Who invented count backs?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The guy who thought up count backs needs to be shot.

I have an annual bet with two friends regarding medal points. In each medal, the top 20 scores get points from 20 to 1 according to position, and the winner (with the most points) at the end of the season gets a horrid green nylon blazer, and his name on a board.

Now I am not likely to ever win this, so we three have a £20 side bet, to keep it interesting, and the guy with the most points at the end of the year gets to spend all the cash (and sometimes more) on beer, and have bragging rights for the coming season.

Now I was leading the bet, til this weekend. However, two of us shot net 75s this weekend (not as bad as it sounds as CSS was up from 72 to 74), but due to the count back system, GB gets 7 points, and I only get 1. This means he is now in front again.

Annoying. Especially as the front nine is the harder nine (even though I messed up the easier nine, this is still the case).

I know it can't be changed, and it is what it is, but still annoying.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There's nothing worse than losing on countback, I'd rather lose by 5 than on a countback, even if you win it feels slightly hollow somehow. Difficult to see how else it can be done though.

B

birdieman

Penalty putt-out on the practice putting green in full view of the clubhouse bar!
Basically start with a 2 footer, then move back a foot each time until someone misses.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I think they're a stupid idea too, what does it matter who shot the best back 9? At my club the board competitions are decided by an 18 hole play off if the scores are tied.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Penalty putt-out on the practice putting green in full view of the clubhouse bar!
Basically start with a 2 footer, then move back a foot each time until someone misses.

But what happens when the guy who teed off first ties with the guy who teed off last and has long gone. Also this is ok for who wins but how do you seperate the 5 guys who tie for 5th place etc?

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As a society secretary its a godsend to have a system to separate players when there are prizes at stake.
Have on occassion counted back to the last hole to find a winner.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's nothing worse than losing on countback, I'd rather lose by 5 than on a countback, even if you win it feels slightly hollow somehow. Difficult to see how else it can be done though.

A putting contest on the practice putting green perhaps to decide drawn places. All done before start of play & recorded down.

I hate countback too.

hellbunker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
as annoying as they may be...its probably the fairest and quickest method of deciding a winner. Generally you will have warmed up and you'll be playing the "best" of your golf. One idea might be to take the mean of the following(FIR+GIR+PPR)/strokes)*(windspeed during round/mins of sunlight)= winner!!!!...or you could just have a countback....