• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Different strokes for different roles as they say. I'm in the group that doesn't care where others stand as long as I have room to swing. But I do tend to stand at the back of the teeing area looking down the fairway while my partners hit. Didn't realise this was a problem as never been asked to move but would have no problem with it if someone asked me to move to somewhere else.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not going to stand anywhere a fellow competitor is uncomfortable with - I'll move if they want too - just can't see why where someone stands has to be so rigid in some peoples minds.

When we play mixed opens I get annoyed with my missus when she rigidly stands opposite the person hitting the ball from their fairway/rough shots - in that situation you should be on your way to your own ball so you are ready to play as soon as they've hit their shot - she says that's what all the ladies do.

Very true couldnt agrue with any of that ..

As for the highlighted bit , had to hand a scorecard over on the 5th hole one day for a comment just like that regarding a rule , head scratcher :D

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Different strokes for different roles as they say. I'm in the group that doesn't care where others stand as long as I have room to swing. But I do tend to stand at the back of the teeing area looking down the fairway while my partners hit. Didn't realise this was a problem as never been asked to move but would have no problem with it if someone asked me to move to somewhere else.

This.

If you want me to see where your ball went, this is the best place. If you want me to move, fine, but I may not be able to help much.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is a generation thread, old school pointing out what is just plain good golfing manners, you are giving thought and respect to your playing partners.
In my day virtually everyone did that.

Nowadays it seems to be all about MEEEEEEEEE.[or my group]
Don't wave faster players through, yell at the top of your voice across two fairways, stand on the green for a 2 minute discussion after the last person has holed out, etc etc.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a generation thread, old school pointing out what is just plain good golfing manners, you are giving thought and respect to your playing partners.

Don't wave faster players through, yell at the top of your voice across two fairways, stand on the green for a 2 minute discussion after the last person has holed out, etc etc.

Doon me old mucker thats a bit sweeping and a bit wrong if i may say so .. im mid 40's i play with juniors and older member , higher and lower handicaps but i dont think i could section it off by generation mate..
Some of it may be down to inexperience , most of it down to awareness and respect and neither of these can be attributed to age in my opinion

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk

I'm 55 so it's not exactly old school v young bucks - quiet and still are what matter - I don't see any evidence of younger people being less polite or aware of etiquette at my place (or indeed anywhere I've played in Scotland)

So to my point about where do you stand for their next shot - when they are hitting from fairway/rough? opposite them again?

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
My vision although good is quite 'slow', to enable me to see my opponents/partners ball well I need to be behind the ball, I ALWAYS ask my opponent if this is OK prior to taking up position, if he has a problem with it that's fine and I move but explain that I might not spot his ball quite so easily.

D

Deleted member 15344

That's a big sweeping statement

Seen the older generation do a lot of what you suggest - if anything they are the worst at not letting people through and taking their time but then I see younger people do it.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I think it depends when you took up the game, and who taught it you. I started when I was much younger and was shown the ropes by adults as mentioned above. 99% of the time I stand in the same place as you, as I was taught to by the grumpy old gits at my club growing up.

That said, I don't think it is the biggest thing in the world. If you aren't comfortable with where someone is stood, ask them to move, simple. People getting het up about things like this is the sort of thing which gives golf a stuffy name and potentially puts people off when they're starting the game.

Suggest to them politely where you'd rather they stand if they are somewhere which is uncomfortable, or put up with it and hit your shot. Either way, ranting on a golf forum about people being rude or self centered or ignorant etc aint solving all that much.

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Biggest load of bollox I have read in ages......and I read all Homer's posts!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Really? So unless you stand facing the player teeing off you are not showing respect to him? That's just nonsense. No-one has ever told me where I should stand, just to be quiet, still and not too close. If the player asks me to move I'll move, but it's never happened yet.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I really couldnt care where people stand, Im a handicap golfer who can mis-hit it no matter if there is noise, silence or both.
I think standing opposite me is more likely to distract though as it is in your periphery where behind is out of sight.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't care where anyone stands, i'm concentrating on the ball and only the ball.

I 'm even used to guys talking all the way though as well, as one of my playing partners does this the whole way around anyway;)

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

nonsense. the old school are every bit as bad with their ettiquette as the new school, or is that because the new school are teaching them bad habits...:rolleyes:

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Biggest load of bollox I have read in ages......and I read all Homer's posts!

I agree it seems a bitter twisted rant to me by someone who craves a return to the 'good old days' when it was how I like it. No generation is any worse than the other. Personally I do not like people standing in my line of sight but would kick up a stink about it

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
nonsense. the old school are every bit as bad with their ettiquette as the new school, or is that because the new school are teaching them bad habits...:rolleyes:

Would agree with this. There isn't one group in particular that are horrendously worse than others.

That said, I've been let through by a hell of lot more people under the age of 60 than I have those over.

El Bandito

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Blimey! I was never taught to stand anywhere...my default is to keep very still wherever I am. I have a regular partner who likes me to stand behind his line as my eyesight is pretty good and his is pretty poor. Generally - I am not bothered where others stand, but if they are a little close this can put me off. If it does, I just ask them to move. No stress.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
When you say behind I take it you mean looking down the line? I am OK with them to stand behind my back as it were depending what way we are facing off the teee. Just not in my peripheral vision.
My feelings exactly, though it may be a lack of concentration on my part.
My peripheral vision seems to be watching and waiting for any movement while I'm making a shot.