why would there be a Major difference in Club head speed and ball speeds???

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Looking at few of the recent fitting post in the last few weeks has got me thinking. I have no technical knowledge of swing dynamics etc so some help here from those who do.

I was recently at a demo day to try out some clubs and also had a shot with some other manufacturers clubs on a monitor.

On both those occasions, my club head speed was on Av 86 MPH but the ball speed was 109mph. No idea about any of the other info apart from the spin was 3500 to 4000.

Now I’m pretty straight, but I don’t get anything like the distances out on the course quoted on here for slower swing speeds or that I had on either of these monitors one of which was a trackman.

Any idea why this could be?

One thing it has shown me is that my club head speed has increased, as when I was fitted my Mizuno 4 years ago for my mp57 my club head speed was 70 ish.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are you asking why others appear to hit further for similar club speeds, or why you don't get your trackman distances on the course?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is that a 6 iron swing speed? Presuming so, then that is a pretty good swing speed and you should be carrying that 6 iron 170 yards or so, and if your driver speed is proportionate, would be in the 105 range and carry maybe 260 or so.

If you are not getting those distances, then maybe it would be worth investing in a lesson or tow to find a way of applying that power efficiently to the ball. The smash factor (ball speed/swing speed) is not great at 1.26, ans could be 1.35 with a 6 iron, so there seems to be some wasted effort in the swing and some lost yards to be gained.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's all to do with the trampoline effect on the ball when the clubface hits it. This is most obvious with a driver as it's the most upright club and the biggest face. As the clubface hits the ball they both compress, this compression makes the ball leave the clubface at a far higher speed than the club is travelling at.
http://youtu.be/BPJEy00ukbE
to show how extreme a ball compression can be watch this clip, it's amazing.
http://youtu.be/aMqM13EUSKw

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My first thought was smash factor, but then off your handicap I'd imagine you get most of the ball most of the time.

Other things could be too much spin or launching too high.

Also, any distances I quote (unless mentioned otherwise) are summer distances. At the moment I'm probably getting about 160 with my 6 iron.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Is that a 6 iron swing speed? Presuming so, then that is a pretty good swing speed and you should be carrying that 6 iron 170 yards or so, and if your driver speed is proportionate, would be in the 105 range and carry maybe 260 or so.

If you are not getting those distances, then maybe it would be worth investing in a lesson or tow to find a way of applying that power efficiently to the ball. The smash factor (ball speed/swing speed) is not great at 1.26, ans could be 1.35 with a 6 iron, so there seems to be some wasted effort in the swing and some lost yards to be gained.

Yes, Ethan that is with a 6 iron and spot on with the driver speed. Nothing like those distances though. 6 iron 160 in summer and driver about 230 ish carry. I know there are issues with the air temp up here sometimes tha ball just does not travel as far in the air .

I don't think any one up here has acc to a trackman for use with lessons as far as Im aware.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, Ethan that is with a 6 iron and spot on with the driver speed. Nothing like those distances though. 6 iron 160 in summer and driver about 230 ish carry. I know there are issues with the air temp up here sometimes tha ball just does not travel as far in the air .

I don't think any one up here has acc to a trackman for use with lessons as far as Im aware.

Well, you have enough clubhead speed to hit a pretty good ball, so the trick is to find a way to apply it properly to the ball. Part of that is technique and lessons and part may be equipment. Based on your signature, the equipment doesn't look obviously an issue, but a session on a LM with a pro watching would help. You may be one of these players who hits down on the ball a lot and sacrifices distance for accuracy. Charles Howell III is a god example of this. He hits down even with the driver and gives up 20 yards compared to other players with the same swing speed who hit the ball on the up.

Do you get reasonable height on the driver? If it failing to launch properly, then maybe more loft/higher launch shaft may help. PL Red is a notoriously low launch shaft, but it depends on your swing. Likewise, TT DG S300 sounds reasonable with the irons. Have you tried anything else - Project X, KBS etc? If so, did you get more distance/flight with those?

Or you could just move somewhere warm. You will need to skip England for now and head a lot nearer the equator. Dubai might do.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My first thought was smash factor, but then off your handicap I'd imagine you get most of the ball most of the time.

Other things could be too much spin or launching too high.

Also, any distances I quote (unless mentioned otherwise) are summer distances. At the moment I'm probably getting about 160 with my 6 iron.

I was hitting a few ball on a monitor in a shop the other day and quite a few said 190 yard carry!! that just made me doubt the valitity of the machine, unless it was factoring in for down wind;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well, you have enough clubhead speed to hit a pretty good ball, so the trick is to find a way to apply it properly to the ball. Part of that is technique and lessons and part may be equipment. Based on your signature, the equipment doesn't look obviously an issue, but a session on a LM with a pro watching would help. You may be one of these players who hits down on the ball a lot and sacrifices distance for accuracy. Charles Howell III is a god example of this. He hits down even with the driver and gives up 20 yards compared to other players with the same swing speed who hit the ball on the up.

Do you get reasonable height on the driver? If it failing to launch properly, then maybe more loft/higher launch shaft may help. PL Red is a notoriously low launch shaft, but it depends on your swing. Likewise, TT DG S300 sounds reasonable with the irons. Have you tried anything else - Project X, KBS etc? If so, did you get more distance/flight with those?

Or you could just move somewhere warm. You will need to skip England for now and head a lot nearer the equator. Dubai might do.

I do like to hit it low, so the pro launch does its job there, irons wise i have tried a KBS tour against the s300 and it was pretty much the same, maybe will have a look and see who's got a trackman and check smash factor etc.

I am pretty straight though, hard ever miss a fairway and hit most greens apart from the odd pull here and there.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do like to hit it low, so the pro launch does its job there, irons wise i have tried a KBS tour against the s300 and it was pretty much the same, maybe will have a look and see who's got a trackman and check smash factor etc.

I am pretty straight though, hard ever miss a fairway and hit most greens apart from the odd pull here and there.

You are probably one of these players who squeezes the ball out straight, giving up some distance but keeping it in play. Probably better than someone who hits it 20 yards further but can't keep it on the golf course.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You are probably one of these players who squeezes the ball out straight, giving up some distance but keeping it in play. Probably better than someone who hits it 20 yards further but can't keep it on the golf course.

It would appear so, mybe get that set of wilson fat shafts ment inanother post;)

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Patrick. Become a "wrister" like me.
;)

We are still talking golf here ? :mmm:

In lessons in perfect conditions, my 6 will go out to around 180 - 200 yards, on my last lesson I thinned a shot, ball went out to around the 190 mark, I noticed swing speed was 97mph, next shot my teacher told me to slow the swing down, I did and swing speed was 85mph, but the smash was 1.47, I noticed again that the ball went out to around the 190 mark.

I tend to forget this on occasion and let rip, lose control and the ball goes wayward, if I slow down and get a clean strike, the ball goes straight and generally a lot further.