Will Manufacturers Drive Dress Code Change in Clubs?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
eh?

how, how would jeans lead to string vests and pink mohicans, any more than say chinos?

Why are jean not respectable?

Don’t be so naive. Do you really think if you allow denim jeans on the golf course that people won’t push the boundaries? That’s precisely why golf clubs have varying dress codes to begin with - so that there’s a line in the sand.

Billysboots

Visit site
I don't care about standards of attire, I do care about people helping maintaining the condition of the course.

Thankfully bar a few clubs around here there isn't the snobbishness found down south.

And there’s absolutely no snobbishness at ours, either. But there’s no jeans on the course. And nobody cares less.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Of course, but as I mentioned, aren't dress codes creeping in one direction? I'm sure countless clubs that wouldn't have allowed trainer shoes, collarless polos and hooded jumpers 15 years ago probably are doing so now. It must be quite a small percentage that are still clinging to the very old school mindset?

Unfortunately they are moving in one direction. That doesn’t mean it’s compulsory to join in. And I think you’ll find that a sizeable number still require a reasonable standard of dress.

If you don’t like the old school mindset as you refer to it, don’t join the club, simple.

Billysboots

Visit site
Unfortunately they are moving in one direction. That doesn’t mean it’s compulsory to join in. And I think you’ll find that a sizeable number still require a reasonable standard of dress.

If you don’t like the old school mindset as you refer to it, don’t join the club, simple.

I don’t understand this desire to be able to wear absolutely anything on the golf course.

We allow jeans in the clubhouse (I even wear them ?), along with pretty much anything else. After representative matches we long since did away with the outdated requirement to get changed into jacket and tie - there’s nothing worse in the height of summer - smart casual is fine for post event meals.

We are by some distance the most relaxed club in these parts, with a young membership and progressive management committee.

But we still have a dress code. Nobody questions it. And everyone understands why there is a need for one.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
That view really depends if you think any code maintains a standard, whatever that 'standard' may be. This discussion has been had on here on many an occasion but I'd rather see a clean t-shirt and cargo shorts than a stained and crumpled polo shirt and trousers. I'm not sure how the latter fits with the concept of maintaining 'standards' but they pass the code.

but its fine when members dressed in a polo that was once blue but is now an off white and trousers that have worn out at the seems ..

long as it fits the code its fine to look a sack.

Obviously clothing should be clean and smart, regardless of whether it's a polo shirt or a T-shirt. But if that's the only argument you've got, you haven't really got an argument as you're arguing for a decent standard of dress.

Why is it only ever polo shirts that are stained & crumpled & never T-shirts... :unsure:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But surely the whole point is that part of respecting the course is dressing appropriately for a round of golf.

As I have said, if you allow jeans, there will be those who push the boundaries and before you know it you’ll have ripped denim, string vests, pink Mohican haircuts and heaven knows what else. I have absolutely no issue whatsoever with anyone who wants to dress like that, but there’s a time and place, and the golf course isn’t it.

Standards are maintained elsewhere in life, and with good reason. Why not on the golf course?
Haha. Always see this kind of whataboutery on dress code threads, and I love it. Do you think there's a big crossover in the Venn diagram of people who want to play golf and people who want to have pink Mohican haircuts? And the only thing separating them is the inability to wear jeans? :LOL:

To my mind 'dressing appropriately for golf' is wearing clothes that are comfortable and easy to move in. To your mind it means fitting the template created by some old fellers 70 odd years ago.

Another thing I've often seen said, but not really my point. I was just talking about how marketing seems to be leading the charge in a softening of those dress codes.

Throwing another grenade in I know, but I'm quite surprised that LIV haven't allowed the players to wear shorts. I was thinking that the other day. You'd have thought they'd be all over that.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
I don’t understand this desire to be able to wear absolutely anything on the golf course.

We allow jeans in the clubhouse (I even wear them ?), along with pretty much anything else. After representative matches we long since did away with the outdated requirement to get changed into jacket and tie - there’s nothing worse in the height of summer - smart casual is fine for post event meals.

We are by some distance the most relaxed club in these parts, with a young membership and progressive management committee.

But we still have a dress code. Nobody questions it. And everyone understands why there is a need for one.

But you're missing the point that you're denying non-members to play your club because of your outdated dress code that they don't feel the need to comply with. ;)

Billysboots

Visit site
To my mind 'dressing appropriately for golf' is wearing clothes that are comfortable and easy to move in. To your mind it means fitting the template created by some old fellers 70 odd years ago.

Then, with respect, you haven’t understood a word I’ve typed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many years ago we changed our rules as a direct result of what was in sale in the pro shop following several complaints about what was for sale in our proshop and why a player could not wear it on the course. (Mainly as a result of what Tiger was wearing).

It is now 'if it is designed to be worn for golf and is sold in a golf shop then it is acceptable to wear it on the course'.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Then, with respect, you haven’t understood a word I’ve typed.
No denim is fine as a dress code. As I've said, you wouldn't want to wear it anyway. I just think trying to claim the wearing of denim will lead to Mohicans and string vests makes you sound ludicrous. In my opinion, it would lead to people wearing jeans for a while and then realising they are sub-optimal for golf and moving back towards something more sporty.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Visit site
No denim is fine as a dress code. As I've said, you wouldn't want to wear it anyway. I just think trying to claim the wearing of denim will lead to Mohicans and string vests makes you sound ludicrous. In my opinion, it would lead to people wearing jeans for a while and then realised they are sub-optimal for golf and moving back towards something more sporty.

As I have said, I’m illustrating a point. You allow jeans, it will not stop at jeans, will it? Stop being deliberately obtuse.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many years ago we changed our rules as a direct result of what was in sale in the pro shop following several complaints about what was for sale in our proshop and why a player could not wear it on the course. (Mainly as a result of what Tiger was wearing).

It is now 'if it is designed to be worn for golf and is sold in a golf shop then it is acceptable to wear it on the course'.
Yup, this is something I definitely see more and more of in dress codes nowadays. But obviously manufacturers are jumping upon that by selling regular t-shirts as golf clothing.

Here we go, these are the t-shirts I bought: CK Golf T-shirts Very nice but nothing to do with golf you'd have thought. Except they say 'Calvin Klein Golf' on the label, so arguably at your club I'd be able to wear this? All I do is show them the label.

Billysboots

Visit site
Whatever. As this thread is heading the way of so many others, I’m off for nine holes. In my shorts with pockets. ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whatever. As this thread is heading the way of so many others, I’m off for nine holes. In my shorts with pockets. ?
That's fine, I get what you mean, just felt it was over-embellished a bit. But to bring it around to my actual topic. What if say Calvin Klein Golf or DKNY Golf brought out some 'golf jeans' in the next clothing line? Clubs that have a 'any golf attire is fine' policy would have to start to allow these and maybe you would start to see jeans on the course.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Why is shirt and tie outdated but you have other standards that must be reached?