• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
The OP talks about peripheral vision, surely it is more likely for someone to catch your eye if they are standing in front of you than behind?

Personally I don't think this is anything to do with peripheral vision, etiquette, manners or anything else, some people are obviously just need to be a little bit less concerned about where people are standing and a little bit more concerned about the shot in hand.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm 55 so it's not exactly old school v young bucks - quiet and still are what matter - I don't see any evidence of younger people being less polite or aware of etiquette at my place (or indeed anywhere I've played in Scotland)

So to my point about where do you stand for their next shot - when they are hitting from fairway/rough? opposite them again?

Quiet and still is what's important to me too - and is what i try to do. I've got out out of the habit of standing opposite the player as a couple of my regular playing partners are/were leftys! I've no problem if anyone asks me to stand somewhere else.

It's more important to be aware of where players are - and who is due to play - when playing from places other than the teeing area imo - because of possible distraction/disturbance and danger!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Oh good grief - I go away for 2hrs and 15mins and come back to this...

There seems to be a pretty widely held view on this matter that if I stand where I think it is OK fcor me to stand - keep quiet and don't move - then all is OK and that's all that matters. And if someone asks me to move then they are being a bit silly/daft/'old gittish'

Honesty to goodness - you guys need to understand something. When playing golf with one or more others what you should do in very, very simple matters such as this is not actually in any way about what you deem to be OK. And you need to be absolutely clear about that especially when playing with others whom you don't know.

This is really very simple. The etiquette for where you stand (by the tee) when a PP is teeing off is long established - and might I suggest was established for very good reasons - because that is what was deemed best in general for most players. And that is it.

Why the need for a discussion about what you or I think should be OK for a player teeing off? It is simple. Stand where tradition and etiquette demands unless it is impractical for you to do so or the player requests otherwise of you. This is not difficult - and as Doon says it is clear to me that this does seem to be a generational thing. Yes there will be under-55s who understand and follow the accepted way. However you will, I suspect, not get that many over-55s who - if they have played for some time - will think that it is OK for them to stand wherever they want as long as they are quiet and don't move. The difference is that the former understand that how you behave on a golf course is really not at all about 'me' - how you behave is almost totally in the context of respect for your player companions.

For as long as I read stuff like 'surely if I...'. and 'what's he bothered about if I...' then I know folk just are not getting it.

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

There seems to be a pretty widely held view on this matter that if I stand where I think it is OK fcor me to stand - keep quiet and don't move - then all is OK and that's all that matters. And if someone asks me to move then they are being a bit silly/daft/'old gittish'

Honesty to goodness - you guys need to understand something. When playing golf with one or more others what you should do in very, very simple matters such as this is not actually in any way about what you deem to be OK. And you need to be absolutely clear about that especially when playing with others whom you don't know.

This is really very simple. The etiquette for where you stand (by the tee) when a PP is teeing off is long established - and might I suggest was established for very good reasons - because that is what was deemed best in general for most players. And that is it.

Why the discussion about what you are I think should be OK for a player teeing off. It is simple. Stand where tradition and etiquette demands unless it is impractical for you to do so or the player requests otherwise of you. This is not difficult - and as Doon says it is clear to me that this does seem to be a generational thing. Yes there will be under-55s who understand and follow the accepted way. However you will, I suspect, not get that many over-55s who - if they have played for some time - will think that it is OK for them to stand wherever they want as long as they are quiet and don't move. The difference is that the former understand that how you behave on a golf course is really not at all about 'me' - how you behave is almost totally in the context of respect for your player companions.

For as long as I read stuff like 'surely if I...'. and 'what's he bothered about if I...' then I know folk just are not getting it.

You started it :ears:

Exactly what is this etiquette and tradition you are talking about because the R&A don't mention it, all they say is...

No Disturbance or Distraction
You should always show consideration for other players on the course and take care not to not disturb their play by moving, talking or making unnecessary noise.

You should also ensure that any electronic devices taken onto the course don't distract other players.

Only tee your ball up when it's your turn to play and remember not to stand close to the ball, directly behind it, or directly behind the hole, when a player is about to swing.

No mention where to stand except not directly behind the ball. I have never in my golfing life been told I should stand facing the player and it seems I am not alone, I have also never been asked to move from where I stand. Of course, If someone asked me to move I would move and think nothing of it but it has yet to happen.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Surely this (the bold above) is what it is all about. I will stand wherever I deem to be OK and then if a FC would prefer me to stand somewhere else then they can ask me to move and I have no problem with that. I have posted before about switching to a yellow/orange ball as I can't follow the flight of a white one very well. If I stand right at the back of the tee looking down the fairway I am more able to see my FC's ball flight. However everyone has the right to ask me to move to wherever they would prefer me to be standing.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No mention where to stand except not directly behind the ball.

Surely it would be much better advice not to stand directly in front of the ball. Although with the way I play the game that might be the safest place to be 99% of the time. There's always the chance I'll hit a straight one but not very often.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Surely it would be much better advice not to stand directly in front of the ball. Although with the way I play the game that might be the safest place to be 99% of the time. There's always the chance I'll hit a straight one but not very often.

:D I guess even the R&A leave some things to common sense

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a simplistic view because it is simple, don't stand too close, don't move and shut up.

Have you swallowed a sensible pill.
Spot on.

Myself personally it doesn't effect me at all,noise,moving etc.
However I think all of golf etiquette should be taught at a young age,children coming through the system.
Imo its not a difficult.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely this (the bold above) is what it is all about. I will stand wherever I deem to be OK and then if a FC would prefer me to stand somewhere else then they can ask me to move and I have no problem with that. I have posted before about switching to a yellow/orange ball as I can't follow the flight of a white one very well. If I stand right at the back of the tee looking down the fairway I am more able to see my FC's ball flight. However everyone has the right to ask me to move to wherever they would prefer me to be standing.

Sorry - but you are quite wrong (and I guess I'm rarely this adamant). It is very simple - you don't stand wherever you deem to be OK - you stand where accepted convention tells you to stand. Some PPs may feel awkward about asking you to move - especially if you don't really know each other or if your PP is new to the game. You should absolutely not wait to be asked to move, and not think that things are OK for the other player if you are not asked. It is simple. What is the problem?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Why the need for a discussion about what you or I think should be OK for a player teeing off? It is simple. Stand where tradition and etiquette demands unless it is impractical for you to do so or the player requests otherwise of you. This is not difficult - and as Doon says it is clear to me that this does seem to be a generational thing. Yes there will be under-55s who understand and follow the accepted way. However you will, I suspect, not get that many over-55s who - if they have played for some time - will think that it is OK for them to stand wherever they want as long as they are quiet and don't move. The difference is that the former understand that how you behave on a golf course is really not at all about 'me' - how you behave is almost totally in the context of respect for your player companions.

So what do you do after your Right Handed PP has played and before your Left Handed one tees up?

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This thread has cheered me up.

Some utter pish in it.

Good work Opening Poster.....not sure how long it took you to think the subject up but well done.

Unbelievable.:)

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
'If' I ever decide to go to a Forum Meet, can I ask that whoever organises the groups can I please be paired up with Swingsitlikehogan and Doon Frae Troon - I think I could make it into a most enyoyable and entertaining 5 and half hour round :D