• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry - but you are quite wrong (and I guess I'm rarely this adamant). It is very simple - you don't stand wherever you deem to be OK - you stand where accepted convention tells you to stand. Some PPs may feel awkward about asking you to move - especially if you don't really know each other or if your PP is new to the game. You should absolutely not wait to be asked to move, and not think that things are OK for the other player if you are not asked. It is simple. What is the problem?

Passion,I like passion.
I think if you watch the pros on the tele,or live they do stand infront,but
maybe a little bit to the right ,say about 1 or 2 oclock.
This to me seems a sensible place.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Haha. The OP would make Colin Montgomery look reasonable whilst he assembled people in the correct positions.

Priceless thread this one, hopefully its not stamped on and can run for a good while yet.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry - but you are quite wrong (and I guess I'm rarely this adamant). It is very simple - you don't stand wherever you deem to be OK - you stand where accepted convention tells you to stand. Some PPs may feel awkward about asking you to move - especially if you don't really know each other or if your PP is new to the game. You should absolutely not wait to be asked to move, and not think that things are OK for the other player if you are not asked. It is simple. What is the problem?

Apologies but i dont understand what you mean by "accepted convention"

I stand where i think i am not in the way , i play alot of opens so end up playing with strangers, ive no idea where they want me to stand , i will stand off the teebox just behind the tee markers (where possible to do so) so you should have your back to me and i shouldnt be in your way (is this the accepted convention ?) if your not happy with where im standing ask me to move , if you dont ask i will not know im putting you off , so its as much your fault as mine ..

Last edited:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tournaments I've been to the pros stand at the back corners of the tee - not directly opposite the person swinging the club

Of course you have,that's why I said 1 or 2 oclock,not directly opposite.
This also depends on the size of the tee as well.
You watch next time on small tees,they are actually very close,caddies as well.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I want my PP to stand somewhere where they can get a good view of my tee shot. In the winter especially with the low sun, that is behind me.

I want to find my ball for my 2nd shot and so does my PP so I do the same for him. If that's wrong, shoot us both!! :whistle:

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another 'entertaining' thread.

I stand diagonally behind my right-handed FC (FC a$$ being 6 0'clock, stood at 4:30 precisely*...), yards back so as not to have any part of my lower body parts in his/her vision. Nobody has ever taught me this, no one needs too.

Someone standing opposite me would not bother me in the slightest but i would think it unusual but as long as i couldn't see them at address, so what.

*before i leave for a round I tune my watch in with the speaking clock :whistle:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
As far as I am concerned, stand where you want and if I am not happy I will let you know and ask you to move. Same with noise, if you are russling around in your bag then fine but if I find it distracting then I will ask you to keep it down a bit (all politely of course). The only thing I do prefer (and I have no right to require it) is that everyone try and keep an eye on each others shots to make it quicker and easier to find one that goes astray. It can frustrate me when I make an effort to get a line on everyone elses tee shots and help find all the wayward ones only to find that if I hit one a bit off line (Understatement) and find that everyone else in the group was busy doing something else and not looking.

D

Deleted member 15344

When I play I stand where I believe it to be ok - if I was playing in your group that's exactly what I would do unless a FC asked me to stand somewhere else - that is as far as I'm aware how 99% of golfers act on the tee.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tiger standing behind Phil
images (1).jpg

Players standing behind Phil
images (2).jpg

Players\Caddies standing both sides of Tiger
images.jpg

Of course there are photos of players\caddies standing in other positions but there certainly doesn't seem to be a well known tradition or etiquette.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
In the grand scheme of things..... Does it really matter where people stand?

Seriously!

If you're having a round of golf with me, you can stand where ever you like. My focus isn't on where my playing partners/competitors are standing. My focus is on the ball and playing my shot.

Why would you be remotely bothered where people stand? I don't understand the premise of the question as to why it matters?

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
So what do you do after your Right Handed PP has played and before your Left Handed one tees up?

You move - I do - it's not difficult!

Really? For me, it's all dictated by where your golf bag is... my course has a little path up one side of each tee along which you pull your trolly... I put my bag down or stop pushing my trolly on this path and I wait by it until it's my turn. This path is mostly facing a right hander, but sometimes not... when it isn't facing the golfer, nobody ups sticks and moves to the other side of the tee.... they'd look batty if they did.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
In the grand scheme of things..... Does it really matter where people stand?

Seriously!

If you're having a round of golf with me, you can stand where ever you like. My focus isn't on where my playing partners/competitors are standing. My focus is on the ball and playing my shot.

Why would you be remotely bothered where people stand? I don't understand the premise of the question as to why it matters?

your just an inconsiderate whelp you are :angry: