Will Manufacturers Drive Dress Code Change in Clubs?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's fine, I get what you mean, just felt it was over-embellished a bit. But to bring it around to my actual topic. What if say Calvin Klein Golf or DKNY Golf brought out some 'golf jeans' in the next clothing line? Clubs that have a 'any golf attire is fine' policy would have to start to allow these and maybe you would start to see jeans on the course.

My club allows anything designed for golf, so Galvin Green ballet tights would be fine.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Obviously clothing should be clean and smart, regardless of whether it's a polo shirt or a T-shirt. But if that's the only argument you've got, you haven't really got an argument as you're arguing for a decent standard of dress.

Why is it only ever polo shirts that are stained & crumpled & never T-shirts... :unsure:
I actually don't care what people wear, I'd drop all codes. I just find it ironic that people throw out the phrase 'standards, standards must be maintained ' etc but codes don't really do that imo. The starting point should be clean clothes but they rarely state that. In fact, that's the only code I'd have, clean clothes. That's a far better standard than no t shirts, cargo shorts, jeans etc. They really have no impact on my golfing experience and I really don't understand why they bother anyone.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Why is shirt and tie outdated but you have other standards that must be reached?

You really are pedantic, aren’t you?

Dress codes change when they become outdated. It doesn’t mean there isn’t still a dress code.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
This is what our club has just sent out to our members. Not everyone will agree with all of it, but they are our requirements. I personally don't have an issue with it, although I think plain T-Shirts or just with the logo aren't an issue.

Dress Code

A polite reminder of the dress code which is available on the Clubs website. The East Renfrewshire Golf Club operates a contemporary and forward thinking dress policy commensurate with a modern day members’ golf club.

On The Course and Practice Putting Area - Members and visitors are asked to ensure that they conform to a good, neat and clean standard of recognised golfing apparel including golf shoes at all times. When changing golf shoes or clothing please use the locker rooms rather than the car park. Examples of inappropriate dress are rugby/football tops, tee shirts without collars or sleeves, denim jeans or cargo pants and track or shell suits.

In The Clubhouse - Members and visitors to any lounge or dining area are asked to ensure that they conform to a good, neat and clean standard of dress. Denim jeans are accepted provided that they are free from rips or tears. Trainers are acceptable. Accompanying children are expected to be dressed in smart casual clothing commensurate with their age. Members and guests are asked to make use of the cloakrooms and locker rooms to hang outdoor wear.

Examples of inappropriate dress are rugby/football tops, tee shirts without collars or sleeves, hooded tops, track or shell suits, waterproofs, wet or soiled or torn clothing, caps/ woolly hats, golf shoes (except when obtaining drinks for consumption on the patio).

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I actually don't care what people wear, I'd drop all codes. I just find it ironic that people throw out the phrase 'standards, standards must be maintained ' etc but codes don't really do that imo. The starting point should be clean clothes but they rarely state that. In fact, that's the only code I'd have, clean clothes. That's a far better standard than no t shirts, cargo shorts, jeans etc. They really have no impact on my golfing experience and I really don't understand why they bother anyone.

Then maybe you need to change the code to cover that aspect, rather than moving to the lowest common denominator in the hope that it will somehow mean the clothes are clean.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do football teams have a dress code? Do cricket, netball, basketball, baseball teams, rowing eights? Pretty well all sports have a 'uniform', why not golf?

Billysboots

Visit site
I'm genuinely curious what you think would happen if there wasn't, and why this would be a bad thing.
So perhaps you could explain?

Really? If you don’t get the need for some sort of standards I’m not about to start spelling it out to you.

But if you’ve got any council run golf centres near you where there are zero rules, pop down and take a look at the surroundings. That should give you a clue. And if you want to spend a grand or more each year to be a member of a club like that I’ll leave it with you.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I must say from a personal point of view dress codes are pretty much a non issue for me.

As stated above we do not have one and I have not really noticed any alteration in standards of dress since we relaxed it and think what the vast and overwhelming majority of people wear would be accepted by virtually every code I have seen but then I'm not particularly observant of dress and it's possible that a few socks may be non complaint at some clubs.

I cannot see that any dress code or lack of it that would stop me visiting or joining a club that I would otherwise wish to play, though I never really wear a jacket and tie these days other than at funerals, weddings etc.
Standards of behaviour are to me far more important than dress. Repairing pitchmarks and divots, raking bunkers , playing promptly and allowing faster golfers to play through when the course is clear ahead and not raising your foice when other golfers are nearby and preparing to play are common courtesies that are sometimes ignored.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s a bit of mix

Pro golfers with manufacturers bring in new items and then it’s up to golf clubs if they allow items

Long socks ( with shorts )at most places was replaced by short socks when they started to appear on shelves

Trainers in club house - driven by modern society same with jeans

Hoodies - that’s come from seeing pro golfers wear them and then they are sold in pro shops

Same with joggers

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Don’t be so naive. Do you really think if you allow denim jeans on the golf course that people won’t push the boundaries? That’s precisely why golf clubs have varying dress codes to begin with - so that there’s a line in the sand.

