - there will be a club that will fit in with everyone’s idea of what they want to wear

Never understand why some always get their golf pants in a twist over dress codes -

I have never been asked as a club member my opinion on the dress codes expected of members or guests. That, I assumed was a committee thing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely the why is simple

So exactly what I said then. No logical reason. Just the maintaining of outdated traditions because that's the way it's always been.

I don't mind a dress code as long as it's fairly relaxed, I have lots of nice golf clothes so I won't fall foul of it, it's not a problem. I just don't at all see their relevance in the modern era. Should have been phased out by now.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have never been asked as a club member my opinion on the dress codes expected of members or guests. That, I assumed was a committee thing.

Are you not able to ask ?‍♂️ Or do what our members do and if you want to change it bring it up at the AGM and see if the membership want to change it