Will Manufacturers Drive Dress Code Change in Clubs?

RichA

Visit site
No dress code at our place, but the vast majority wear polos and trousers or shorts.
You occasionally see people in jeans but if you've ever participated in an outdoor activity in jeans when it's either wet or hot, you'd probably never do it again.
I own a few t-shirts but don't wear them for golf. The fact is that they don't look good on the section of the population most likely to play golf.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No dress code at our place, but the vast majority wear polos and trousers or shorts.
You occasionally see people in jeans but if you've ever played in jeans when it's either wet or hot, you'd probably never do it again.
Agreed, doesn't bother me when I see someone wearing jeans for golf, but I have no idea why they'd want to!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
That pretty much reflects my feelings. I don't see why we shouldn't be able to wear a plain running top - same material as a most golf tops now, just minus the collar. Also a plain pair of running bottoms / leggings would be ideal in winter. If t-shirts like the Adidas one I posted become acceptable then we're not far off it.

Completely agree, I used to think quite traditionally when it came to dress code, but now think that is quite a stupid way of thinking.

A golf swing is an athletic motion and wearing smart trousers and collared tops makes no sense. As long as the players have a good pace of play/let faster groups through and repair pitchmarks and replace divots, who really cares what someone else is wearing

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Manufacturers will only drive dress code changes if the own the club; otherwise it will be the members or the proprietor.

If the members are happy for people to dress like a sack of then the dress codes will be abandoned; if they wish to ensure a standard will be maintained then the dress codes will be maintained.

It really is that simple.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Manufacturers will only drive dress code changes if the own the club; otherwise it will be the members or the proprietor.

If the members are happy for people to dress like a sack of then the dress codes will be abandoned; if they wish to ensure a standard will be maintained then the dress codes will be maintained.

That view really depends if you think any code maintains a standard, whatever that 'standard' may be. This discussion has been had on here on many an occasion but I'd rather see a clean t-shirt and cargo shorts than a stained and crumpled polo shirt and trousers. I'm not sure how the latter fits with the concept of maintaining 'standards' but they pass the code.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Of course, but as I mentioned, aren't dress codes creeping in one direction? I'm sure countless clubs that wouldn't have allowed trainer shoes, collarless polos and hooded jumpers 15 years ago probably are doing so now. It must be quite a small percentage that are still clinging to the very old school mindset?

Last edited by a moderator:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Agreed, doesn't bother me when I see someone wearing jeans for golf, but I have no idea why they'd want to!

I’ll be honest, I draw the line at jeans. You allow them, then you’ll see designer ripped jeans, and there’s no telling where it will end. I’m far from prudish (hell, I bought a collarless golf shirt, after all ?), but there has to be a line in the sand somewhere.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ll be honest, I draw the line at jeans. You allow them, then you’ll see designer ripped jeans, and there’s no telling where it will end. I’m far from prudish (hell, I bought a collarless golf shirt, after all ?), but there has to be a line in the sand somewhere.

What's wrong with jeans? I don't wear them myself as I don't think they are comfortable on the course.

I have no issue with not tucking in shirts, helps keeping cool in hot weather.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally, I think in a world where comfortable sporty clothing is allowed on the course, I don't see why anyone would opt for jeans, unless they had literally never played before and just turned up to the course wearing whatever they had on them. Similar to how I took up golf wearing Ralph Lauren polos and then graduated towards the polyester proper golf types because they were much more comfortable to swing in and to wear in warm weather. I don't think anyone who plays golf regularly would end up selecting jeans as their ideal golf attire.

Billysboots

Visit site
What's wrong with jeans? I don't wear them myself as I don't think they are comfortable on the course.

I have no issue with not tucking in shirts, helps keeping cool in hot weather.

There’s nothing wrong with jeans. But not on the golf course, for the reasons cited in my post.

There has to be a minimum standard on the golf course. What’s yours?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There’s nothing wrong with jeans. But not on the golf course, for the reasons cited in my post.

There has to be a minimum standard on the golf course. What’s yours?

Minimum standard???
I would say I'm happy if players respect the course, know required etiquette, some knowledge of the rules and play at a reasonable pace.
I would draw the line at a Celtic top. ?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

but its fine when members dressed in a polo that was once blue but is now an off white and trousers that have worn out at the seems ..

long as it fits the code its fine to look a sack.

Billysboots

Visit site
Minimum standard???
I would say I'm happy if players respect the course, know required etiquette, some knowledge of the rules and play at a reasonable pace.
I would draw the line at a Celtic top. ?

But surely the whole point is that part of respecting the course is dressing appropriately for a round of golf.

As I have said, if you allow jeans, there will be those who push the boundaries and before you know it you’ll have ripped denim, string vests, pink Mohican haircuts and heaven knows what else. I have absolutely no issue whatsoever with anyone who wants to dress like that, but there’s a time and place, and the golf course isn’t it.

Standards are maintained elsewhere in life, and with good reason. Why not on the golf course?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But surely the whole point is that part of respecting the course is dressing appropriately for a round of golf.

As I have said, if you allow jeans, there will be those who push the boundaries and before you know it you’ll have ripped denim, string vests, pink Mohican haircuts and heaven knows what else. I have absolutely no issue whatsoever with anyone who wants to dress like that, but there’s a time and place, and the golf course isn’t it.

Standards are maintained elsewhere in life, and with good reason. Why not on the golf course?

Now you're not happy with people's choice of hairstyle. ?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

eh?

how, how would jeans lead to string vests and pink mohicans, any more than say chinos?

Why are jean not respectable?