WHS Handicap Index

Swango1980

Visit site
USGA and The R&A have always had close links they (combined) have set the rules of playing for as along I have played.

The US and a lot of other countries worldwide have used the slope rating system for years. By comparison CONGU based handicapping is the system used in a fairly small number of countries.
And, to add to that, USA is the greatest country in the world in every aspect (based on information from Donald Trump). So, it makes sense.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
USGA and The R&A have always had close links they (combined) have set the rules of playing for as along I have played.

The US and a lot of other countries worldwide have used the slope rating system for years. By comparison CONGU based handicapping is the system used in a fairly small number of countries.
Yep know all that and don't disagree, but doesn't seem to answer the question asked at all.

https://ncrdb.usga.org

There's even a shop!

It's a "National" database, so guess we all just accept we're part of the nation of the US of A ?

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do we know why a world system has to be US led, branded, defaulted?
Because the 'USGA Course Rating System' and 'Slope System' are trade marks or service marks of the USGA. And the systems are copyrighted by the USGA. The ncrdb is part of the USGA and has simply absorbed the data from the rest of the world. Saving the need for everyone else to set up their own databases with interfaces between them.

The R&A has never previously been involved with handicapping. Apart from Canada who used the USGA handicapping system, the rest of the (R&A) world had 5 different handicapping systems run by various national authorities

BubbaP

Visit site
Because the 'USGA Course Rating System' and 'Slope System' are trade marks or service marks of the USGA. And the systems are copyrighted by the USGA. The ncrdb is part of the USGA and has simply absorbed the data from the rest of the world. Saving the need for everyone else to set up their own databases with interfaces between them.

The R&A has never previously been involved with handicapping. Apart from Canada who used the USGA handicapping system, the rest of the (R&A) world had 5 different handicapping systems run by various national authorities
Thanks. The bit in bold is perhaps contradicted by the below:

"The WHS is jointly governed worldwide by the USGA and The R&A and encompasses both the Rules of Handicapping and the Course Rating System (formerly the USGA Course Rating and Slope System)."

I guess in reality it comes down to money.

Just a real shame IMO they didn't take the opportunity for a bit of re-branding/re-skinning. Oh, and make it work properly on mobile devices.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh, and make it work properly on mobile devices.
That of course is down to the software companies who made bids and won the licences to write the software for a single system specification. From what I hear all suppliers have different glitch manifestations.
Neither the USGA not the R&A have had a hand in writing the conversion and interface software but by all accounts the WHS itself is running smoothly once it gets the data from the game management systems. Mobile devices etc do not have direct contact with the WHS database. But they certainly seem to have problems with competition management.

BubbaP

Visit site
That of course is down to the software companies who made bids and won the licences to write the software for a single system specification. From what I hear all suppliers have different glitch manifestations.
Neither the USGA not the R&A have had a hand in writing the conversion and interface software but by all accounts the WHS itself is running smoothly once it gets the data from the game management systems. Mobile devices etc do not have direct contact with the WHS database. But they certainly seem to have problems with competition management.
To be clear I was referring to this:
https://ncrdb.usga.org/
Were you?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be clear I was referring to this:
https://ncrdb.usga.org/
Were you?
Not exclusively but taking that system specifically it was built specifically for US courses. It has only recently been extended to include the RoW. More recently it has been absorbed in the USGA web site and Trade Marked by them. It's therefore not unreasonable to use the USGA logo. The WHS itself is branded and logo-ed by both the R&A and USGA

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My club is running a zoom members briefing on WHS next week. Should be interesting...and challenging for those doing the briefing.?

We invited members to submit any queries via email - so far I have had just 3. I do question if this is simply because loads are not reading all our briefing notices and our website briefings or if we are doing a good job. We have not relied on the 'Know the Score' posters but have used the logo to produce our own, more detailed, posters.