I'm not naive, your argument is fatious.

Standards always change, usually getting more lax and it never leads to what you are suggesting.

In the 19th century you would have had to wear jacket and tie to play, you said you wear jeans in the Clubhouse, in the 1990s this would have been unthinkable, yet its happened and I'm sure there are no string vests and mohawks.

Secondly you have actually given a reason why you need standards. Other than the cyclical argument of need standards to keep standards.

How would it hurt you or effect you in any way if the group in front were dressed like a Young Ones. As long as they were respectful of the course and other players it makes no difference whatsoever.

And what someone wears makes no difference to how they act, sub groups like anarchist punk rockers aside who I doubt are that into golf. The only thing is you may get annoyed that you have followed the standards and they haven't, but that just comes back to abiding to a set dress code for no logical reason.

Jeans have been around for donkeys years, have been a part of fashion for decades. I have been to 2 Michelin star restaurants, private member clubs in Mayfair, and even the Royal Albert Hall and people have been wearing jeans. I don't see it being a drop in "standards". If you said assess chaps then I could see your argument.

A few years ago I was honestly on the same side of the argument as you, before I realised that I was pro dress code because I had been conditioned by playing with a dress code.

Forget golf, if I said we're going to play a sport, you'll be outside in the elements for 4 hours, walking 5 miles carrying a 10kg weight, and every few minutes doing an explosive movement using all major muscle groups, dress appropriately, I doubt you'd pick chinos and a polo shirt

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Apart from shoes, I avoid golf branded clothing because it is generally over-priced and no different from other equivalent smart casual stuff.
Don't give much of a wotsit about what other people choose to wear and don't see why others should be bothered about what I wear. It won't alter the way you play golf.
Our club has made some effort to modernise its dress code in recent years, but it has still yet to become gender neutral. I see no reason for this.
If ever I mention a gender neutral policy, I inevitably get a question about whether I want to wear a skirt.
Such is the puerile thinking of some that they can not take this seriously in the way that it should be.
A gender neutral dress code would solve a lot of issues with regard to socks, sleeves and the shirt-tucked-in-dilemma.
And even if this leaves the door open for a cis male to choose to wear a skirt - so what? It won't alter the way he plays golf.
I know many ladies who buy a "mens" golf top in small size simply because of availability and wider choice. No one ever notices.

Billysboots

Visit site
I'm not naive, your argument is fatious.

Standards always change, usually getting more lax and it never leads to what you are suggesting.

In the 19th century you would have had to wear jacket and tie to play, you said you wear jeans in the Clubhouse, in the 1990s this would have been unthinkable, yet its happened and I'm sure there are no string vests and mohawks.

Secondly you have actually given a reason why you need standards. Other than the cyclical argument of need standards to keep standards.

How would it hurt you or effect you in any way if the group in front were dressed like a Young Ones. As long as they were respectful of the course and other players it makes no difference whatsoever.

And what someone wears makes no difference to how they act, sub groups like anarchist punk rockers aside who I doubt are that into golf. The only thing is you may get annoyed that you have followed the standards and they haven't, but that just comes back to abiding to a set dress code for no logical reason.

Jeans have been around for donkeys years, have been a part of fashion for decades. I have been to 2 Michelin star restaurants, private member clubs in Mayfair, and even the Royal Albert Hall and people have been wearing jeans. I don't see it being a drop in "standards". If you said assess chaps then I could see your argument.

A few years ago I was honestly on the same side of the argument as you, before I realised that I was pro dress code because I had been conditioned by playing with a dress code.

Forget golf, if I said we're going to play a sport, you'll be outside in the elements for 4 hours, walking 5 miles carrying a 10kg weight, and every few minutes doing an explosive movement using all major muscle groups, dress appropriately, I doubt you'd pick chinos and a polo shirt

Don’t waste your time. I’m not about to enter into an adult discussion with someone who dismisses my point of view as fatuous in their opening paragraph merely because they disagree with it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do football teams have a dress code? Do cricket, netball, basketball, baseball teams, rowing eights? Pretty well all sports have a 'uniform', why not golf?
They aren't comparable as they are team sports requiring team colours or kit to differentiate from their opponents.

Their is no need in golf to wear a kit unless you are playing as a team and want to look like a unit. This is even more the case when you are simply playing socially ie not in a competition. You are playing as an individual, why not be allowed to be one.