why would there be a Major difference in Club head speed and ball speeds???

A

Alex1975

Would 3500/4000 be rather low spin for a 6 iron? Maybe the ball is dropping out of the sky a little?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are still talking golf here ? :mmm:

In lessons in perfect conditions, my 6 will go out to around 180 - 200 yards, on my last lesson I thinned a shot, ball went out to around the 190 mark, I noticed swing speed was 97mph, next shot my teacher told me to slow the swing down, I did and swing speed was 85mph, but the smash was 1.47, I noticed again that the ball went out to around the 190 mark.

I tend to forget this on occasion and let rip, lose control and the ball goes wayward, if I slow down and get a clean strike, the ball goes straight and generally a lot further.

Something's not right, as you can't get a smash of 1.47 with a 6i! Ball-park figure is 1.3 to 1.35.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
On both those occasions, my club head speed was on Av 86 MPH but the ball speed was 109mph. No idea about any of the other info apart from the spin was 3500 to 4000.

Now I’m pretty straight, but I don’t get anything like the distances out on the course quoted on here for slower swing speeds or that I had on either of these monitors one of which was a trackman.

Any idea why this could be?

I've come to this thread a bit late, but 86mph club speed with a 6i is healthy. The smash factor, based on 109 ball speed, is 1.267. This is a bit below the normal but pretty good. There's certainly room for more efficiency via lessons, etc.

The spin is a curious one. Spin rate is lower than it should be. At 5-6k rpm is the ideal. Perhaps the AoA/ball position needs a tweak backwards in the stance?!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've come to this thread a bit late, but 86mph club speed with a 6i is healthy. The smash factor, based on 109 ball speed, is 1.267. This is a bit below the normal but pretty good. There's certainly room for more efficiency via lessons, etc.

The spin is a curious one. Spin rate is lower than it should be. At 5-6k rpm is the ideal. Perhaps the AoA/ball position needs a tweak backwards in the stance?!

I could have got that mixed up with driver speed tbh 5/6 could be about right. was paying too much attention to the ball flight arc if i;m honest, pretty pictures and all that.

only trouble is lessons, the guy at the club is great for tweeks but, not for more indepth swing mech.

Mybe take smiffy advice and try some wrist action;)

A

Alex1975

I could have got that mixed up with driver speed tbh 5/6 could be about right. was paying too much attention to the ball flight arc if i;m honest, pretty pictures and all that.

only trouble is lessons, the guy at the club is great for tweeks but, not for more indepth swing mech.

Mybe take smiffy advice and try some wrist action;)

If he told you to use lotion would you? :)

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Something's not right, as you can't get a smash of 1.47 with a 6i! Ball-park figure is 1.3 to 1.35.

I've not got another lesson for a couple of weeks, but I'll take note of the figures, it may be my memory, the monitor not setup correct or something else.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Oh, you were being seriouse!!

Ok then, fill me in then, so to speak.

Dont listen to that Putz, he doesnt know his smash factor from his X factor

To achieve the highest smash factor you need to hit it better.
You need to hit the sweet spot with a good swing path, a good angle of club face and a good angle of attack.
Once you start missing the sweet spot or giving it a glancing blow, you will not get the maximum transfer of speed from the club head to the ball.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've not got another lesson for a couple of weeks, but I'll take note of the figures, it may be my memory, the monitor not setup correct or something else.

It may be correct mate. If it is that is some seriously big hitting. I am tempted to say that it is not set up correctly, if it is you must be hitting your driver 300+............:thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We are still talking golf here ? :mmm:

In lessons in perfect conditions, my 6 will go out to around 180 - 200 yards, on my last lesson I thinned a shot, ball went out to around the 190 mark, I noticed swing speed was 97mph, next shot my teacher told me to slow the swing down, I did and swing speed was 85mph, but the smash was 1.47, I noticed again that the ball went out to around the 190 mark.

I tend to forget this on occasion and let rip, lose control and the ball goes wayward, if I slow down and get a clean strike, the ball goes straight and generally a lot further.

your not using wilson fatshafts irons are you?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's all to do with the trampoline effect on the ball when the clubface hits it. This is most obvious with a driver as it's the most upright club and the biggest face. As the clubface hits the ball they both compress, this compression makes the ball leave the clubface at a far higher speed than the club is travelling at.
http://youtu.be/BPJEy00ukbE
to show how extreme a ball compression can be watch this clip, it's amazing.
http://youtu.be/aMqM13EUSKw

There's a couple of misconceptions here. Firstly, the 'trampoline' effect doesn't actually add any speed, just lower the reduction. That's what the .830/,860 CoR is all about - 83% and 86% retention of energy, so still 17%/14% lost.

The major reason that the ball comes off faster is simply physics - as ever. Because the Driver is heavier (greater mass) than the ball - head is about 200gms versus the ball's 46, in an ideal world a Driver smash factor should be almost 3 (allowing for the Cor, but nothing for shaft weight/flex during impact). However a large amount of energy is 'lost' as heat during impact/compression and the production of spin. In fact, the less a ball compresses at impact, the less energy tends to be lost so the faster it will tend to be - think Molitor/Pinnacle versus Balatas or even 60 compression Range balls.

Trampoline effect was another wonderful marketing term to twist the loss of energy at impact to an apparent magic gain! The extra spring that can be gained on a real trampoline is created by adding a well timed addition of energy by using muscles.

Last edited:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
It may be correct mate. If it is that is some seriously big hitting. I am tempted to say that it is not set up correctly, if it is you must be hitting your driver 300+............:thup:

It has been known that my drives do head out toward that mark. At present I wouldn't know, I've not hit my driver since December, been practicing my wedges and technique to groove a decent swing path. It's my birthday coming up so I've booked a driver fitting, HID has promised me a new club, yippee :) So I'll have new big toy come the end of the month and good feeling of how far I'll be hitting it.

This would worry me if i had a 20 yard difference when hitting an iron.

I loose around a club length during the winter with the cold weather. I generally hit a 6 iron 165-170 in the summer.

I know the yardage spacing of my clubs and 180 to 200 is my 7 to 6 iron

your not using wilson fatshafts irons are you?

No, not Fatshafts, my irons are setup with Traction 85 stiff flex, golfpride corded multi compound grips with three layers of tape.

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Is that a 6 iron swing speed? Presuming so, then that is a pretty good swing speed and you should be carrying that 6 iron 170 yards or so, and if your driver speed is proportionate, would be in the 105 range and carry maybe 260 or so.

If you are not getting those distances, then maybe it would be worth investing in a lesson or tow to find a way of applying that power efficiently to the ball. The smash factor (ball speed/swing speed) is not great at 1.26, ans could be 1.35 with a 6 iron, so there seems to be some wasted effort in the swing and some lost yards to be gained.

went on a monitor yesterday,117 swing speed (driver) 199 - 206 yrds

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
We shall see, I'm sure the smash was 1.47, but as I have written, it could be my memory, could be the monitor is setup up wrong, we'll know in a couple of weeks when I have my next lesson.

No problem... here's some smash factors from the PGA Tour... if you can better them then that's pretty well done by you!!

2009-Tour-Averages.JPG

NB. A 1.38 smash factor with a 6-iron gives them a CARRY of 183yds :p

Last edited: