• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

mefromhere

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I stand wherever the walk from the green to the next tee takes you. If you get put off by somebody standing in the wrong place then I think you're just looking for excuses before you've even swung. Some people's confidence must be very low off the tee for this to matter

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its much better when playing partners stand totally out of your view when you are taking a shot imo. That leaves the player taking the shot alone with it.

I think people standing directly facing somebody teeing off is insane and much more likely to distract the player. I cant see how standing in a players view makes any sense at all.

D

Deleted member 15344

By old school I mean golfers who have been playing since they were youngsters not the jonny come lately seniors who I will agree are probably the worst offenders.

The worst offender I have come across is a guy who has been a member of the club for over 40 years - poor attitude on a golf course

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Etiquette has nothing to do with it. I'll stand wherever I feel safe. I don't have any intention of being assaulted by a stray golf ball and my safety is far more important than any amount of etiquette you might care to mention so if that means standing behind someone as they swing ... then so be it.

Last edited:

Johnny Bravo

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Its much better when playing partners stand totally out of your view when you are taking a shot imo. That leaves the player taking the shot alone with it.

I think people standing directly facing somebody teeing off is insane and much more likely to distract the player. I cant see how standing in a players view makes any sense at all.

Remember that when your are addressing the ball you are not looking directly in front of you or at least most folk will not as they should have picked a line and then should be only looking at the ball so I agree with the OP and as with most of the others who have agreed with him.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Methinks a thread is called for where we discuss getting fitted for a standing position while waiting to tee-off !!

(I believe an incorrect stance position can reduce your FC's driving distance by up to 4 yards)

D

Deleted member 15344

Methinks a thread is called for where we discuss getting fitted for a standing position while waiting to tee-off !!

(I believe an incorrect stance position can reduce your FC's driving distance by up to 4 yards)

Average driving distance down to 350 yards then :D

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Remember that when your are addressing the ball you are not looking directly in front of you or at least most folk will not as they should have picked a line and then should be only looking at the ball so I agree with the OP and as with most of the others who have agreed with him.

The OP talks about peripheral vision, surely it is more likely for someone to catch your eye if they are standing in front of you than behind?

Personally I don't think this is anything to do with peripheral vision, etiquette, manners or anything else, some people are obviously just need to be a little bit less concerned about where people are standing and a little bit more concerned about the shot in hand.

EuanRoss

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Walk to tee, stand on near side of it, whether that be at the back of or facing partners, stand up, hit ball, repeat.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of my regularly playing partners is left handed, If I were playing in a 4 ball with him and 2 other right handed players, I was last off and my left handed friend was second, are the advocates for standing facing the player playing suggesting that I stand facing the first player to play, cross the tee box so as to be facing my left handed friend when he plays, cross back across the tee box to face our 3rd member and then finally tee off myself?

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's no right place to stand - a few wrong ones, obviously.

I'm thinking of 4 tee boxes at my club that, to stand facing the person teeing off, would either involve falling down a bank or trampling a flower bed or two. If they are left handed, we'll be vaulting the Boundary fence!!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
One of my regularly playing partners is left handed, If I were playing in a 4 ball with him and 2 other right handed players, I was last off and my left handed friend was second, are the advocates for standing facing the player playing suggesting that I stand facing the first player to play, cross the tee box so as to be facing my left handed friend when he plays, cross back across the tee box to face our 3rd member and then finally tee off myself?

Just think of all the extra calories you'd burn off.........

Stand by the tee box, quiet, still and let the guy get on with it.
If you're looking for people standing close by you're not looking at the ball - do tee markers get in the way...?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just think of all the extra calories you'd burn off.........

Stand by the tee box, quiet, still and let the guy get on with it.
If you're looking for people standing close by you're not looking at the ball - do tee markers get in the way...?

And all the slow play threads I would be the subject of :D

G

guest100718

Despite your simplistic view of just step up and hit it, there clearly is a strong feeling about where others should or shouldnt stand. My own feelings are when someone pulls a club and steps on to the tee, all moving about and talking should stop.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My own feelings are when someone pulls a club and steps on to the tee, all moving about and talking should stop.

While I agree with this in principle I think it does need the caveat that with some of the pre-shot routines I've seen I could probably start reading War and Peace out loud when a player pulls his club out of the bag and would have finished it before he was ready to hit the ball.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Despite your simplistic view of just step up and hit it, there clearly is a strong feeling about where others should or shouldnt stand. My own feelings are when someone pulls a club and steps on to the tee, all moving about and talking should stop.

I have a simplistic view because it is simple, don't stand too close, don't move and shut up.