Why do you play golf?

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
the outdoors,the ever changing settings and conditions,the challenge,the glorious feedback of a flushed iron,the banter with your mates as he/me/they can't get out of the bunker,the competition,the xmas present single malt in my hip flask in my bag,watching the delight on my 10 year olds face as we high five when he catches one just right before we retire for a game of pool and a coke,summer evenings when you have the course to yourself,hearing the fizz off the club face and marvelling at the ballflight standing behind a pro at the Open,birdies,hard fought pars you had no right to make,sitting in my back garden with a beer regripping my clubs,I could go on and on ....my name is Luke and I'm a golf addict

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play for those all too rare moments when I do something right!
The satisfaction of a long, straight drive lives in the mind for a long time after.
The tension, followed by the elation of watching a long putt work its way to the hole and dropping is a feeling you dont experience in day to day life.
The sense of achievement after executing a very short chip over a bunker and finishing near the hole. You have controlled your body to an extraordinary degree.
Add in a glorious day, and some banter, what could be finer?

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Everything about it is addictive. All stems from some of the best feelings in sport perfect iron strike, smashed drive or sinking a long breaking putt. Amazing feeling when you set a new lowest score or win a comp. But it's also in depth. I love learning more about the game, technique, courses, new equipment. I have met some life long friends who were complete strangers a while back. Love having something to dedicate myself to and trying to get better

D

Deleted member 21258

I play mainly for that shot that gives me an adrenalin buzz(or fun for another description) and then secondary is that it is a game against yourself/playing with the family.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I enjoy the challenge of the game and trying to be the best I can be. And also as SwingsitlikeHogan says it's what I do. I don't really have any other hobbies to take up my time, this is what I like and it's what I dedicate my spare time too.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The answer for me has changed.

I tried playing a few times in my 20's and couldn't break 60 round a 9 hole par 3. Mate was an account and wanted to play a few works do's but we were equally useless.

Then 4 years ago went out with bro in law for my bday over xmas and was just as bad. 2 hours of ridicule and was ready to pack it in. His mates asked why he didn't give me any help (he played off 20) he said he was restoring family honour as I beat him at cluedo and monopoly lol

That gave me incentive to improve. 2 years of sporadic golf and I had started to be able to get near him, he'd probably win 60/40 by start of 2016. Last year was first year my kids were at school full time and I set about improvement. Dropped handicap from 26 to 18 and still going. Probably 90/10 in my favour now.

So, I started playing to beat my bro in law. But now I play with the hope of getting to 9!

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because I enjoy dressing up like a cross between a 70's pimp and a clown, swearing and cursing at inanimate objects, flailing my arms around like a demented octopus being given electro shock treatment, but more over because I enjoy the craic, the micky taking, the exercise, the views, the laughs, getting to play different courses, getting to meet some of you lot.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Actually one reason I was encouraged when young - and why my wife was keen for my son to take it up - is that golf instills in you the very important life values of honesty, courtesy, caring and respect.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I started playing at 20 because I knew that I would not be able to play rugby, basketball and cricket past retirement age and thought that it would be sensible to get plenty of practice. I retired at 56 and am still playing cricket but I was right that I needed plenty of practice.

I now get to visit some great places and meet some great people through golf. It all helps keep me fit too.

D

Deleted member 15344

Because of days like H4H , because of trips to Blackmoor , because of rounds with brilliant people , because of trips to the south east coast , NE , SW and all over the country , because has enabled to meet many new friends and enjoy great days out , for the banter I have with the swindles i play in and for the feeling you get when you nail a drive , put a Iron next to the pin , sink a monster putt and picking up a trophy at the end of the year and that HC dropping down.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Because of days like H4H , because of trips to Blackmoor , because of rounds with brilliant people , because of trips to the south east coast , NE , SW and all over the country , because has enabled to meet many new friends and enjoy great days out , for the banter I have with the swindles i play in and for the feeling you get when you nail a drive , put a Iron next to the pin , sink a monster putt and picking up a trophy at the end of the year and that HC dropping down.

You forgot to mention the dozens of holes in one you've had too :rant:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do I play? Simple, my dad got me into it from a young age and I thank him for that.

But not until I read a statement years ago that I understood why I love playing this game.

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented.