Will Manufacturers Drive Dress Code Change in Clubs?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The other day I had an email from County Golf selling plain Calvin Klein t-shirts. I needed some t-shirts so they were ideal, but I wasn't sure why they were branded 'Calvin Klein Golf' when as far as I'm concerned, they're not something you could wear on the course. They were just plain round-neck t-shirts.

Now I've had an email from Scottsdale advertising this shirt with pictures of a chap wearing it along with a glove and holding a golf club, so apparently on the course. Are they really proposing this would meet dress code requirements? Aside from being quite ugly, to me that just looks like a regular t-shirt. We have seen the introduction of collarless polos that still have buttons, which are generally allowed (I have two myself). We've ever seen t-shirts with a slight roll-neck which I already thought was borderline, but Tiger wears them so I guess that makes them ok. Are we going to see the likes of Tyrrell Hatton wearing the above Adidas top on tour now? I'm sure if I wore that down most clubs I'd be turned away.

Things like trainer-style shoes, jogger-style trousers, hoodies, have all been brought in by manufacturers and generally seem to be accepted now. Is it only a matter of time before plain t-shirts are allowed as well?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Short answer, no.

When Tiger was wearing the collarless shirt we received a missive from the club I was at then stating that they were not acceptable and I can see clubs having similar issues with joggers, hoodies etc.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Short answer, no.

When Tiger was wearing the collarless shirt we received a missive from the club I was at then stating that they were not acceptable and I can see clubs having similar issues with joggers, hoodies etc.

how about now, it was quite a few years ago that Tiger was wearing them

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dress codes will evolve as society evolves , they have never been static, but I don't think manufacturers will be the prime driver.
We don't have one at our club just a request that football colours are avoided.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My last club stated that 'any attire classed as golf clothing can be worn'. That left the door open for any new developments, wise move.

Others, my current club included, have an Acceptable and Not Acceptable list which I suspect is getting pushed by the mfrs quite often. A few years ago hoodies would never have been allowed, now they have become acceptable because the pro's wear them. The same happened with the Tiger t shirt.

I agree with the statement, mfrs will push the boundaries. They do that through pro's wearing their gear at tournaments and that soon becomes moved to the Acceptable list. The Not Acceptable list will become smaller and smaller in the coming years.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I once bought a collarless golf shirt from our pro shop and the club secretary wouldn’t allow me to wear it on the course. It was from a golf specific range, too. Work that one out.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I've worked it out. The club secretary was a fool :D.

Am I correct, do I get points? :LOL:

You do. He was retired RAF and the epitome of the word jobsworth. I’ve worn the shirt at any number of golf clubs and never been questioned - only by the secretary at the club where I bought it.

You won’t be surprised to hear I’m no longer a member there ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’d draw the line at denim and vest tops, but plain tee shirts, smart joggers etc, why not?
As long as you look presentable and aren’t acting like an *** around the club, then I don’t see a problem.
That pretty much reflects my feelings. I don't see why we shouldn't be able to wear a plain running top - same material as a most golf tops now, just minus the collar. Also a plain pair of running bottoms / leggings would be ideal in winter. If t-shirts like the Adidas one I posted become acceptable then we're not far off it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You do. He was retired RAF and the epitome of the word jobsworth. I’ve worn the shirt at any number of golf clubs and never been questioned - only by the secretary at the club where I bought it.

You won’t be surprised to hear I’m no longer a member there ?
To question something that was sold in their own pro shop is hilarious. :LOL:

sjw

Visit site
My God, that is awful :sick:
You'd only wear that if you lost a bet
Each to their own, I guess. I'd happily wear that.

I've seen numerous people over the last few weeks wearing no shirt at my course. Normally a bunch of young lads. I guess they send someone in to pay, and then once they've played a couple of holes and get a bit warm, it's taps aff. Annoys me, really, I like the fact that there is a dress code.

My club are very relaxed though, and I think if I turned up in a hoodie, especially one branded Nike or Adidas, no one would say anything. In the clubhouse (well, hotel) after a comp? Maybe it'd be different. The fact that it's a course attached to a hotel, though, maybe makes a difference.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What does that even mean?
Look at this Arsenal supporting ne’er do well
View attachment 43626
:LOL::LOL:
Nah, it means wearing shirts they play in. Round these parts it really means please don't wear Celtic or Rangers tops.
Addendum:
I've just looked at the website, it's actually sports tops that are discouraged but it's mainly the above that they will be bothered about.

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
No dress code at our place, but the vast majority wear polos and trousers or shorts.
You occasionally see people in jeans but if you've ever played in jeans when it's either wet or hot, you'd probably never do it again.